Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
caligrown562

Drives: 2012 1SS
theft attempt question

back when I first bought my car I was having a problem with my alarm going off in the middle of the night for no reason. took it to the dealer and they adjusted the sensitivity on the shock sensors and haven't had a problem since. my question is does the alarm have to go off to get the theft attempt warning? when my alarm goes off it usually wakes everyone up in the house but I didn't hear anything last night and I got the three honks and message this morning. the only thing I can think of is I usually check to make sure my doors are locked every night by yanking on the handle. could I have pulled the handle hard enough to set the system off without the alarm going off? thanks
caligrown562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
There are no "shock sensors" on the factory alarm system. The alarm sounds only if a door, the trunk, or hood are opened. Those are sensed by on/off switches. The dealer should be able to see what triggered the event using a scan tool.

The "Theft attempted" message only appears when a tamper condition occurs. Notwithstanding, the controller could be logging "false-positives" without setting off the alarm. Your dealer will need to do some homework.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
caligrown562

Drives: 2012 1SS
well when I bought the car it came with a dealer aftermarket alarm with shock sensors. I have set it off before riding my Harley by it. doesn't look like anyone hit it or tried to break in. I just think its weird how no one heard my alarm. shit freaks me out when stuff like this happens and have to clue what really happened.
caligrown562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
My guess would be a module problem, such as a BCM. If one of the inputs such as a door or trunk would have tripped, the alarm would have been going off. Plus if those circuits were having a problem, you'd be getting messages such as door ajar when driving down the road. The odd problems like that are often in the main module that controls that system.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrown562 View Post
well when I bought the car it came with a dealer aftermarket alarm with shock sensors. I have set it off before riding my Harley by it. doesn't look like anyone hit it or tried to break in. I just think its weird how no one heard my alarm. shit freaks me out when stuff like this happens and have to clue what really happened.
Strip it out, make the dealer give a refund. The car has a factory alarm. As you have found the aftermarket systems are garbage.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Strip it out, make the dealer give a refund. The car has a factory alarm. As you have found the aftermarket systems are garbage.
+1

All bets are off with an add-on system installed.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
+1

All bets are off with an add-on system installed.

+2
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
I know this is an old thread but are there any updates? I have the factory alarm on my ZL1. Last week I heard the alarm go off while I was at a dealership looking at a car for someone. No one was near the car but I just assumed that someone tried to open the door. The message "Theft attempted" showed up when I started it. I cleared it and thought little of it.

Next day I had the car in work and the alarm was going off int he parking lot. I have a very safe lot and no one was near it. I went and reset it. I pushed the plungers on the trunk a few times and closed the trunk. It went off again later.

That night , I parked in my garage at home. I do not lock the car while in my garage. Next day the message Theft Attempted showed up again.

I recently installed footwell lighting and used a vampire tap in the gray wire to the dome light. I am going to check that and make sure it's ok but I doubt that is it anyway. The lights are working just fine.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Happy_Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
You might have nicked the alarm wire during your install but I don't remember seeing an alarm wire when I was looking at the wiring diagram.

Maybe take it in to the dealer?
Old 04-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
I disconnected the footwell lights, all looked fine but I disconnected them anyway. Went for a ride last night and put it back in garage and locked doors. All was fine until I left for work this morning in my truck and my wife called to tell me alarm was going off in the car. Time to visit the dealer.
Happy_Dan is online now   Reply With Quote