Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-17-2009, 04:48 AM   #1
UberFlaco
Certified Zombie Hunter

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Noweeds install $$?

Just wondering what you guys have paid or what you guys would recommend paying to have Noweeds exhaust diverters installed. I've seen Noweeds boast about the ease of installation but when I called a shop they recommended I was quoted $400 for install. That seems a bit steep especially when there's no welding involved. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
UberFlaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:56 AM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
It takes all of 15-30 minutes if you have the right tools according to the video. You make four cuts, you slide on clamps, you insert the diverters, you slide the clamps over both sides and tighten.

I'm sure they're charging you for using their lift and powertools, not for the manual labor. Even at $100/hr, you should be charged for 1 hour tops imo.

I've never installed them before so don't take my word for it, but that's just how I see it.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
Mzodarg
Remembering those in Blue

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Blk w/IOM Int
With what you were quoted and the High Camaro tax of the no weeds your only paying $1300, add a set of decent headers and exhaust-your over half way to a maggie twin screw.

I would suggest you look around at QTP or DMH performance. Yeah Noweeds Looks good, but who cares- you can't see it.

Just my opinion-

Mike
Old 12-17-2009, 06:07 AM   #4
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

If he has to pass visual inspection for smog or anyting, it's easier to unclamp and replace stock pipe piece than trying to unweld something. That's what you're paying for with the noweeds kit. Personally I'm going with DMH, but I can definitely see the appeal to noweeds.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #5
Mzodarg

Mindz- OK ah yeah there could be a need for that. I see he is from Texas- no Sniffer requirement there.

No weeds in My opinion Is just flat out overpriced, again this is my opinion. $1300 for some sound, to each his own.

Mike
Old 12-17-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Gotcha. Here in CA, they're sticklers for visual inspestion.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
Mzodarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Gotcha. Here in CA, they're sticklers for visual inspestion.
In your situation, I can understand. I would get a set of QTPs or DMH, take them to a muffler shop have them expand them so I can use them as slip ons-gets some muffle clamps and be done with it. No weld...

mike
Old 12-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
X-treme Horsepower

Drives: 2010 LSX Shootout World AM Finalist
all the cuouts we install here at the shop are QTP they are not ridiculously high and they work great i actually have a set on my personal truck
give me a call and i could get you set up on a quote
X-treme Horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
Yellow2010

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS 2010
I put the Noweeds system on my camaro and would not have it any other way. It is just two cuts, about three inches before the h pipe, then bolt the system up. The wiring of the system is just as simple. Over all a very easy install. The sound is awesome. You can have them wide open when you want to play and closed when you are just riding around. You get the best of both worlds. Also a great company to do busy with, great customer service. Steve and everybody at Noweeds are the best. Just my two cents.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #10
now

Drives: silverado ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzodarg View Post
Mindz- OK ah yeah there could be a need for that. I see he is from Texas- no Sniffer requirement there.

No weeds in My opinion Is just flat out overpriced, again this is my opinion. $1300 for some sound, to each his own.

Mike
Mike you have mentioned our cost in numerous threads without (by no fault of your own) fully studying the total out of pocket cost and product differences between our diverters and the cutouts from different companies. Please review my post from another thread as its not fair to judge a product based on cost alone. If that were the case we would all have a Prius instead of a Camaro. They are both cars... why not buy the cheap one?? We don't because we know there is a difference in what you pay for.

Based on total cost- we are very close. To get the SAME RESULT and if you want to truly compare apples to apples you would need to get 4 cutouts all in sync tucked up under there. I think then we would be much cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noweeds.net
After reading some of the posts in this tread its apparent that we need to explain some of the differences between a weld-in cutout vs. our bolt-in diverter. I know some guys have made up their minds which is totally cool and I know someone will flame me for pointing out these differences but I'm just responding to the thread starter who is asking about the differences. Please point out if there are any inaccuracies here as i will change them.

