Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 12-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #29
The_cartoonist_88
Turbine Cowboy

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacfanatic66 View Post
What clear did you use? Is it water based also?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Looks fantastic man! Great job.

I've been looking for a great automotive airbrush and compressor with regulator. What kind do you have and do you have a reputable place to purchase it? Also, what paint and clear did you use?
I use PPG on all of my paint products, Ill be the last person to use water based and ill do it kicking and screaming all the way

TCAT i use Iwata for all my spraying equipment, well all but one. I also have a Paasche Talon which i would recomend for starting out with, Its cheaper and still works great. But if you just want to start with the top i would go with an Iwata Eclipse. Nothing quite like it, a lil' pricey but an amazing brush. Iwata's equipment atomizes the paint like none other and the trigger action is unbelievably smooth a good place to purchase what your looking for is http://www.tcpglobal.com/ they usually have the lowest pricing on stuff.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #30
The_cartoonist_88
Turbine Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
Very nice work, what is going on with that Corvette
thx the vette is a whole other story 1.5' wider than a ZR1, paint everywhere , huge wheels, etc. Here are some diff links to what is being done to it

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...51extreme.html

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169207
Old 12-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #31
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_cartoonist_88 View Post
I use PPG on all of my paint products, Ill be the last person to use water based and ill do it kicking and screaming all the way

TCAT i use Iwata for all my spraying equipment, well all but one. I also have a Paasche Talon which i would recomend for starting out with, Its cheaper and still works great. But if you just want to start with the top i would go with an Iwata Eclipse. Nothing quite like it, a lil' pricey but an amazing brush. Iwata's equipment atomizes the paint like none other and the trigger action is unbelievably smooth a good place to purchase what your looking for is http://www.tcpglobal.com/ they usually have the lowest pricing on stuff.
Thanks! That's funny that you said Iwata eclipse and TCP, because I was looking at that exact airbrush and website. However, it looks to be for small applications. I was thinking I would need to get a gravity Spray Gun with a liter of paint holding ability. With the Iwata, wouldn't I be refilling it all the time to get bigger jobs done such as an egine cover, etc.??? Also, what size air compressor do you recommend?

Thanks again!
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #32
The_cartoonist_88
Turbine Cowboy

Quote:
Thanks! That's funny that you said Iwata eclipse and TCP, because I was looking at that exact airbrush and website. However, it looks to be for small applications. I was thinking I would need to get a gravity Spray Gun with a liter of paint holding ability. With the Iwata, wouldn't I be refilling it all the time to get bigger jobs done such as an egine cover, etc.??? Also, what size air compressor do you recommend?

Thanks again!
yeah for spraying bigger stuff like that you would want a full sized gun, The Iwata LVB and the LVX are great guns, The LVB which im using in the pics is great for doing pearls and mets. the design of the Nozzle allows it to really bust the particles up and spray smooth. I will also Spray solids as well. The LVX will not spray pearls or mets. for crap itll stripe and mottle your paint bad, but for solids its the best at it. but Primer and Clear is a whole other ball park, the LPH 440 is an excellent primer gun. For clear you can use LPH 400 or the LS400 super nova I wish i got some pics of me clearing it but, I use the LS400 and nothing compares to it but really pricey. I have use the LPH 400 most of my career and it is a really good gun as well but not like the super nova so either one is an awesome choice. But all this is just IMO, i have used a lot of different brands and i have come find that for the kind of work i do Iwata all the way, but there is also Sata (Saw-Ta) its a good brand as well but doesnt atomize for nothing but it move a ton of material so its mostly used in production work. On the size of compressor i use an 80gal tank and could use a bigger one but i think it depends on how much you will paint and what else you will use it for, we use ours for a ton of other things.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #33
The_cartoonist_88
Turbine Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSpeedFreak View Post
Great pics of the painting process. Good job.
haha thx, the credit for that is owed to my father inlaw
Old 12-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #34
LarryCook

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
Nice !!!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #35
Hennesseyrgv
CAMARO5LINE FOUNDER

Drives: Hennessey HPE650
Doing it your self it's more enjoying, and you can take pride in your work.
Hennesseyrgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #36
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
Looks great, cant wait to see in person
cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #37
The_cartoonist_88
Turbine Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercoaster View Post
Looks great, cant wait to see in person
Not gonna lie it looks pretty good, ill put better pics of it installed once the sun decides to shine around here again
Old 12-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #38
TCAT

