Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #1
Oscarc2011

Drives: Camaro V6
"Service Airbag" notification help

Hello fellow members, I have a quick question my 2010 Camaro recently started getting a service airbag notification. I notice it happens more often when a person is sitting on the passenger seat. The notification ask occurs when I am driving alone but interminently. I got the vehicle scanned and it doesn't show any codes, has anyone experienced somethint similar, maybe someone can offer some advice. Thank you in advance!!
Oscarc2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #2
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
I have been through this hell, my friend... and the prognosis is not good.

Mine turned out to the "Passenger Presence Sensor," or, PPS, which is an astoundingly complicated mat within the horizontal- flat portion of the passenger seat that detects the presence of the passenger.

I tried everything in the book to work around this (I tried to simply wire the seat as "on" at all times by jump- wiring it), tried finding ANY other solution other than handing over a giant stack of cash to the dealer.

The first dealer I went to charged me $100 to diagnose, would not give me a WRITTEN breakdown (verbal only!), and just told me I needed $1300 worth of work, to include the PPS and the control module.

Second dealer I went to (since I had my doubts) figured out it was just the PPS. Cost me $900, parts and labor (I was unable to find any non- dealer shop willing to tackle the PPS install, and, having no info available on the task, I was unwilling to do it myself... wouldn't have saved me much anyhow, as the PPS unit alone is fairly pricey (I don't recall the number)).

My original symptoms were an occasional warning that the airbag was not working (a chime, flashing icon, dash message) with a passenger in place. Soon, it progressed to similar warnings when no passenger was in the car, and eventually, it just stayed in a state of 'full- on error' at all times. Made me insane.

You may need to pony up some bucks for this... it's the only major problem I've had with the car, so I can't complain too much, but, damn... that's still $900 I would be able to name a LOT of funner ways to spend.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #3
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Scalded Dog is correct. The part itself is ridiculously expensive for what it is. There is a thread on here somewhere on how to replace it. I was lucky. When I saw it, it was just a loose connection from where I stuffed something under the passenger seat because I was in a hurry.

I've also seen a Recaro plug that is supposed to make the ECM think everything is ok for people who replace the stock seats with aftermarket units. That might get you past it, but the ECM will no longer turn the passenger side airbag off if you have a child riding in that seat.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
cheaper to buy entire seat with hardware installed?
havelegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:45 PM   #5
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
cheaper to buy entire seat with hardware installed?
That's a good question. I would imagine a wrecking yard would sell a seat for under $500, but, then, you might end up with a fault issue there. No idea how much a new seat would cost, but it's worth looking into...
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #6
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarc2011 View Post
Hello fellow members, I have a quick question my 2010 Camaro recently started getting a service airbag notification. I notice it happens more often when a person is sitting on the passenger seat. The notification ask occurs when I am driving alone but interminently. I got the vehicle scanned and it doesn't show any codes, has anyone experienced somethint similar, maybe someone can offer some advice. Thank you in advance!!
While I've not had any problems with my Passenger Presence Sensor, I did convert my passenger seat from manual to power and I have replaced the seat bottom heater elements in both of my front seats. So, I have had that sensor out and back in.

The sensor is P/N 20972507 and it is available all over the internet wholesale.

It's $282.50 at GM PartsDirect.com http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/20972507

$308.17 at Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/General-Motors.../dp/B008Y96XGO

$300.00 on e-Bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2015-Ca...-/261718689358

The installation is straight forward enough. You will have to remove the passenger seat, which is easy, just 2 bolts and 1 connector, and remove the bottom cover. You do have to cut hog-rings to remove the cover, so you need hog-rings and hog-ring pliers to put it back on. I took my passenger seat bottom to an upholstery shop and had them re-install the cover, but I bought hog-rings and hog-ring pliers for my drivers seat and reinstalled it myself. The one I did looks just as good as the one the upholstery shop did.

I hear these people who say they don't want to do their own work, but when dealers start quoting over a $1000 for something that is not difficult, that's when I start tearing into it myself.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:29 AM   #7
CLARKPRIDE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 2011
airbag360.com worked for mine. 85$ shipped
CLARKPRIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #8
SMOKNZ

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARKPRIDE View Post
airbag360.com worked for mine. 85$ shipped
x2 Simple fix except my seatbelt warning was always going off because the car thought someone was now sitting in the seat without a belt on. Got a seat belt clip and plugged it in the passenger seat belt clip as I usually ride solo.
SMOKNZ is offline   Reply With Quote