Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #43
rickr9504

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1 LE
Alright, I wanted to give an update after having installed my Michelin pilot A/S3 and using them for a few weeks now. Just to be clear this is my opinion and not intended in anyway to contradict anyone else's opinion.

At first I had my doubts when reading all the comments about how silly it was to go that route because the 1LE "needs" to have more sporty tires such as the PSS or the Eagle F1. Well, sorry to say but I don't see any difference from the Goodyear. Of course i don't have track tested them but for a daily driver, these tires are no different from the Eagle F1. I actually like them better. They are less noisy and they stick to the road very well. I even noticed a little bit of over steer in sharp turns, which was weird. My confidence level in the rain has also gone up and I don't get the casual slip of the rear tires when starting at a red light when wet. No need to say that the heavy rains we have had in Florida this summer were a bit scary.

Overall, the tires give a good dose of confidence to the driver regardless of the conditions. I am sure they would not match the PSS at the track or even the Goodyear but so far they are good enough for me and they do not take much from the car sporty behavior in town.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #44
NJ Drive
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 1SS 1LE white
There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying tires to suit one's needs. You can still drive spiritedly on all-seasons and less white-knuckled when things get wet.
NJ Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:09 AM   #45
Sps

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS2/RS 1LE Rally Yellow
The Op was just asking for feedback on his tire selection, not what he should be doing or not doing with his car.. And if some of you took the time to do some research before opening your mouth, you wouldn't look like idiots. Your tire selection is fine Rick,,,
Attached Images

Last edited by Sps; 08-09-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Sps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #46
Stock Boy

Drives: 2014 1LE
I have them too, Rick. They are MUCH better in the rain than the GYs. They also are supposed to last much longer. I use these as my street tires. I have a second set of wheels for my track tires. I'll buy another set of these when they wear out....
Stock Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #47
Reginald

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Thanks for the thread Rick, My wife bought our 1LE because it was "cute." it is a DD at 100 miles a day from Wasilla to Anchorage five days a week and to the grocery store on the weekend. So that should raise a few hairs but I couldn't care less. I just ordered a set of A/S 3 and will put them on 20x10 23mm off set so I can rotate the tires and I will drive it in the snow and rain and sun and in four or five years when all the garage queens have a few thousand miles on them, ours will be pushing 100k plus and I will enjoy every mile.
Reginald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #48
fatboy99

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Thanks for the thread Rick, My wife bought our 1LE because it was "cute." it is a DD at 100 miles a day from Wasilla to Anchorage five days a week and to the grocery store on the weekend. So that should raise a few hairs but I couldn't care less. I just ordered a set of A/S 3 and will put them on 20x10 23mm off set so I can rotate the tires and I will drive it in the snow and rain and sun and in four or five years when all the garage queens have a few thousand miles on them, ours will be pushing 100k plus and I will enjoy every mile.
right on man, enjoy the hell out out of your car anyway you choose, that's the bottom line. And glad we have these discussions cause it opens my eyes to help me make that tire decision when the day comes.
fatboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #49
BruHop

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE,RS,NPP,Recaros in SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan915 View Post
I have Michelin A/S 3 but I do live in KC where the winters get pretty harsh and it's my DD so I need the traction of all season tires

So everyone focused on tires. I cringed at the 1LE in the snow! Ouch.......

Get any tires you want. Everyone has an opinion, listen to them all, then form your own. I like the Goodyear's. I Autocross them and when they get warm they STICK.
That said, I live in California, we don't have cold weather here, and when (if) it rains, the 1LE stays in the garage. I hate cleaning the undercarriage from wet roads. No, it is not a daily driver. It's a weekend rocketship!!
BruHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:38 AM   #50
kinematic11
patiently waiting my turn

Drives: 2013 SS RS 1LE
tires do make a difference

My lotus exige came with purpose built tires like the 1LE does, for a reason, to handle the absolute best. I can speak from experience on several other cars but cannot (yet) on the 1LE, that buying a "different" tire WILL change the cars handling. I gained a much better ride in the wet and softer ride on the street, but lost all kinds of grip for stopping and in any turns. it was a dramatic change and it was a negative change. several folks selling used 1LE's have swapped out the GY's at 1000 miles and put on the Michelins and love them. they are just driving on the street. They say the Michelin do not throw rocks like the gy's, which tells me they are gonna be way less sticky.