Quote:
yeah for spraying bigger stuff like that you would want a full sized gun, The Iwata LVB and the LVX are great guns, The LVB which im using in the pics is great for doing pearls and mets. the design of the Nozzle allows it to really bust the particles up and spray smooth. I will also Spray solids as well. The LVX will not spray pearls or mets. for crap itll stripe and mottle your paint bad, but for solids its the best at it. but Primer and Clear is a whole other ball park, the LPH 440 is an excellent primer gun. For clear you can use LPH 400 or the LS400 super nova I wish i got some pics of me clearing it but, I use the LS400 and nothing compares to it but really pricey. I have use the LPH 400 most of my career and it is a really good gun as well but not like the super nova so either one is an awesome choice. But all this is just IMO, i have used a lot of different brands and i have come find that for the kind of work i do Iwata all the way, but there is also Sata (Saw-Ta) its a good brand as well but doesnt atomize for nothing but it move a ton of material so its mostly used in production work. On the size of compressor i use an 80gal tank and could use a bigger one but i think it depends on how much you will paint and what else you will use it for, we use ours for a ton of other things.
Excellent! Thank you. I was thinking about getting a 60 gallon compressor tank for painting or other projects. Do you recommend a certain airbrush that will be able to handle ALL types of paint, such as primer, basecoat, and clearcoat??
Old 12-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #39
The_cartoonist_88
Turbine Cowboy

Quote:
Excellent! Thank you. I was thinking about getting a 60 gallon compressor tank for painting or other projects. Do you recommend a certain airbrush that will be able to handle ALL types of paint, such as primer, basecoat, and clearcoat??
I dont ever put primer through any of my brush's not that i dont recommend it i just choose not to, but base and clear the iwata handle just fine. when i need primer i will either use my full size gun or use dupli color aerosol primer. For some reason any gun you use for primer its hard to keep it looking new so i just opt to use my primer gun or aerosol
Old 12-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #40
TCAT

Quote:
I dont ever put primer through any of my brush's not that i dont recommend it i just choose not to, but base and clear the iwata handle just fine. when i need primer i will either use my full size gun or use dupli color aerosol primer. For some reason any gun you use for primer its hard to keep it looking new so i just opt to use my primer gun or aerosol
Awe gotcha. Thanks! This info. is fantastic man. I could talk about this stuff all day. I really want to start getting into painting more often as a hobby, but learn to do it right and perfect. If you ever have time, can you PM me a brief (so I don't take up to much of your time especially around the hilidays, lol) description of how your process of painting goes starting from beggining sanding-priming, to clearcoating, as well as when you sand/wet sand, etc at different parts of the painting process to get a clear, shiny finish. I've read about this process a lot lately, but a lot of people have different views which is understandable. It looks like you've been in the painting business for some time now, so I'd love to hear your opinin on the matter. If not, no worries at all. This has already been informative for me. This Iwata airbrush seems badass!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #41
The_cartoonist_88
Turbine Cowboy

Quote:
Awe gotcha. Thanks! This info. is fantastic man. I could talk about this stuff all day. I really want to start getting into painting more often as a hobby, but learn to do it right and perfect. If you ever have time, can you PM me a brief (so I don't take up to much of your time especially around the hilidays, lol) description of how your process of painting goes starting from beggining sanding-priming, to clearcoating, as well as when you sand/wet sand, etc at different parts of the painting process to get a clear, shiny finish. I've read about this process a lot lately, but a lot of people have different views which is understandable. It looks like you've been in the painting business for some time now, so I'd love to hear your opinin on the matter. If not, no worries at all. This has already been informative for me. This Iwata airbrush seems badass!
Not a problem i enjoy it when someone else wants to learn to do it right, there are way to many people out there (dealerships, and some bodyshops) who mostly do it just to earn a buck, quite literally. If cutting a corner will save them a $, they have no trouble doing it. Dealerships will hire people who go from lot to lot doing "repair" work and then people like my Gparents fall victim to these shoty repairs when they go to buy a car w/o me. Anyways i can rant forever and a day lol ill set you up with some info on the painting process. I dont know when i can but ill try to get it to you this week
Old 12-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #42
TCAT

Quote:
Not a problem i enjoy it when someone else wants to learn to do it right, there are way to many people out there (dealerships, and some bodyshops) who mostly do it just to earn a buck, quite literally. If cutting a corner will save them a $, they have no trouble doing it. Dealerships will hire people who go from lot to lot doing "repair" work and then people like my Gparents fall victim to these shoty repairs when they go to buy a car w/o me. Anyways i can rant forever and a day lol ill set you up with some info on the painting process. I dont know when i can but ill try to get it to you this week
I definitely understand what you're saying. There are an incredible amount of crappy painters out there to "claim" that they are professional, and this goes with other business as well. It's nice to see people that enjoy what they do and do the job well.

Thanks for sending me some info on the painting process. I'm looking forward to it. This will definitely help me with my future projects.