Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #29
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessika@SCC View Post
No. The lysholm is a twin screw supercharger. The SLP is a roots supercharger.

sent from my Note2 using Tapatalk
Thanks Jess!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #30
bob2010ss

Drives: Turbocharged 2010 GLOSSY NARDO GREY
i am biased....but TURBONETICS KIT!!!!
just for the uniqueness factor
bob2010ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #31
Country Boy

Drives: Eh..
Turbos are cool and all, but they have many more parts. When I built the turbo for my 2001 SS, there was a ton of parts that killed me. There was 2 things I didn't like about the turbo , one was the hit at full spool. To me, it felt like a N2O hit (used to be a HEAVY N2O junkie) and would kill any chance of traction. A SC is gradual with RPM and giving a lineal power curve. Also is spool on a turbo. No traction = no load = no spool. I couldn't get my full spool of 12 psi until 4th gear.

BTW~ first post.
Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #32
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
That just means you had the wrong size turbo.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #33
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
I've had a similar dilemna over the last few weeks as all the vendors can attest, I decided to go turbo even though all my mods lean towards a SC.

A few reasons:

1) More power can be made from a turbo with simple adjustments, vs pulley swaps and different units etc...

2) It is more efficient as it uses none of the engine to produce boost which was a big deal for me as I am thinking about longevity here.

3) If tuned correctly the lag can be all but eliminated giving it a more linear power curve but not the torque monster shredding tires from 0mph on..

3) I got a sweet deal
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #34
Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
That just means you had the wrong size turbo.
Not the wrong size at all. It was a T76GTS on a T4 frame with a. 96ar. Perfect for the LS motor i had. Made 600/600 straight off the street with no adders to the wheels. Turbos work off of load. Try to get one to spool while in park or neutral. No traction = no load/ much less load = no to very little spool.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #35
Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
I've had a similar dilemna over the last few weeks as all the vendors can attest, I decided to go turbo even though all my mods lean towards a SC.

A few reasons:

1) More power can be made from a turbo with simple adjustments, vs pulley swaps and different units etc...

2) It is more efficient as it uses none of the engine to produce boost which was a big deal for me as I am thinking about longevity here.

3) If tuned correctly the lag can be all but eliminated giving it a more linear power curve but not the torque monster shredding tires from 0mph on..

3) I got a sweet deal
The SCs these days take very little to drive. A turbo you will have back pressure.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #36
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Boy SS View Post
The SCs these days take very little to drive. A turbo you will have back pressure.

I have never been FI so I dont know, but I do believe you about the SC. As far as the backpressure kick, can most of this not be mitigated with proper tune?
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #37
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Boy SS View Post

Belt driven superchargers are still known to be about 50% efficient, whereas Turbos are closer to 80% efficient.

Look at the bigger picture... rather than throwing out a way over simplified statement, especially a statement of questionable accuracy....

I will concede that turbo's create back pressure... that's the nature of the beast... Proper sizing and well designed manifolds will minimize this problem and increase the efficiency of the system. As with any form of forced induction.

I run 2- 67/66 Precision's on my car right now, and with a simple manifold change, gained over 100 HP. I have to mention that I went from the factory cast manifolds to handmade stainless tube manifolds, and we gained over 400 rpm to full boost RPM... I'm making 18 lbs of boost over 400 RPM's earlier... hence... a more efficient system...

Cam, exhaust, and intake selections also play a big part of the efficiency and productivity of the engine... But back to the original statement, belt driven superchargers still take roughly 50% of the power they make to run themselves... while turbos take 10-20 percent of the power they make to run themselves...

It all goes back to driving style and performance desires... A good shop will steer you in the right direction based on your desires and budget...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #38
Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
It all goes back to driving style and performance desires... A good shop will steer you in the right direction based on your desires and budget...
This is the best statement in this thread. Both have their ups and downs, but most always think turbos are "free power" which isn't the case.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #39
RBL

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
Just so everybody knows I hooked up with Jessica at supercharger connection and picked up a SLP tvs2300 kit. PCM for less in Moresville in NC will be installing my kit tomorrow.

3.4 pulley, ZR1 MAP, ZL1 pump, roto-fab intake, OBX long tube headers, no cats, magnaflow vt axle back and the ls9 injectors it comes with.
RBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #40
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBL View Post
Just so everybody knows I hooked up with Jessica at supercharger connection and picked up a SLP tvs2300 kit. PCM for less in Moresville in NC will be installing my kit tomorrow.

3.4 pulley, ZR1 MAP, ZL1 pump, roto-fab intake, OBX long tube headers, no cats, magnaflow vt axle back and the ls9 injectors it comes with.
Squeeeeeeee!
Two builds starting tomorrow! Exciting

sent from my Note2 using Tapatalk
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #41
Cycule

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Send a message via AIM to Cycule Send a message via Yahoo to Cycule Send a message via Skype™ to Cycule
Go hellion twin turbos man. You never have to change for more power
Old 11-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #42
RBL

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycule View Post
Go hellion twin turbos man. You never have to change for more power
I would have liked to but money was a factor.
RBL is offline   Reply With Quote