Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #29
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
So does that mean that those of us that have these tires on our cars need to store the tires in warmer conditions? In my case, my car is kept in a barn under a car cover, but the barn is not weather proof or insulated. It does however have a cement floor. Should I remove my wheels for winter and store them in my house? Thoughts?
"STREET LEGAL" 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Convertible -- 2.9l Whipple Supercharger, CDC SportBar, Cordon CR-1 and MRR M017 wheels, Hex Vents, RPI ZL1 Splitter, CAI, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers, high-flow cats, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.875" pulley, ADM FPCM, 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit, Elite Catch Can, APEX scoop and washer bottle relocation kit, Hotchkis lowering springs, BMR sways, BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms, 620 rwhp, 564 rwtq, and tuned by Andrew Zurick of Complete Street Performance by way of Maryland Speed.
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #30
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
PSB #2011-10

TO: Goodyear Contract Dealers, Goodyear Canada Inc. Dealers, Goodyear Company Owned Stores

Subject: Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 Summer Tires Not Recommended for Winter Use

Goodyear F1 Supercar G:2’s are D.O.T. approved ultra high performance summer tires with track capability. The rubber used in these tires loses flexibility and may develop surface cracks in the tire tread/shoulder area at colder temperatures. Goodyear does not recommend using these high performance summer tires when temperatures drop to approximately 40 deg F (5 deg C) or below, or in snow/ice conditions.

Tire Storage
Follow the general tire storage recommendations in Product Service Bulletin 2010-21, Proper Procedures for the Storage of Tires. Further, it is recommended for these tires to be stored indoors at temperatures above 20 deg F (-7 deg C) when not in use. If the tires have been subject to 20 deg F (-7 deg C) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 40 deg F for 24 hours or more before installation or driving the vehicle. Inflate the tires only after they have been warmed above 40 deg F (5 deg C). Do not place tires near heaters or heating devices used to warm the room where the tires are stored. Do not apply heat or blow heated air directly on the tires. Always inspect tires before use after storage periods as outlined in the Proper Procedures for the Storage of Tires bulletin.

THE GOODYEAR TIRE & RUBBER COMPANY, GOODYEAR CANADA INC.
PRODUCT SERVICE DEPARTMENT

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #31
L36L72LS3
Jersey Jeff

Drives: 1969 Camaro L89/T400 ~ 2015 ZL1
Good call.......I concur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
If you're not ordering a 1LE or ZL1, don't worry about it, it does not affect you. It certainly isn't affecting me. I got mine.

Doesn't matter if YOU can drive year round. The cars don't sit in climate controlled comfort in Oshawa. They're OUTSIDE...and in Oshawa, if you haven't got the memo yet...gets COLD. So cold it can affect the tire situation.

GM is not going to play musical chairs with tires. If you don't like it, then wait until spring and put in your order. You can probably place an order with your dealer now and in February, they'll make yours.

It's out of your hands, and if you think you can change it, don't. Because you can't. The word has come down from the mountain. Get over it, get on with life. Go find a cure for cancer or something. It's a higher priority than ZL1/1LE orders.
You make sense!

JerseyJeff
L36L72LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #32
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Wow those tires sound like a PITA. If I owned a car that used them I would definitely have a set of "Cold Weather Tires" to put on.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #33
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
From the way that bulletin reads you can store the tires below 20 degrees, but you have to understand that they are going to be brittle. If you do anything that stresses the rubber; drive, inflate, etc., you run risk of cracking the tires. You must let them slowly warm up through and through before driving again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #34
MIZL1

Drives: Just a few!
Remember this is still a business, lots of cars on lots maybe create a sense of urgency now, stack up orders till spring and bang out a bunch of them. With the amount of money spent developing these cars I find it hard to believe they couldn't deliver to warm climates. People get fired for much less every day, missing 1/4 of the production is a smoke screen NOT created by tires.

Really GM... tires???
MIZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #35
OperativeXIV

Drives: 2012 Summit White 2LT/RS
Can you buy a set of daily driver wheels that will work for the 364 days a year you use the car otherwise, and for that one day when you want to break records you can put on these super-duper tires? Or is there some sort of reason you're stuck with summer only tires on the high performance cars?

