Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #15
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
In dry conditions I am fine but once I get caught in rain or wet conditions my wheels get covered in dust.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #16
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post
I'll trade ya for the Brembos!
No flippin' way!!!!!
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:30 AM   #17
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Brakes are a funny thing... I live in the mountains, and I drive hard. Every vehicle I have owned, prior to this here yella Camaro, uses up a set of front pads every 5000 miles, and rears every 20,000 miles. The black dust was an every- single- damn- day- gotta- clean- 'em thing. Just one of the downsides of commuting on 20 miles of winding, elevation- changing roads every day.

Some brands of pad would create less dust than others, though... not even simply based on cost. There were high- dolla pads that made lots of dust, and cheapos that made little. All, however, gave me similar mileage and performance.

However: This Camaro is almost to 80,000 miles now, with original pads. Just checked them a few days ago, looks like they've got another 80,000 left in them. And, while I wash and wax more often than Kim Kardashian, I have yet to see a particle of brake dust. Trust me, this is not for lack of trying... I drive very hard. I go through tires like a madman... but brake pads, not so much.

Final comment on brakes, just sort of random: I used to believe that if you ran your pads too low, you'd have problems. Or, of your rotors were grooved, that you were screwed. My personal testimony contradicts that: A few years ago, I had an '82 Camaro. It was pretty much a heap of crap, and I decided to just drive it until the wheels fell off. I ran the brakes low, lower, and all the way to metal on metal... there was no pad remaining. The rivets on the "pads" dug deep grooves into the rotor. But, who cares? The car still braked well. But, then I changed my mind about the car: Decided to keep it, and NOT actually encourage the wheels to fall off. I changed the pads, but not the rotors. Within a few miles of driving, the pads conformed to the shape of the rotor, performed beautifully, and that (and subsequent sets of pads) lasted just as long as any riding on a mirror- smooth rotor would have. My opinion: Grooves in a rotor ain't nothin' but a thang... just grooves in a rotor (possibly even creating MORE braking surface). No cause for worry, concern, or new rotors.
Agreed. I never turn/replace rotors till they're too thin. Just slap new pads on n drive.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #18
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
I also get tons of brake dust plus I'm looking to get rid of the roller skates so I can use 18 in winter tires/rims.
JDP you have PM

Thanks
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #19
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
I also get tons of brake dust plus I'm looking to get rid of the roller skates so I can use 18 in winter tires/rims.
JDP you have PM

Thanks
Replied!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #20
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
Replied!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
That was fast thank you! Great price btw

Do you recommend the ceramic for less dust? Would this get rid of those "roller skates" ?
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #21
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
That was fast thank you! Great price btw

Do you recommend the ceramic for less dust? Would this get rid of those "roller skates" ?
Yeah the Ceramics are the lowest dust pads available as far as the Hawk line goes. They're great pads as long as you don't get too aggressive with them.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake dust, brakes, brakes calipers cover