Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #29
JeffHudgensMD

Drives: 2013 RS Camaro (2 LT)
And I won't take it anywhere but the Chevy dealership... and as much damage on the corners and bent metal I can't see how they cant replace it with new metal
JeffHudgensMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #30
Iano

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
My GTO was destroyed a few years ago by a hail storm, every panel was hit. Insurance cut a check for ~8k, repair was closer to 15k (they paid out in full to the body shop). I took it to the best body shop I could find in the area. I was on a 6 month waiting list to get in. Was basically a full repaint and either replacement or repair of almost every panel. I ended up paying a little out of pocket since the shop charged higher rates than the insurance company would reimburse at, but it was worth it, car looked brand new when it came out of there. I can't speak for your dealership, but I personally would take it to a high end body shop before I'd take it to a dealership. A good body shop will know when to replace panels and when to attempt repair. Good luck.
Iano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #31
JeffHudgensMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iano View Post
My GTO was destroyed a few years ago by a hail storm, every panel was hit. Insurance cut a check for ~8k, repair was closer to 15k (they paid out in full to the body shop). I took it to the best body shop I could find in the area. I was on a 6 month waiting list to get in. Was basically a full repaint and either replacement or repair of almost every panel. I ended up paying a little out of pocket since the shop charged higher rates than the insurance company would reimburse at, but it was worth it, car looked brand new when it came out of there. I can't speak for your dealership, but I personally would take it to a high end body shop before I'd take it to a dealership. A good body shop will know when to replace panels and when to attempt repair. Good luck.
Yea... I've considered that as well... I'll just have to see what they say and such =(
Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #32
hharris

Drives: 2013 1LE
I own a collision center. Of course not in your area but I can tell you the only thing dealerships have over a good independent high end body shop, is the sign above the door.

And if you paid more than your deductible because "the shop charged more than the insurance company would reimburse at" you unfortunately got lied too and hosed!

The insurance companies tell customers that all the time. The customers believe it and let the car go to where the insurance company wants and in return the insurance company gets a discount on the repairs. Bravo to you not letting them dictate who repairs YOUR car

The only way that could actually happen is if that particular shop charges more than the prevailing rate in that local area. For example I am in the St Louis metro area. So there's hundreds of shops all capped at the same rates. If one shop was to charge more per hour then he would be.... Well.... Out of business.

My best advise is make sure you decide where it goes, not the insurance company. It's your car. Get good referrals from friends or family, inspect some completed work. And let them know exactly what you expect up front.

Good luck
hharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #33
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
I'm kind of surprised no one has used the word "totaled." I guess because its residual value is so high, the insurance is going to have to eat it and pay for repairs. It ain't gonna be cheap, but that's what insurance is for. Good luck, Doc.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #34
POWERMAN

Drives: '13 Charger Sxt+
Dang!!!

That's a definite bummer..

Wonder if PDR would help..
POWERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #35
Iano

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
That's actually the situation with the body shop I was referencing, their rates were higher by a few $s in both body & paint than the area rates. Given their reputation in the state though I doubt they'll be out of business anytime soon. :P

You reminded me of one of the things the insurance company tried, they have a list of "recommended shops" and they "guarantee/warranty" the work that comes out of the shops on their lists. Thy really pushed that fact in discussions a few times trying to get me to use their shops, but turns out the shop I took it too had something similar regardless of the insurance company.
Iano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #36
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHudgensMD View Post
Baseball sized hail
WTF Man!!?? I feel for you my friend. No one wants to see that happen to anyone! Good luck with the repairs, if it can be. Hope your insurance takes care of you.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #37
hharris

Drives: 2013 1LE
Yeah if they do a lot of exotics they can usually justify the higher labor rates.

You are correct, we hear that all the time. But The shop is the one who puts the warranty on the repair not the insurance company. They just help reinforce it
hharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #38
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
That sucks! Mine was hit with hail last summer, owned it less than 2 months. Took it to the insurance co's preferred body shop for repairs. Hail repairs are fine bit watch how they put the car back together. They misaligned my truck so it rubbed when opened, now rusted. Also had to realign the hood. They also put huge scratches in one of the doors, fixed it, but left swirl marks all over the car. They got them out of the door, but left the swirls everywhere else. they messed up my blue tooth. I fought with them for a bit as I knew there were no swirls on it.

Do not pay your deductible until you are 100% satisfied. Make sure you pick it up on a sunny day so you can really look the car over and don't inspect under shop lights.

Good luck!
smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #39
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Your camaro is aerodynamic like a golf ball now

That sucks so bad OP.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #40
JeffHudgensMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
I'm kind of surprised no one has used the word "totaled." I guess because its residual value is so high, the insurance is going to have to eat it and pay for repairs. It ain't gonna be cheap, but that's what insurance is for. Good luck, Doc.

John B.

Several people around me have mentioned it may be totaled... None on here though.

Personally, I don't see how a 2013 2 LT RS with 16,000 miles can be totaled from hail damage.... The pics don't do the car justice... there are alot of strikes on the bent parts of the metal. I assume I'll need a new hood, new roof (the glass will have to be removed and put back in), new driver fender, and door.

I'll just have to wait and see what they are going to do.... The cost of the parts, paint work, new stripes (that I won't accept if they are the slightest bit misaligned), labor, and the cost of the rental car for as long as the repairs take... It may be cheaper for them to replace the car. Who knows?

I do know this... This WILL KILL my resale... Bc it will have been repainted and new panels, and probly turned in to carfax as a hail damaged car. So.... I think I'm pretty much boned.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #41
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHudgensMD View Post
Several people around me have mentioned it may be totaled... None on here though.

Personally, I don't see how a 2013 2 LT RS with 16,000 miles can be totaled from hail damage.... The pics don't do the car justice... there are alot of strikes on the bent parts of the metal. I assume I'll need a new hood, new roof (the glass will have to be removed and put back in), new driver fender, and door. =(
16,000 miles already? Bro, you treat that car right
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #42
JeffHudgensMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
16,000 miles already? Bro, you treat that car right
They are built to drive... not sit in a garage! =)