Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #183
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenti View Post
It's not the new engine that I'm excited about, it's the new ECU. The preliminary report on the front page a couple of days ago said they were dumping the Bosch ECU in favor of another brand. If it's any easier to tune, we might see a significant up-tick in the V6 Camaro FI Aftermarket.
True I guess that is possible. An easier to tune ECU could be a plus....back to that in a sec!

At this point I'm not sure if I'm all that excited about the new engine either....but we'll see. Don't get me wrong..its cool, and more power would be sweet, but if its based on the current LF1 (which doesn't make much TQ....223 to be exact) hopefully they will have ways to significantly increase the TQ output. Can increasing it to 3.6 really get it another 70 or 80 TQ?.... which in my opinion is needed to make noticeable difference over the current LLT. Ok enough with that lol.

But about the tune. I don't think the tune is the issue. I believe the only real problem with the current tune is that the stock one is very good and doesn't leave much performance left on the table, and if GM does the same with the next ECU tune, I don't see it being much better. If that happens, well be in the same boat, with tuners not doing a tune because its not "worth it" to them.

As far as allowing more aftermarket boost options, I think its the DI causing all the main fuss....not the tune.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #184
BIGSWOLE

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS/RS (L99)
If your worried about HP do yourself a favor and get the SS now.Or you can learn the hard way,like I did.Six months after buying my LT I was shopping around for a SS,lost alot of money on the trade in.If deep down you want the most HP get the SS.
BIGSWOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:41 AM   #185
CamaroFreako
KMK

Drives: Slow V6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGSWOLE View Post
If your worried about HP do yourself a favor and get the SS now.Or you can learn the hard way,like I did.Six months after buying my LT I was shopping around for a SS,lost alot of money on the trade in.If deep down you want the most HP get the SS.
CamaroFreako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #186
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGSWOLE View Post

So why not an LS3? Some of us are more then happy with what we have, or what we get with the mods we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFreako View Post
Why don't you just get another damn car? Seriously, your whining is getting old.

[rant]
If all you can post is "you should have got a v8", do us a favor and not post. We chose a v6 for whatever reason, we are entitled to make it as powerful as we want, and you sure as hell don't have to have a v8 to be fast, quick or have fun.[/rant]
Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #187
FirstCamaro19

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Today was the first time i actually tried to do a good burnout in my v6 and I was very shocked on how well it did. At first I just thought its ganna go 5ft and the rpms were just ganna just bog down to nothing. Until I looked in my mirror and saw nothing but smoke and (2) 50ft black marks down in front of my buddy house. Also amazed that I didnt have no 1 wheel peel action going on
Performance: Huron Speed Single Turbo Kit- Turbonetics T76- Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback - Ported Throttle Body - Dyno Tune - DSS One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - BMR 1.4" Lowering Springs -TSP 235/239 Lumpy Stick- Aeromotive A1000 Return Fuel System

Cosmetics: Heritage Grill - LED Dome/License Plate/and Fog Lights -8000K HID Headlight - BMR 4 Point Strut Tower Brace - Forgestar Wheels

Audio: Scosche Dash Kit - Kenwood DNX6990HD w/Nav - Prefabbed Ported Box with 1 12" Alpine Type R - Alpine PDX M12 Amp
FirstCamaro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #188
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Drives: your woman wild...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCamaro19 View Post
Today was the first time i actually tried to do a good burnout in my v6 and I was very shocked on how well it did. At first I just thought its ganna go 5ft and the rpms were just ganna just bog down to nothing. Until I looked in my mirror and saw nothing but smoke and (2) 50ft black marks down in front of my buddy house. Also amazed that I didnt have no 1 wheel peel action going on
Yep, did this once to try it out and wow. Within a sec there was smoke rising from both sides. Some lady that was behind me looked at me and started shaking her head like" f-ing imature prick" lol.
Sneeks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #189
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Drives: 400HP 2LT/RS
Ok I had to comment haha!

So in about um.. seven months from now, v6 owners will really have nothing to worry about. Reason being, when the ZL1 becomes widely available, the SS gets put in 2nd place so it looses the fastest stock production Camaro title.

You'll hear alot less gripes and moans. We just need to make sure the ZL1 sells well so that they are not rare machines.

On the V6 note, you can get up to 380hp at the engine without turboing by installing LT headers (BBK), a Vararam CAI, Highflow cats, a high flow Axleback and with the LT headers, a tune and 91/octane tune. Using 91/93octane is an easily way to add a few more hp to the current v6 Camaro which requires only 87octane to reach 312hp. All these mods purchased and installed will cost you around $2000 which is alot cheaper than stepping up to an SS which will still be faster but not that much as long as your not doing anything to it. When I went to order my 2LT, the 2SS was about $7500-8000(CAD) more not to mention the $90 a month more insurrance payments.

The cheapest mod to maximize a v6 is the new STILL not released but soon to be released Vararam CAI which is claiming to boost 30hp gains on the manuals and 27hp gains on the automatics. Super impressive if you ask me. I feel like I should be marketing there product lol. I'm keeping my eye close on this mod.

As what everyone else says, if you can afford it, just get an SS. I absolutely love speed as well but I have another niche, I need fuel economy as I do lots of highway driving so I choose the 6er and modded it to keep with the higher fuel economy.

