Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Would you go?

So on Friday my manager asked me if I'd be willing to relocate to Nigeria for anywhere from 6 months to 2 years.

Needless to say, I'm thinking very hard about this.

Just thought I'd ask anyone here if they'd go.
G-Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
So on Friday my manager asked me if I'd be willing to relocate to Nigeria for anywhere from 6 months to 2 years.

Needless to say, I'm thinking very hard about this.

Just thought I'd ask anyone here if they'd go.
would have to be a very high 6 digit number and real close to 7 digits paid up front........
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
Are they offering Brass or Gold?
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
JETG

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Depends on pay, and what you get paid now. I would obviously think your in the oil field, but that is a broad field to be in, so either engineering/design work I would suspect. I would think the pay would have to be in the 100-175hr plus living expenses ect. That would put you in the 200-250K range. If you not married and relatively young do it, cant beat real world experience and traveling. I would also put in there that they pay for you to come home for a week vacation every 2-3 months on them. But without more info on exacts of what you do it is hard to say. Know someone that just got sent there for a month and was promised not to have to come back home and is making 1K a day, so 30K for the month. Just a call you will have to make, and how good of a deal is it.

J
JETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I would not go, but it's your decision.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETG View Post
Depends on pay, and what you get paid now. I would obviously think your in the oil field, but that is a broad field to be in, so either engineering/design work I would suspect. I would think the pay would have to be in the 100-175hr plus living expenses ect. That would put you in the 200-250K range. If you not married and relatively young do it, cant beat real world experience and traveling. I would also put in there that they pay for you to come home for a week vacation every 2-3 months on them. But without more info on exacts of what you do it is hard to say. Know someone that just got sent there for a month and was promised not to have to come back home and is making 1K a day, so 30K for the month. Just a call you will have to make, and how good of a deal is it.

J
Yes, you are correct, I am a chemical engineer for one of the large integrated oil companies. I've worked in the field (i.e. manufacturing/refining sites) for 2 years and now do design work in the upstream. Not married and a spritely 27 years old.

There were no details given regarding the level of pay etc. I shot off an email to my manager asking for all of those details. He has yet to respond. I just do not know how I feel about Nigeria. I do know that the areas I want to learn/work in are NOT in Nigeria...haha

But once I get those details, I will ask about trips home on their dime, as you brought up.

-G
Old 05-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
would have to be a very high 6 digit number and real close to 7 digits paid up front........
Old 05-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
are you single? if so, i see no reason why you shouldn't go. if you had a family, then i could see there might be a hesitation. I would just make sure you get everything in writing. like your length of stay. there is a HUGE difference in 6 months and 2 years. and if there's nothing in writing, theres nothing saying they can't make you stay for much longer then that. and as already stated, knowing your pay is important, as well as who's paying for your travel expenses and living expenses.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
think of it this way, if you are single them you can go, if you say no, would they give you another look when it comes to promotions or raises or what have you.

if you are married, I would still think about it. that way if its a no, you can use that. but again it might look bad if you dont take it.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Ivas
el Ruco

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (now runnin' TENS )
You should go. You'll probably marry one of them fine Nigerian babes, have lots of children and establish an African dynasty to die for.
Ivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
Not married and a spritely 27 years old.

-G
And probbly why you were asked to go.
If anything happens, you more expendable with no dependants to ask for big money.

Id quietly find out who else they asked.

It could be a big time deal that would move you up or a suckers bet no one else will take.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
hotrodsally
The Legend Lives On

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS SIM
Send a message via Yahoo to hotrodsally
Make sure (in writing) that you have a guaranteed position stateside at the end of your "tour."

Viva Las Vegas!
hotrodsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #13
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

I don't think that it would hurt me professionally to say no. They have people turn down ex-pat assignments all the time. We are specifically asked when we come into this part of the organization what countries/parts of the world we will not go to.

I said that I would go anywhere but any place in Africa/The Middle East would be a case by case basis and that I was more inclined to say no to those requests.

We have people working on middle east projects stateside who said when they were asked to do those projects that they would do those as long as they did not have to travel to said countries.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #14
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
i would love to go to africa. more specifically, south africa