Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #71
RADAR

Drives: 2012 2SSRS/M6 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrorcr View Post
When I was alot younger and more trusting I let a neighbor test drive a T-Bird I had put up for sale, long story short....police said since I let him take it I had to wait 24hrs to put in a 911 call. Car came back 6hrs later smoking and rattling, he said it can't hold up to a little run down I-5 so he didn't want it.....I DON'T trust anyone like I did and I wouldn't have a problem asking for the same INFO as papabearcamaro.
YIKES!!
RADAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #72
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrorcr View Post
When I was alot younger and more trusting I let a neighbor test drive a T-Bird I had put up for sale, long story short....police said since I let him take it I had to wait 24hrs to put in a 911 call. Car came back 6hrs later smoking and rattling, he said it can't hold up to a little run down I-5 so he didn't want it.....I DON'T trust anyone like I did and I wouldn't have a problem asking for the same INFO as papabearcamaro.
6 hours is a bit much for a test drive. When I first test drove my Camaro the my sales person said that I could only go for 6 miles and no more. They actually had a pre determined route that you had to take on a Camaro test drive. Also they required proof that you were not just joy riding a Camaro, but since I had already purchased several cars from then they did not require this of me.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #73
montyhp

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Red Jewel w/Beige
If I were the prospective buyer, I would have pulled up my bank account page on my android phone and showed him my preapproval.

That said, I bought my Camaro used from a dealer, he just handed me the key and let me drive. (Had wife with me so there was no room for him in the car).
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #74
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Unreasonable. If someone told me that, I'd buy somewhere else.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #75
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS JFB
I'm sure "strangers" are covered in your car in Tex. Shortly after I purchased mine, I asked my SF agent because I knew friends would be asking to drive it.

Not trying to be funny, but this is a car, not your wife. If the prospective buyer seems legit, why not let him drive it?

However, no disrespect to younger people, but I doubt I'd let anyone under 40 test drive mine. Even then, if he pulls up in a 82 Chrysler K-car and "looks" broke, his financial viability (or lack thereof) pretty much speaks for itself.

If it were ME buying the car, I'd want to drive it first. Only then can you get a feel for front end problems, clutch/transmission issues, brake problems, etc.

So, you really have to take each situation separately. I don't completely agree or disagree with the OP, but I think something about the impression the "buyer" made on him made the OP react the way he did and the OP probably made the right decision.
SSBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #76
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabearcamaro View Post
I asked my dealer what he would give me on trade in for a 2013 automatic and after I got his number I told him there is no way I would trade it in for that.
Told him if he knew of anyone looking for something like I have to give them my phone number. My dealer gave this guy my phone number.So that is how it all came about.
Apparently you've set yourself up to have "anyone" contact you inorder they make arrangements to consider a purchase or making an offer. This suggests you're serious and by being serious, you've opened the possibilities.......... that "anyone" might ask to look over, in, and then test drive the car. Having the opportunity to view and then test drive are fairly common assumptions buyers make when purchasing a car.

Setting terms and conditions..........Your asking them to provide financial documentation before you show the car should have also been explained to your dealer. That is unless you felt you would be better quailifed to weed out window shoppers, joy riders, car jackers and credit risks. My guess is there is nothing in it for the dealer and thus they'll not be spending unordinary amounts of time and effort..........helping.

For arguements sake........the potental buyer comes prepared with a bank letter of credit or loan preapproval and asks you to simply provide the title, or documentation proving you were the registered legal owner, or any other form of verifiable proof of your having a clear title free from government tax liens, ie. Do you have a current Insurance survey or CarFax on hand. Would you be prepared to provide these on the spot if one were requested by a potental buyer? My guess is. No............your not.

In today's world of rampant indentity theft I personally wouldn't give a private individual selling a car my highly confidental banking information.........period.

Obviously you've brought this on yourself. If I were the potentional buyer in the scenario as you've described it..........I would have quitely disagreed with your methods and tactic's and simply walked away. Trust is one thing, being respectful or disrepectful is another................. and its takes a mutual understanding and consideration from both parties. Insults and preconditioned notions...............guarantees negative results. The sale is doomed before the possibilty of opportunity for either seller or buyer materializes.

I would also suggest as an alternative asking the dealership if they have arrangements or the names of associate businesses who specialize as professionals in selling cars on a consignment bases............alleviating the stress, hassles, forementioned problems and ultimately .............failure.

Last edited by Caspers2SSRS; 04-11-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #77
VenomInside
Just Grazing

Drives: 2003 EB Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspers2SSRS View Post
Apparently you've set yourself up to have "anyone" contact you inorder they make arrangements to consider a purchase or making an offer. This suggests you're serious and by being serious, you've opened the possibilities.......... that "anyone" might ask to look over, in, and then test drive the car. Having the opportunity to view and then test drive are fairly common assumptions buyers make when purchasing a car.

Setting terms and conditions..........Your asking them to provide financial documentation before you show the car should have also been explained to your dealer. That is unless you felt you would be better quailifed to weed out window shoppers, joy riders, car jackers and credit risks. My guess is there is nothing in it for the dealer and thus they'll not be spending unordinary amounts of time and effort..........helping.

