Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
blahzay

Drives: Camaro SS
Someone Who Has Driven a SS and Challenger R/T

As some have seen, I totaled my 2010 SS a few weeks ago. I want another Camaro BUT Im very picky with the one I want this time around so I think I want to wait a year until I either find a low miles used one or can afford to buy another off the lot. In the meantime I recently purchased a 2008 BMW 750I (trying to get on my grown man grind) but this car just isnt me. I went from a 78 El Camino to a 96 Impala to Supercharged Monte Carlo to The Camaro. Ive always had sports cars, I thought I would switch it up but I feel so out of place in this car. I mean Im having a hard time just seeing how much gas I have in the car, dont know how to see how many miles I have, etc. LOL. I mean I know I can look in the manual but I never had to do that in my life with any car.

Anyway, Im looking to get rid of this BMW 750i and jump into a 2009 Challenger R/T. I know its no where near the power of my SS but is it at least decent? Anyone have any experience with a 2009 R/T? Like I said, I just want something to hold me over until I get my next SS. I couldve got one now but I wouldve been rushing and just settled. I dont want to do that just like I didnt settle with my first SS.
blahzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
orangejuice
H1 OFCR

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
You posted in a Camaro forum. Don't expect to hear anybody talking highly of a Challenger. I thought those things weigh a shit ton anyways?
ZL1 Hood/Fascia
AAC Afterburners/Sidemarkers
Havoc Black Chrome
5% Tint/20% Smoked Taillights

orangejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
I think the Challengers are ok but i wouldn't do it.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Yeah...but you're settling on a used '09 R/T. Why not find a used '10 Camaro?

I would be willing to bet you're going to be disappointed going from an SS to an R/T. You'll probably want to dump that pretty quick as well. You're taking a beating buying a car then turning around and selling it so quick.

Save the money, get a used SS. What is it that you just have to have in a Camaro that you can't find on a used one?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
I drove the crap out of a challenger R/T, a mustang 5.0 prior and a camaroSS prior to making my decision (amazing dealerships will let you take these home when they know you are serious).

My take was the following:

Challenger R/T was a fun car. I didn't really like the clutch feel and the car really did feel like a tank compared to the mustang and camaro.

I would have preferred the mustand 5.0 over the challenger any day. I liked the 5.0, but didn't like the fact that it came with pizza cutters for tires (compared to the camaro).

In the end, the camaro had it all, so I went with it.

I agree with the post above, if you can afford a used challenger, you should be able to find a used camaro SS for the same price, shouldn't you?
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
I drive them everyday. R/t's are ok, you'll still have fun and be able to burn the wheels. Everyone likes the larger front window view on them vs the camaro. Go for it, it's a nice car but don't try to compare it to an SS or SRT8.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
ka1

Drives: 2011 2SS
Drove from MI to FL in my brother's R/T. It was quite a fun ride. They are great cars IMO. If I hadn't got a Camaro, I would've got a Challenger and been quite happy.
ka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
drove an rt and srt8....the rt seemed underpowered and almost not fun...the car does look great on the outside. the rt felt like a boat...slow to accelerate sloppy handling etc. the srt8 is deff a fun car and power to spare. someone posted above about the windows being or feeling larger and its true. not the biggest fan of the interior...but lets be honest no pony car interior is all that great.

goodluck
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
Uileat

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
I would have to say if you are willing to go with a Challenger you might just consider comparing it to an LFX Camaro. The Challenger just doesn't have the power.
Uileat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Contrary to some of the other posts, I think the Challenger is an awesome car! HOWEVER...it would need to be an SRT8 392 to be a real "apples-to-apples" comparison. You can read about my personal experience here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251735

I'm a muscle car fanboy...NOT a Camaro fanboy.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
blahzay

Well to be honest, I LOVED my Camaro but this time around I want one with the wheels that were on the Hot Wheels version that lady posted on the forums, I want it to have the Navigation in the middle instead of the regular option, I want in to be Inferno orange with the Inferno orange interior (just like my last one) and Im debating on whether I want to go with a convertible or not. Then aside from that Im trying to hold off to see what the 6th gens will look like. LOL.

Again, the car I get now (whether I keep this BMW or go with a Challenger) is only a temp. thing. I dont plan on having either for more than 1-2 years.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
blahzay

I totally understand that Im better off comparing the SS to the SRT8 but Im not ready for that price tag of a SRT8 so I thats why i just went with the R/T. I know the power difference is not compatible but just wondering if it was some what decent.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
GEN-IV
Right Cam

Drives: 2010 LS3 / 79 Z28
Drive an R/T and an SRT8 if you can. There are really good deals on 2012 and older Shelbys too. They are all good!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
ka1

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahzay View Post
I totally understand that Im better off comparing the SS to the SRT8 but Im not ready for that price tag of a SRT8 so I thats why i just went with the R/T. I know the power difference is not compatible but just wondering if it was some what decent.
It is more than decent. I know it's not popular here but like I said the R/T is a great car.
ka1 is offline   Reply With Quote