Dave

just a troll until I actually buy one.......v
1984 trans am
kinematic11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #51
BruHop

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE,RS,NPP,Recaros in SW
The majority here will not go to the All-Season tires. If you look at the Mods listed, most on this site are trying to increase horsepower and/or make the suspension/handling better. So, with that said they won't go to a tire that will give less grip at the extreme. If you get away from Summer only tires, you are getting better treadwear and less grip. It's a choice. We all have our Camaro's for different reasons.

Heck, I might put racing slicks on if it was legal. I personally want to increase the handling so bushings for all the suspension parts, lowering springs/or coilovers, rear cradle bushings are all things I want to do.
BruHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #52
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
I just ordered a 1LE, and am now in the waiting period. I live in Ohio, where we only have three seasons: Winter, Summer and Rain. The rims and tires that come standard on the 1LE will be fantastic during summer, and I don't intend to drive it much during winter, but that six month "rain" season is what I am worried about. It won't be one or the other for me. I plan to have two sets, one all season set for rain and some of winter (Before snow) and the stickier tires for summer.

We can argue the semantics of a single set for the intended purpose of the car, but I just want to enjoy it as much of the year as possible. If that means track days and curvy roads with the summer tires, and more cautious driving with all seasons in the other months, then that may work best for me and my region. Otherwise, I'm limiting myself to a 2.5 month window each year to enjoy the car the "intended" way.

For the all seasons, I want longevity and maybe even smallest size rims that will fit on the car with a little more sidewall on the tires. For the summer tires, the stock rims with whatever grips well and and lets me enjoy the car to its full potential. That way I can have the best possible scenario for safe driving most of the year.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #53
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneCynic View Post
I just ordered a 1LE, and am now in the waiting period. I live in Ohio, where we only have three seasons: Winter, Summer and Rain. The rims and tires that come standard on the 1LE will be fantastic during summer, and I don't intend to drive it much during winter, but that six month "rain" season is what I am worried about. It won't be one or the other for me. I plan to have two sets, one all season set for rain and some of winter (Before snow) and the stickier tires for summer.

We can argue the semantics of a single set for the intended purpose of the car, but I just want to enjoy it as much of the year as possible. If that means track days and curvy roads with the summer tires, and more cautious driving with all seasons in the other months, then that may work best for me and my region. Otherwise, I'm limiting myself to a 2.5 month window each year to enjoy the car the "intended" way.

For the all seasons, I want longevity and maybe even smallest size rims that will fit on the car with a little more sidewall on the tires. For the summer tires, the stock rims with whatever grips well and and lets me enjoy the car to its full potential. That way I can have the best possible scenario for safe driving most of the year.
I agree that you will need a different tire for your winter. Living in SE Georgia on the coast I still had a few days I choose to ride with my wife because of cold temps. I don't agree with the need for a different tire for rain. Maybe this comes from driving nothing but wider tire cars for the last 20 plus years of my life, but I have driven the 1LE in light rain to downpours. It is my daily driver. I have never had any more issue with this car than the '93 Z/28 and the '01 WS6. If its wet, one has to use precaution.....in any vehicle!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #54
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
That's good to know. I've driven mostly pickup trucks most of my life, so that is usually what I drive in winter anyway, but you never know when you might have an issue with one vehicle and be forced to drive the other one. So, yeah, definitely will want a set of winter tires just in case.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:37 PM   #55
JGinLA
Since 1978

Drives: 2015 1LE SIM RS/2SS
Thanks for the update, OP. I was planning on making the same move. Glad it worked out for you.
1993 Z28 black- 6 sp
1979 TransAm black T/A 6.6- 4 sp
JGinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #56
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
I like the Toyo Proxie 4+ for an all season alternative to the summer only Pirellis. General GMax A/S are not bad either but they get a little noisy after 10,000 miles.