I'm looking to get a ZL1 maybe a year or so from now once we know more about the 2016s, but it would be a daily driver... I'm not sure how much a consideration it would be in the decision, but it's a little disconcerting to find out how finicky the 'stock' tires are. For those one or two days a year here in Phoenix when we get below the 40's, or that spur of the moment trip up to the mountains it would be nice not having to consider my traction getting severely compromised or the tires cracking.

Sorry if I helped the thread go off topic. :/
Old 11-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #36
Genob4c

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
Why not just ship them with "basic" tires and have the dealer switch them out? Then you can have a disclaimer signed explaining that the tires are not good in the snow/cold and recommend switching tires or winterizing the vehicle until Spring. What about those in warmer climates
When my ZL1 came in last January, I had the dealer put on Conti Extreme Contacts before I took delivery. In KY, we have a lot of nice days with cold temps. I'm very happy with the Contis. Sold my factory tires to a forum member. Everybody happy.

Geno

Former:
2013 ZL1 Vert – Crystal Red
1978 Corvette Pace Car
1969 Pace Car
1969 Z/28 – Cortez Silver, 1974 LT/Z28 Blue
1974 Z28 Dark Green , 1976 Camaro Type LT – Black
1980 Z28 – Charcoal, 1981 Z28 – Dark Blue
1981 Z28 – Claret, 1982 Pace Car
1986 IROC – Red, 1993 Z28 – Red
1996 Z28 vert, 1998 Z28 Dk Blue
2002 B4C 2004 Vette – LeMans Blue
2008 Vette - CRT
2011 Camaro Pace Car
Genob4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #37
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwk1971 View Post
So does that mean that those of us that have these tires on our cars need to store the tires in warmer conditions? In my case, my car is kept in a barn under a car cover, but the barn is not weather proof or insulated. It does however have a cement floor. Should I remove my wheels for winter and store them in my house? Thoughts?
Just don't move the car if it's below 20, of which in MD is rarely an issue.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #38
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
Just don't move the car if it's below 20, of which in MD is rarely an issue.

Good point. Although they are calling for temps around 23 this week and it is only November.
"STREET LEGAL" 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Convertible -- 2.9l Whipple Supercharger, CDC SportBar, Cordon CR-1 and MRR M017 wheels, Hex Vents, RPI ZL1 Splitter, CAI, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers, high-flow cats, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.875" pulley, ADM FPCM, 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit, Elite Catch Can, APEX scoop and washer bottle relocation kit, Hotchkis lowering springs, BMR sways, BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms, 620 rwhp, 564 rwtq, and tuned by Andrew Zurick of Complete Street Performance by way of Maryland Speed.
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #39
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIZL1 View Post
Remember this is still a business, lots of cars on lots maybe create a sense of urgency now, stack up orders till spring and bang out a bunch of them. With the amount of money spent developing these cars I find it hard to believe they couldn't deliver to warm climates. People get fired for much less every day, missing 1/4 of the production is a smoke screen NOT created by tires.

Really GM... tires???

Yes - TIRES.

You don't have to believe me - but I simply tell you to go look at this very site last March - people were upset because their 1LEs and ZL1s were sitting at the plant.............

Yes. Tires.

No conspiracy here.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #40
papsz

Drives: Crystal Red 2013 ZL1
I have a hard time believing GM would suspend production of $55000.00 cars because of tires unless they are obligated to mount GY F1s. My 13 was loaded to rail from Oshawa and transported via truck late January, then tested by the dealer Feb. 1, as as result the tires were severly cracked before I took delivery. Of course no one knew about the tires
at the dealership. It is my opinion the GM really layed an egg with these tires and now won't produce the cars because of them. How about all of the folks in the south that just have to wait
papsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #41
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by papsz View Post
I have a hard time believing GM would suspend production of $55000.00 cars because of tires unless they are obligated to mount GY F1s. My 13 was loaded to rail from Oshawa and transported via truck late January, then tested by the dealer Feb. 1, as as result the tires were severly cracked before I took delivery. Of course no one knew about the tires
at the dealership. It is my opinion the GM really layed an egg with these tires and now won't produce the cars because of them. How about all of the folks in the south that just have to wait
If you paid $55000 for a car that was supposed to come with supercar performance tires but then because you ordered it in the winter they put a set of mud and snow rated tires on it you would be ranting because you didn't get what you were supposed to get..
Old 11-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #42
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by papsz View Post
Those tires are part of the package. The car must be sold as advertised.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote