Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Protective Paint Film..

I almost bought one time for my Truck some 3M Scotchguard Paint Film Protection type of stuff (clearmask.. whatever) because out here in Kansas, it is more then likely you'll end up behind a semi and it'll toss some rocks around. Or the wind blasting at 40 mph will sandblast your car.

Well when i get my Camaro I want to protect the paint as much as possible.

Anyone ever use this type of stuff? Is it good? is there better stuff out there?
Old 01-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
I haven't used any of those, but believe me no paint protectant will stop stone chips from happening. They may afford minimal protection from the wear of sandblasting, but is the soil really all that sandy in Kansas?
Today's clearcoats are very tough and durable. The paint really needs no additional protection, but most people feel better knowing there's wax on top of it and some may actually improve the shine somewhat.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
I have a couple of buddies who have it on their precious BMW's and Porsche's. We all have black cars and after I looked at their cars with the 3m film, we all looked at the front of my SS and boy - did the front of my car ever look like crap with all the paint chips. I looked their cars over closely and the key is to find someone who uses computer aided cuting which makes the film look like it was specifically designed for the car. Some guys eyeball it and it does not look as good. It is something I will definitely be considering.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
Ject
aka Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I have a couple of buddies who have it on their precious BMW's and Porsche's. We all have black cars and after I looked at their cars with the 3m film, we all looked at the front of my SS and boy - did the front of my car ever look like crap with all the paint chips. I looked their cars over closely and the key is to find someone who uses computer aided cuting which makes the film look like it was specifically designed for the car. Some guys eyeball it and it does not look as good. It is something I will definitely be considering.
Yeah theres some places here that will pre cut it by computer specifically for your car and you can option to install or do it yourself.

Its something I have been looking into for a while but didn't know how well it works and how it looks.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
NVMY68SS
Drives #296

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS - 350/5 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
I haven't used any of those, but believe me no paint protectant will stop stone chips from happening. They may afford minimal protection from the wear of sandblasting, but is the soil really all that sandy in Kansas?
Today's clearcoats are very tough and durable. The paint really needs no additional protection, but most people feel better knowing there's wax on top of it and some may actually improve the shine somewhat.
I disagree with a few things here.........

This protective film will protect the paint from chips....I have friends that have it on their Z06s and it works. Some unprotected cars wish they had sprung for it..it's definitely worth a shot. I've seen too many daily drivers that suffer from road rash on the front end. It's another layer and it should protect you.

Yes, clearcoats are tough, but they still need regular applications of wax, polish, whatever you choose. Paint and clearcoats dry out over time. The right product will replenish the oils in the finish and provide additional shine as well as protection from the elements. Let a bird crap on unprotected clear coat vs regularly protected and see which one gets etched first. ANY level of protection is better than nothing. I have a 4 year old clearcoat finish on my 68 and it never gets anything but weekend use. It hasn't been washed in 3 years unless it's gotten caught in a freak shower. After each fresh application of Zymol you can actually see the paint get darker. Plus, it's a lot easier to detail after that.
NVMY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Well, I must apologize for my ignorant post, Ject. I thought you were talking about a wipe-on, wipe-off polymer type protectant, but obviously this film goes way beyond that. If anyone would like to explain more about it, I'd like to know.

EDIT: The extra layer of protection wax gives the clearcoat does make sense, NVMY68SS. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
fastdoc436

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,35thLE/SS,30thAE/SS
I have the protective film on my Cooper S and it works great!! It does protect from small rock chips...larger rocks will still damage the finish (and the metal). My complaint is that, over time, you can see fine road dirt collect under the edges near the cutouts for the headlamps and fog lights--but the car is a Pepperwhite color. You can have the film removed and re-installed if this would bother you...but it definitely protects the paint from minor road debris/droppings/etc.
fastdoc436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
fixxer56
Thin Blue Line

Drives: ABM 2LT/RS #10094
Send a message via AIM to fixxer56
fastdoc, where might we find it on the net?
Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #9
fastdoc436

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,35thLE/SS,30thAE/SS
fixxer56, I don't know where to find it on the internet...it was dealer installed at BMW dealer in Indpls. I'll have to check around and see if it's available on the internet--perhaps a speed shop or something like AutoAnything sites. Sorry.
fastdoc436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
I had it on my M3...thought highly of it until I hit the edge of it with the clay bar....the line was forever visible after that.

Additionally...the dealer the pull too far up on a parking 'block' and scratched the underside...necessitating the removal of the the entire lower portion...so I just removed the whole thing. That was perhaps the worlds largest pain in the ass....it DOES NOT come off easy....and the removal risks scratching the paint.

I won't ever put one on another car...

Last edited by themossman; 01-28-2009 at 09:14 PM.
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
Ject
aka Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
I had it on my M3...thought highly of it until I hit the edge of it with the clay bar....the line was forever visible after that.

Additionally...the dealer the pull too far up on a parking 'block' and scratched the underside...necessitating the removal of the the entire lower portion...so I just removed the whole thing. That was perhaps the worlds largest pain in the ass....it DOES NOT come off easy....and the removal risks scratching the paint.

I won't even put one on another car...
I was wondering how hard the removal process was/is...
Old 01-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #12
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
www.rockblocker.com
Old 01-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
SO this covers the whole car??
Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
ucla1ove3