For arguements sake........the potentional buyer comes prepared with a bank letter of credit or loan preapproval and asked you to simply provide the title, or documentation proving you were the registered legal owner, or any other form of verifiable proof of your having a clear titlek free from government tax liens, ie. Do you have a current Insurance survey or CarFax on hand. Would you be prepared to provide these on the spot if one were requested by a potentional buyer? My guess is. No............your not.

In today's world of rampant indentity theft I personally wouldn't give a private individual selling a car my highly confidental banking information.........period.

Obviously you've brought this on yourself. If I were the potentional buyer in the scenario as you've described it..........I would have quitely disagreed with your methods and tactic's and simply walked away. Trust is one thing, being respectful or disrepectful is another................. and its takes a mutual understanding and consideration from both parties. Insults and preconditioned notions...............guarantees negative results. The sale is doomed before the possibilty of opportunity for either seller or buyer materializes.

I would also suggest as an alternative asking the dealership if they have arrangements or the names of associate businesses who specialize as professionals in selling cars on a consignment bases............alleviating the stress, hassles, forementioned problems and ultimately .............failure.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert 6MT (Lemon-Sold)
2003 Sonic Blue Cobra 458rwhp/458rwtq (Sold)
1996 Mystic Cobra 455rwhp/400rwtq (sold)
1999 BGC T/A 377rwhp/360rwtq (sold)
2004 Silver Cobra 600rwhp/540rwtq (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
2012 zl1... the new 99 cobra?
VenomInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #78
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Quote:

For arguements sake........the potental buyer comes prepared with a bank letter of credit or loan preapproval and asks you to simply provide the title, or documentation proving you were the registered legal owner, or any other form of verifiable proof of your having a clear title free from government tax liens, ie. Do you have a current Insurance survey or CarFax on hand. Would you be prepared to provide these on the spot if one were requested by a potental buyer? My guess is. No............your not.

Nicely done.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #79
papabearcamaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Z71
Quote:

Some people just amaze me. I in NO way expect the guy to show me his last three years of tax returns,or give me his SS#,or show me his W2.
All it is is a letter typed and notorized by his credit union stating that he is worthy of the funds for the agreed upon price of the car. Letter says NOTHING of how much money he has in the bank or any type of personal info. Just says Mr Joe Blow is a member of ours and has the funds available to purchase the vehicle.
I have secured the same type of letter from my CU when I have bought cars. It shows the seller that I am indeed a serious buyer,can afford what I am looking at,and am not there as a tire kicker and wasting his time.
I have a $xx,xxx vehicle I am selling and this guy might not even have two nickles to rub together.
Think you guys are flaming me pretty good because you are reading more in to it than there actually is.
SOLD(Traded for 2012 Silverado Z71 4x4 and 2012 Sonic Hatch.)...2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/LS3,yellow with House of Kolor Tangerine Pearl rally stripes,manual trans.Hurst short throw shifter,4 pack rally gauges,Roto-Fab air intake,Kooks long tube headers with high-flow cats,Borla S-Type catback exhaust,Comp Cam,PRC ported heads,Maggie with 3.6 pulley and 1:1 cog drive,secondary fuel system with 65lb injectors,ADM digital A/F and Boost gauge,Pfadt trailing arms and subframe bushings.614.25rwhp/566.82rwtq on 8# of boost.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 EX.Cab 4X4 Z71.
papabearcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #80
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
You've got home field advantage. If the buyer doesn't like your terms, politely welcome him to kick rocks.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #81
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
You've got home field advantage. If the buyer doesn't like your terms, politely welcome him to kick rocks.

How does he have home field Advantage? He the one trying to sell (1) Camaro, there are 1000s out there for the taking.

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #82
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
Quote:

+1

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #83
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
A letter of credit from your bank is one of the first things you give a real estate agent when they begin looking for homes for you. The reason is because the SELLERS agent will ask for it immediately.

It really has no identifying info other than your name and that you are approved to XXXX dollars.

This is super common in real estate and very high end vehicle sales. No so much for a Camaro but, do what feel right for you. Understand though that many people won't want to just on principle alone.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #84

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabearcamaro View Post
Some people just amaze me. I in NO way expect the guy to show me his last three years of tax returns,or give me his SS#,or show me his W2.
All it is is a letter typed and notorized by his credit union stating that he is worthy of the funds for the agreed upon price of the car. Letter says NOTHING of how much money he has in the bank or any type of personal info. Just says Mr Joe Blow is a member of ours and has the funds available to purchase the vehicle.
I have secured the same type of letter from my CU when I have bought cars. It shows the seller that I am indeed a serious buyer,can afford what I am looking at,and am not there as a tire kicker and wasting his time.
I have a $xx,xxx vehicle I am selling and this guy might not even have two nickles to rub together.
Think you guys are flaming me pretty good because you are reading more in to it than there actually is.
Lol...What did you expect!...Everyone here is an expert, didn't you know that??lol And besides, who do you think you are anyway for selling your car first without asking everybody if its ok??..lol j/k...good luck!
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote