Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-11-2014, 05:16 AM   #1
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Tuning a LFX V6 (2014 2LS)

Hi all! (first post here)

According to Wikipedia's page for the engine it appears that GM has maximized the output of this engine quite a bit already, the Camaro having the most aggressive specs of any other model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine#LFX

I've had a Trifecta tune once before. The auto transmission shift points improved on that vehicle, otherwise it was only a nominal performance bump with a CAI (only mod available at the time for the car). [fwiw the auto in the Camaro is one of the best I've ever driven, smooth shifts and good hunting behavior]

It would seem that unless I went all out and bolted everything I could onto this car, that the tune alone would not yield much. One Trifecta reseller posted 24hp/17tq gains with a CAI. I wonder how much of that is the Tune vs the CAI+Tune.

Anyway, just wondering what the owners here thought before I consider splurging another $450 into the car.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #2
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
sorry i have no experience with the V6 but i can tell you that GM has again (like other manufacturers) left power on the table to be unlocked. the real question is weather or not your willing to spend the money to feel it.

if it were me i would wait till HPTuners comes out with support for your car...its just around the corner...like weeks or months.

also regardless of your bolt ons, or lack of, you will and can benefit from a tune so hopefully the future posters that post on this thread can just tell you what kind of gains that felt and received from a tune so you can decide if you want to spend another 400+ bucks. for what its worth a tune is just like a bolt on when it comes to power imo its probably the best thing you can do to unlock power if it were me id do it ...you know your gunna get more outta your car for sure.

hope that helps
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
BlackoutLFX

Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
sorry i have no experience with the V6 but i can tell you that GM has again (like other manufacturers) left power on the table to be unlocked. the real question is weather or not your willing to spend the money to feel it.

if it were me i would wait till HPTuners comes out with support for your car...its just around the corner...like weeks or months.

also regardless of your bolt ons, or lack of, you will and can benefit from a tune so hopefully the future posters that post on this thread can just tell you what kind of gains that felt and received from a tune so you can decide if you want to spend another 400+ bucks. for what its worth a tune is just like a bolt on when it comes to power imo its probably the best thing you can do to unlock power if it were me id do it ...you know your gunna get more outta your car for sure.

hope that helps
hp tuners added support for the 2014 v6 camaro October of last year.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...-support-added
Nytrex 100 hp nitrous triple threat system, NytrexAccu-pressure bottle heater, HP tuners, K&N Typhoon CAI, MACE 6mm MI, Solo Performance high flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder cat back exhaust system, BMR subframe connectors, BMR tunnel brace, BMR lowering springs, BMR Xtreme Anti-roll bar rear, Hotchkins Strut brace, SS/LS3 3.45 LSD, Axles, and hubs, Elite Engineering catch can, B&M Supercooler transmission cooler, FTI 3200 Stall.

Last edited by BlackoutLFX; 03-11-2014 at 07:42 AM. Reason: link
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
BlackoutLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
Hi all! (first post here)

According to Wikipedia's page for the engine it appears that GM has maximized the output of this engine quite a bit already, the Camaro having the most aggressive specs of any other model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine#LFX

I've had a Trifecta tune once before. The auto transmission shift points improved on that vehicle, otherwise it was only a nominal performance bump with a CAI (only mod available at the time for the car). [fwiw the auto in the Camaro is one of the best I've ever driven, smooth shifts and good hunting behavior]

It would seem that unless I went all out and bolted everything I could onto this car, that the tune alone would not yield much. One Trifecta reseller posted 24hp/17tq gains with a CAI. I wonder how much of that is the Tune vs the CAI+Tune.

Anyway, just wondering what the owners here thought before I consider splurging another $450 into the car.
What year?
Nytrex 100 hp nitrous triple threat system, NytrexAccu-pressure bottle heater, HP tuners, K&N Typhoon CAI, MACE 6mm MI, Solo Performance high flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder cat back exhaust system, BMR subframe connectors, BMR tunnel brace, BMR lowering springs, BMR Xtreme Anti-roll bar rear, Hotchkins Strut brace, SS/LS3 3.45 LSD, Axles, and hubs, Elite Engineering catch can, B&M Supercooler transmission cooler, FTI 3200 Stall.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
1KillerSS

sorry i saw from Bil lat hpt that they have not
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
Old 03-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #6
1KillerSS

didnt see that it was not an LLT

Build thread
Old 03-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I've heard great things about IPF and Matt@FSP
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:45 AM   #8
stoopid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
What year?
Sorry, 2014.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #9
cliffdog89

Drives: 2LT/RS M6 '12 Camaro
go with Matt@FSP - he can pull about 20 more rwhp out of your car. he has mail order packages. I am definitely going with this mail order package when my warranty is closer to expiring (I have the extended 5 year plan since it is a DD).
Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #10
BlackoutLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
didnt see that it was not an LLT
Soon, very soon!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:23 AM   #11
stoopid

http://www.floridaspeedandpower.com/...-flash-tuning/

It doesn't include the cable, which I'd like to have in case I need to revert to stock for any reason.

For $465 I get the cable included with this Trifecta tune (Jerry did the tune on the Sonic I owned a year ago):

http://store.badnewsracing.net/Trife...-36L_p_38.html

Same price for this other Trifecta tuner:

http://www.phastekperformance.com/Tr...ro-tune-v6.htm

So I guess the question is what does FSP do that commands the premium pricing?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #12
stoopid

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
So I guess the question is what does FSP do that commands the premium pricing?
Well, it didn't take long to find the answer (even if not posted in this thread)...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334757
Old 03-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #13
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Matt@FSP just does great work... He's posted dyno results of his tuning and he always makes great gains.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #14
stoopid

I require a cable with the tune, so FSP is out.