Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
catalan

Drives: -
Car ticking sound when switching off the Camaro .. normal ?

When i switch off my new Automatic 2011 SS and leave it in the garage, there is this ticking sound that comes from the car and stays for more than 2 minutes .. is this normal? or is there a fault ?

Thank you guys in advanced and appreciate your feedback ...
catalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
scottyvegas
X SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRSM6 1988 Sportside
Could be the heat shields contrasting/expanding.
MODS: PEDDERS XA COIL OVERS, STAGE 3 CAM, McLEOD CLUTCH, SKIP SHIFT, , HURST SHORT THROW, CAI INTAKE, SCOOP, WASHER RELO KIT, KOOKS HEADERS, KOOKS HI FLOW CATS, CUSTOM TUNE, QTP CUT OUTS, PAINTED STRIPES, PAINTED SS EMBLEMS, PAINTED FIN, PAINTED REAR TAIL LAMP BEZELS, HERITAGE GRILLE, DUCTS, AAC STUFF, BAER ROTORS, HAWK PADS, FUZZY DICE, LASER BEAMS, DISCO BALL, SYBIAN & 3 CHROME VALVE STEM CAPS................
scottyvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
if you sit in your car for a few mins AFTER you turn it off, the car will make some noises that seems to come out of the dash. Kinda crazy, but that's normal. If this is what you're experiencing then you have no reason to worry
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Phail

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 IOM
Every car i've ever owned has done this. I always assumed its was as Scotty says, hot parts cooling off. Same as your house bangs once and awhile when the heat comes on.
Phail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyvegas View Post
Could be the heat shields contrasting/expanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phail View Post
Every car i've ever owned has done this. I always assumed its was as Scotty says, hot parts cooling off. Same as your house bangs once and awhile when the heat comes on.
This and this ^^^^ Some cars are just a lot more noticeable doing it than others.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
As mentioed before It's probably contraction (of the exhaust pipes) due to heat. A ticking sound...One way to get rid of it is to crawl under the car and hold on to the cat....the sound of your screaming will make the noise stop....my2
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
it is contraction in the engine area do to parts starting to cool down.this is absolutely normal.when things get hot they expand and when they cool down they contract.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
stso634

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbear View Post
As mentioed before It's probably contraction (of the exhaust pipes) due to heat. A ticking sound...One way to get rid of it is to crawl under the car and hold on to the cat....the sound of your screaming will make the noise stop....my2

stso634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
I agree with the suggestions here. This sound should be from the exhaust system cooling down. If you feel it is something more than just this you could have the vehicle checked. I see you are in Bahrain and I am unsure as to how far your dealership is from you but hopefully it isn't too terribly far for you. I hope these answers help to put your concerns to rest.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
catalan

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
I agree with the suggestions here. This sound should be from the exhaust system cooling down. If you feel it is something more than just this you could have the vehicle checked. I see you are in Bahrain and I am unsure as to how far your dealership is from you but hopefully it isn't too terribly far for you. I hope these answers help to put your concerns to rest.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Thank you all for your feedback .. I just thought it was weird because the ticking sound lasted for about 10 minutes sometimes ...

Yeah i am from Bahrain and the GM Dealer is just 15 minutes far.. It's a small country so all the car dealers are around and all the hangout places are around as well !!
catalan is offline   Reply With Quote