Shaun

CRAZY BEE - IOM 2LT/RS (more)
Cosmetic Mods - 24 | Performance Mods - 14
ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
DJ ATOMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #190
BlessedChef10
BLESSEDCHEF10

Drives: 2010 2lt camaro rs
I would trade up in a heartbeat. Anyone interested?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #191
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ ATOMIX View Post

So in about um.. seven months from now, v6 owners will really have nothing to worry about. Reason being, when the ZL1 becomes widely available, the SS gets put in 2nd place so it looses the fastest stock production Camaro title.

You'll hear alot less gripes and moans. We just need to make sure the ZL1 sells well so that they are not rare machines.

On the V6 note, you can get up to 380hp at the engine without turboing by installing LT headers (BBK), a Vararam CAI, Highflow cats, a high flow Axleback and with the LT headers, a tune and 91/octane tune. Using 91/93octane is an easily way to add a few more hp to the current v6 Camaro which requires only 87octane to reach 312hp. All these mods purchased and installed will cost you around $2000 which is alot cheaper than stepping up to an SS which will still be faster but not that much as long as your not doing anything to it. When I went to order my 2LT, the 2SS was about $7500-8000(CAD) more not to mention the $90 a month more insurrance payments.

The cheapest mod to maximize a v6 is the new STILL not released but soon to be released Vararam CAI which is claiming to boost 30hp gains on the manuals and 27hp gains on the automatics. Super impressive if you ask me. I feel like I should be marketing there product lol. I'm keeping my eye close on this mod.

As what everyone else says, if you can afford it, just get an SS. I absolutely love speed as well but I have another niche, I need fuel economy as I do lots of highway driving so I choose the 6er and modded it to keep with the higher fuel economy.

Shaun
Just in case you are being serious... simple bolts-on's will NOT get you to 380 HP which would need to be about 305 RWHP for an automatic and 325 RWHP for manual.
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #192
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:

Shaun
Sorry bud, appreciate your enthusiasm but thats not quite right.

With all of the bolt ons listed above you'd be in the 345 to 360 range and then depending on your type of transmission that makes a difference in the output as well.

Vararam is claiming 15 to 20 on the automatic and in the Vararam thread has shown about 27 HP gain on the manual that was used for testing there.

So those are still great numbers though, and your not wayyyy off, just a bit too high.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #193
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:

Shaun

You cannot simply add all the bolt-ons together.

Vararam = 30
LT and highflow cats = 25
axle back = 5
tune = 5

all together does = 377

However once you dyno all these together you might be lucky to see 280 - 285 HP at the wheels. Which would be 350 HP at the engine using an automatic.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #194
FC_GIBB

Drives: 2012 Impala LTZ
Quote:

Shaun

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "'The United States of America", for an amount "up to, and including my life". That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it.
FC_GIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #195
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Sorry bud, appreciate your enthusiasm but thats not quite right.

With all of the bolt ons listed above you'd be in the 345 to 360 range and then depending on your type of transmission that makes a difference in the output as well.

Vararam is claiming 15 to 20 on the automatic and in the Vararam thread has shown about 27 HP gain on the manual that was used for testing there.

So those are still great numbers though, and your not wayyyy off, just a bit too high.
Haven't been following the Vararam stuff extremely close... There really hasn't been a truly independent test of it has there? With all the hype and the big list of folk wanting to buy it before it's even released.... well, it' just gives me a bad case of Deja Vu! (and no, i'm not talking about the gentleman's club with the exotic dancers... LOL)
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #196
IMJ

Drives: 2012 SS LS3 | Silver Frost Metallic
LOOOoottts of bad or exaggerated posting in this thread ranging from power gains, to actual gas mileage numbers, to the analysis of the V6 to V8 performance. Seriously, a lot of the posters in this thread have attitudes I've typically associated with "Mustang guys" instead of a Camaro group in my time on the road (not extending this generalization to the people making truly reasonable comments here by any means...).

The answer to the thread's question is simple - the V6 Camaro makes enough power and torque to move the heavy car with muscle leftover for hard acceleration. That's the answer for real drivers. For drivers looking for the "power thrill" I'd say that the V6 is a monster engine as is, but it'd be nice if Chevy could eek 345 stock horsepower and a matching torque curve to boot (gained from engine architecture rather than airboxes or exhausts). Then the V6 would undeniably be the all around engine to beat, proportionate to other V6's and most V8's.

The SS is probably a ton fun, but the V6 is still a shining example of motor tech and generally a better buy in every way.

Also, for any of the younger guys or kids considering the car - disregard any dipshit who tells you that any given upgrade is "only another $9 or 10k". That's the worst car-guy, blowhard, misleading advice you could get. Another 10k on top of any bill changes the cost paradigm completely. People who flippantly tell you "just to drop the extra 10k" most likely have $550.00+ payments over 7 years and credit scores way below what they should be. Even a basement dweller kid just out of high school working some crumm-o job, living at home with money to burn and no friends to spend it on shouldn't buy the SS for a myriad of reasons.

Last edited by IMJ; 05-05-2011 at 11:21 AM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote