Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
mjrchabot

Drives: 2009 Cobalt SS Turbo
The time has come - First test drive!

Well, I finally got to test drive my first 2010 Camaro. It was a 2SS/RS, Cyber Gray, IO rally stripes and matching IO interior, and of course, 6-speed manual tranny.

I've been waiting months to drive one, and my dealer finally got a 2SS as well as an LS from a local dealer who was closing. My sales guy is really good and my dad and I have built up enough trust with him where he will let us take any car out for any length of time. From the second I turned the key over, I knew the experience would be nothing but amazing! I'm 20 years old and my dad is 50 years old; this will be my first Camaro, he had one in the 70s. But as you guessed, he's just as excited for me to get as I am. Here are my impressions broken down...

Interior
This car has plenty of room. I did not find any issue with head space; I'm 6 feet, my dad is probably about 6'2". You sit very low to the ground, which is my favourite riding set up. I'm definitely sold on the 2SS, the leather seats are very comfortable. The leather on the door panels are perfect softness for resting your elbows while driving. Although the dash is made of plastics, it is not cheap looking in any way. The IO inserts really sharpen up the look and adds some nice contrast from the black and grays. I love the media interface, very intuitive and user friendly - less is more. This model did not have a sunroof and I wish it had because I feel enclosed in a car without it.
Visibility was fine. I have a 2-door 2009 Cobalt SS and I would have to say the blind spots are just about equal. I found it took me a couple of minutes to get used to the narrow windshield due to low riding position and the hood cowl. The side mirrors and rear-view mirror do just fine.

Exterior
Beautiful; the lines are absolutely amazing in person. The front fascia is menacing, I certainly wouldn't want to be caught in its path. I've always loved the exterior design from the time of seeing the concept and my opinion still stands. The rear-end is just as beautiful as the back; her hips are wide, and the Corvette-esque tail lights look great with the RS package.

Performance
As I said, from the second I turned the ignition over, I knew I was wielding some serious power. The 6-speed manual tranny is great. I found it was very easy starting from 2nd for the most part; and to be honest, I actually preferred it. Out of respect for being a new car, I never really jumped on the gas too much. But when I did jump on it, the V8 rumble shook through the car and she took off. The clutch is heavier than my Cobalt (as expected) but definitely still manageable. The sound of the exhaust is very nice too; enough to scare an opponent, but not enough to give you a headache over a long trip. The roads I drove it on didn't really give me an idea of how the suspension rides. The roads are nicely paved so as a result the ride was smooth. I wish I could have taken it on some winding roads with some straights - but those just don't exist here.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this car. It did not let my expectations down one bit.
My intentions are to order a Summit White 2SS, with IO interior (or possibly another interior colour option, if available) in March 2010.
mjrchabot is offline   Reply With Quote