Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
Jmar

Drives: 2012 LS3 CRM, V8 Healey, Mini
Close Call Today

Fortunately I was home today to react to two water pipes that burst over my Camaro. I was in the bedroom when the pipes to the tub in the master bath thawed and began to release water in the attic space directly over my car.

I ran to the basement and turned off the water. I ran to te garage to discover water running from the ceiling and out of the access panel to the frozen pipes that I just sealed and insulated due to the cold temperatures. The ceiling to the garage is insulated but the pipes and floor under the bathroom aren't so there must have been an air leak that froze the pipes overnight. I also insulated/sealed my steel garage doors over the last few days when the forecast threatened subzero temps.

The car cover that my loving wife bought me for Christmas was on the car but it's not waterproof since I keep it indoors. So, I yanked it off the Camaro, backed it outside, cut a 3 foot hole in the ceiling, took out the wet insulation and fixed the pipes. I also insulated the attic space with a ton more insulation toward the exterior wall so this should not happen again.

I'm glad that I was home (school was cancelled to due wind chill of -35) today otherwise things could have become really ugly.

When I brought the Camaro back in the garage the temperature read -3 and the stick felt liek it was in cement.
Jmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
1olddude

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Silver Ice Metallic.
Glad things worked out for you and wish you folks some warmer days ahead. My I laws live in Chi Town so they are putting up with the same terrible cold. It isn't fun for anyone, not even the Polar Bears. Good luck and stay warm!
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
When we get seriously chilled here--- like the days- on- end- 16 degrees we had a few weeks ago--- one concern is frozen pipes: Not so much a problem when they are frozen (other than no water!), but when things begin to thaw, those broken/ burst pipes start geysering to release all Hell. I wonder how many more times Jmar's experience will repeat itself as the eastern half of the country emerges from the deep freeze?!? (BTW, Jmar... well done, nicely handled! Great to see somebody who knows how to take care of business, and gets it done!)
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #4
Jmar

Drives: 2012 LS3 CRM, V8 Healey, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
When we get seriously chilled here--- like the days- on- end- 16 degrees we had a few weeks ago--- one concern is frozen pipes: Not so much a problem when they are frozen (other than no water!), but when things begin to thaw, those broken/ burst pipes start geysering to release all Hell. I wonder how many more times Jmar's experience will repeat itself as the eastern half of the country emerges from the deep freeze?!? (BTW, Jmar... well done, nicely handled! Great to see somebody who knows how to take care of business, and gets it done!)
Thanks for the props SD! My wife wanted to get me a cape - thanks go to my father for showing me how fix many household/automotive things during the curious years. The plumbing expert at the hardware store told me that people were were fixing pipes all day. I can only guess what this stuff costs when a contractor has to do the work. My cost was $60, most of which was for new insulation.
Jmar is offline   Reply With Quote