Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
ubrimah
Oreo

Drives: Summit White LT/RS A6
Painted fog lights

So I really don't like the reflective backing in the fog lights. Even though I have the pw13's in I'm still not a huge fan of the backing. Plus if you put in the halos they would stand out more without the reflective surface.

So has anyone painted the backing? And how would you go about doing it?

Pics if you've done it!

ubrimah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
If you paint the reflective backing then the DRLs becomes pretty much useless as the p13w bulb uses the reflective surface to project the light.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
blackTT600

Drives: 2011 2LT M6 SC
Not true, you can paint them, then put a high shine clear coat. has to handle the heat though.
blackTT600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
ubrimah
Oreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackTT600 View Post
Not true, you can paint them, then put a high shine clear coat. has to handle the heat though.
So im guessing no one has done it yet?

Old 03-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
stieger is correct. Even with a high gloss clear coat, it will not reflect like the chrome reflective material will.

You can always go with a projector type lamp with the halo's. That looks sharp. Can't find any pic's though sorry.

With a projector lamp you don't need a reflective backing as the lamp projects the light outward. Hence the name.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
ubrimah
Oreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
stieger is correct. Even with a high gloss clear coat, it will not reflect like the chrome reflective material will.

You can always go with a projector type lamp with the halo's. That looks sharp. Can't find any pic's though sorry.

With a projector lamp you don't need a reflective backing as the lamp projects the light outward. Hence the name.
What would the projectors look like in the housing? It seems like it'll be more pricey that I originally thought.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrimah View Post
What would the projectors look like in the housing? It seems like it'll be more pricey that I originally thought.
It's more expensive for sure, projectors are not cheap but they look great. Check out the video at the bottom of the page.
http://www.automotivelightstore.com/CamaroFogKit.aspx
Old 03-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
ubrimah
Oreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
It's more expensive for sure, projectors are not cheap but they look great. Check out the video at the bottom of the page.
http://www.automotivelightstore.com/CamaroFogKit.aspx
I wish I would've know about these before getting the pw13 haha. It's still better than stock though so Ill just leave them alone and focus on trying to get the Colorshift halos

Old 03-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrimah View Post
I wish I would've know about these before getting the pw13 haha. It's still better than stock though so Ill just leave them alone and focus on trying to get the Colorshift halos
Yeah that upgrade with the halos is over $600. As a heads up the lamp replacements, the clear lens with the reflective backing runs $75 a pop. So if you do paint them and decide to go back it will run you $150.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
RichieSSZ28
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS & 14' Sierra Z71
Try the lens spray tint. It allows reflection but you won't see it so easy and it withstands the heat. I thought about trying it but hate to break the seal. By some cheap lights from Walmart and see.
SLP 1-3/4" LT Headers, 3" High flow cats,MGW short throw shifter with Orange SS, Magnaflow 2.5" Street series aggressive full system exhaust with 4" Tips, MGW Short throw shifter, K&N CAI, SLP 160 thermostat, Diablo Sport Tune by SLP, Sinister Street scene Package, Custom Two Tone paint scheme(Pearl black and Inferno Orange) by Owens Customizing, Two tone Engine cover, 22" Gianelle Cuba 10 matte black with ball cut details, Vredestein SUV assanta tires 265/35 and 315/30.
RichieSSZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieSSZ28 View Post
Try the lens spray tint. It allows reflection but you won't see it so easy and it withstands the heat. I thought about trying it but hate to break the seal. By some cheap lights from Walmart and see.
Or some film tint. Or the static cling tint. Only problem is that it discolors the light projecting out too defeats the point of getting the upgraded P13W's
Old 03-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
ttexxan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Speaking of fogs...One quick question so not starting another thread. I just saw a White camaro on way home who's fogs had been modded. His fogs were very bright and bluish color. What bulb is that?
Old 03-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttexxan View Post
Speaking of fogs...One quick question so not starting another thread. I just saw a White camaro on way home who's fogs had been modded. His fogs were very bright and bluish color. What bulb is that?
p13w bulb from AAC's. But just to clarify, if you have the RS package you do not have fog lights. You have DRLs
Old 03-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
CrzyGamr2
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
The P13W's. I have em and they are very bright and have a blue tint to them.

Tags
halo, painted fog lights, pw13, stock halos