DESIGN: First off, the basic design is totally different. A cutout is an adjustable opening cutout of the side of the pipe allowing exhaust gas to not only continue through the factory exhaust but also take a 90 degree turn out the hole which is what we all hear and love Our diverter takes this "same concept" to the next level. Not only does it open the exhaust but it does it in an absolute straight line for smoother more direct exit of the exhaust gas. Now with the LOUD side straight out we even took it another step further and added the industrys only - 2nd butterfly to guarantee 100% open headers. All exhaust has only one choice. Straight out. The second butterfly was a key component we developed the system back in 2002 and believe me it does get louder when its 100% instead of some of both. It would take 4 cutouts to get the same result.

INSTALLATION: Our installation is so simple - most of our customers do it themselves in their driveways. We don't even charge our local customers for installation because it only takes 30-45 minutes for us to do cause we have had some practice. Customers usually say its a 2hr process doing it themselves. Cutouts typically cost $300.00 for installation unless you have a lift, plasma cutter, welder, etc... to do that yourself. I know some of you 'know a guy' that will do it for less... but the QTP people themselves charge $300.00.

COST: In order to make a 'cash out of my pocket' fair comparison just on cost alone- you would need to order the QTP system for $365.00, plus the turn downs (which actually don't turn down) $40.00, upgraded controller $120.00, shipping ?? $20.00, and installation $300.00. for a total of $845.00.

Our do it yourself product is $900.00 plus a couple hours of time, for a difference of $55.00. If you have a shop install it- it would only take $100.00 so the difference would then be $155.00.

You can't make a fair comparison on cost unless you consider the total cost.

WARRANTY: Them- 90 days?. Us- 2 years.

Both of these systems work and do what they are intended to do and truly change this car into an animal. We just chose a different way to go. I know our product is more expensive cause it is. We could have built the system cheaper with electric motors instead of $200.00ea screw drive linear actuators but we didn't. We could also send out a box of parts that the typical consumer couldn't install but we didn't - we assemble all that for them.

Our entire system is designed around customers doing it themselves and installing a system that is of high quality, factory in appearance, reversible back to stock, and is virtually bulletproof.

Hopes this helps clear up some of the differences! Thanks to all our CAMARO5 customers!
now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
Mzodarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by noweeds.net View Post
Mike you have mentioned our cost in numerous threads without (by no fault of your own) fully studying the total out of pocket cost and product differences between our diverters and the cutouts from different companies. Please review my post from another thread as its not fair to judge a product based on cost alone. If that were the case we would all have a Prius instead of a Camaro. They are both cars... why not buy the cheap one?? We don't because we know there is a difference in what you pay for.

Based on total cost- we are very close. To get the SAME RESULT and if you want to truly compare apples to apples you would need to get 4 cutouts all in sync tucked up under there. I think then we would be much cheaper.
Hey dude,
Dont take it personal, it's true. Way to much money for what they are. I am not bashing the product but seriously $900+ for noise.

I just spent $1900 for a some Kooks Headers, HF CATS and a tune, along with a CAI Inc intake, and Solo Mach X cat back Total spent was $3100. With the CIA and Solo already installed base dyno was close to 80 HP lower than the final. Now in my book that is money well spent. Noweeds for $900+ for no realworld gain and some noise is a big waste of money IMHO! There is alternatives.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #12
eddie SS
ALWAYS A MARINE......!!!

Drives: 2010 camaro IOM/2SS/RS/sunroof
Send a message via AIM to eddie SS
I spent about $100.00 for my install of the NOWEEDS system... $400 is absurd. Go somewhere else. Enjoy, b/c it's an awesome system. I keep getting soo many compliments on it by regular folks, mechanics from various places I've been and even the guys at my chevy dealer. The techs at the dealership were thoroughly impressed with product quality, fit and sound.

Mods so far: SOLO Performance MACH XL cat-back exhaust, NOWEEDS exhaust diverters, Tinted windows, gas cap decal, bow tie black outs, Cold Air Inc CAI, Eibach Pro kit lowering springs

Mods I have but not installed yet: rear trunk black out, Diablosport Trinity

Future Mods: ARH long tube w/ high flow cats or Dynatech's SuperMaXX long tube w/ high flow cats, Maggie S/C
eddie SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
IBM10

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS RS
Noweeds system took me apx. 2 hrs. to install. VERY nice product. Alot of fun.
IBM10 is offline   Reply With Quote