Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #29
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
My car is at the dealership right now getting the new brakes, and it has the roller skates. I'm just hoping this fixes the problem.
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #30
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
I just had new slotted rotors and ceramic pads installed and I bedded them properly but I'm still experiencing loud squeals. I understand that people say these will squeal periodically but it seems this is excessive IMO. It's embarrassing to have a nice car like this and have your brakes squeal at every stop sign or light.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #31
BUMBLE B

Drives: 99 Z28 CONV and 2010 SS
My brakes squeel too, when cold. Crappy alloy/pad combo, or design. FAIL.
BUMBLE B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #32
BUMBLE B

Drives: 99 Z28 CONV and 2010 SS
Dealer will order new pads monday.....sure hope that this does it. It is an embarassment when cold, and an embarassment to GM, as if they care about their flagship new car making a bad impression to wanna-be ownerss.
BUMBLE B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #33
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
My best track pads squeal horribly. When we took two cars out to the track and approached the toll plaza it was terrible or comical depending on your perspective. The reality is, the better the pad for hard breaking the louder it will be. That is why it is so common for people that do any hard driving replace the quieter OE pad.

The G8 has very quiet OE pads. The OE G8 pads will fail in a few hard road course laps. The Camaro SS pads do make noise. The Camaro SS pads will also hold up in hard use. I have road coursed with my OE SS pads.

Do the OE SS pads make noise? Yes. I consider brake noise like that to be the same as the exhaust rumble from the LS3. That puts me in the minority. The only way to get rid of the squeal is to use a soft pad. You can tone it down with backing plate paste or weights as GM is using, but the source is the pad material. Go to any SCCA track event and listen to the brakes on the cars being auto-crossed or tracked. Most of the cars will have brakes that make more noise than OE pads.

Btw, I also own a Mustang GT that we are using to develop suspension for Saleen. The OE brakes were quiet as a church mouse. They also are terrible. 6 laps, 1 warm up, 4 hot and 1 cool down and the OE Mustang pads were gone. Literally with less than 5K and six laps the pads were 80% gone and the rotors destroyed, but the Mustang OE pads sure were quiet....
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #34
04Ram2500Hemi

All I can say is "ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?" I'm on my second set of brake pads, and at 2600 miles the squeak is back. It has started pretty subtle, but before long I know I'm going to be right back to where I started. I really like my car, but this is my first Chevy product, and I'm really hoping it won't be my last, or a short term vehicle. I'm going to play with it a bit to see if I can make it go away, but it may end back at the GM dealership for another look.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #35
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ram2500Hemi View Post
All I can say is "ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?" I'm on my second set of brake pads, and at 2600 miles the squeak is back. It has started pretty subtle, but before long I know I'm going to be right back to where I started. I really like my car, but this is my first Chevy product, and I'm really hoping it won't be my last, or a short term vehicle. I'm going to play with it a bit to see if I can make it go away, but it may end back at the GM dealership for another look.
Several people who have read this thread have emailed or sent PMs indicating they are having squeal problems with fill-in-the-blank aftermarket pads. The harder the pad the more prone it will be to squeal. Softer pads are quieter but less effective. Good bedding does help reduce the noise on both hard and soft pads. There is 'quiet' paste that can be applied to the back plates and should be. That will help too. My best guess is a bit of bedding will really help many people who have brake noise.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #36
04Ram2500Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Several people who have read this thread have emailed or sent PMs indicating they are having squeal problems with fill-in-the-blank aftermarket pads. The harder the pad the more prone it will be to squeal. Softer pads are quieter but less effective. Good bedding does help reduce the noise on both hard and soft pads. There is 'quiet' paste that can be applied to the back plates and should be. That will help too. My best guess is a bit of bedding will really help many people who have brake noise.
I understand what you're saying, but it still think that if somebody pay's $35,000 for a car, that the brakes should not squeal like these do. I know there has to be a fix, but I don't believe that any cost to fix this should come out of my back pocket. For crying out loud my 3/4 Ram is still on it's original set of brake pads and I have 53,000 miles on the truck, and I'm running 35" tires with a minor suspension lift.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #37
JusticePete

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but it still think that if somebody pay's $35,000 for a car, that the brakes should not squeal like these do. I know there has to be a fix, but I don't believe that any cost to fix this should come out of my back pocket. For crying out loud my 3/4 Ram is still on it's original set of brake pads and I have 53,000 miles on the truck, and I'm running 35" tires with a minor suspension lift.
I am going to get flamed for this. So much opf this has to do with how the car is driven. My OE SS brakes did not squeal. Can I ask you to do a mild bedding program 40 to 20, 20 to 20 and 60 to 20. Do not come to a full stop and let the brakes cool for a couple of miles. Drive the car for a few days and report back the results. What do you think?
Old 08-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #38
2Devious

Drives: 2013 SIM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE NPP NAV
Quote:
I guess being a Camaro newby, is this common with the SS, and is a hard stop like El Diablo suggested the best way to take care of the issue?
This has nothing to do with the vehicle being a Camaro, but has some to do with being an SS.

This "problem" has ALL to do with the Brembo brake system. This is what high performance brakes do.

I just came out of a totally different vehicle with Brembo brakes and they did the exact same thing.

Go take a look at any vehicles forums that come stock with Brembos and do a search for "brembo squeel".

A lot of other performance vehicles with Brembos have had good success with softer compound pads like the Hawk ceramics.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #39
04Ram2500Hemi

Quote:
I am going to get flamed for this. So much opf this has to do with how the car is driven. My OE SS brakes did not squeal. Can I ask you to do a mild bedding program 40 to 20, 20 to 20 and 60 to 20. Do not come to a full stop and let the brakes cool for a couple of miles. Drive the car for a few days and report back the results. What do you think?
I'll give it a go. Just so I understand though- go from 40 to 20 with a hard brake application and then let off, and a 60 to 20 with a hard brake application. The 20 to 20 I don't follow though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Devious View Post
This has nothing to do with the vehicle being a Camaro, but has some to do with being an SS.

This "problem" has ALL to do with the Brembo brake system. This is what high performance brakes do.

I just came out of a totally different vehicle with Brembo brakes and they did the exact same thing.

Go take a look at any vehicles forums that come stock with Brembos and do a search for "brembo squeel".

A lot of other performance vehicles with Brembos have had good success with softer compound pads like the Hawk ceramics.
It may be a Brembo thing, but I don't think it's a performance car thing. My buddy has an 09 Dodge Viper ACR and he has had no brake squeal issues, and that's comming from a $100,000 car.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #40
JusticePete

Quote:
I'll give it a go. Just so I understand though- go from 40 to 20 with a hard brake application and then let off, and a 60 to 20 with a hard brake application. The 20 to 20 I don't follow though.
Typo.

40 to 20 and stand on the brakes hard
50 to 20 and stand on the brakes hard
60 to 20 and stand on the brakes hard

Drive a couple of miles with no brake use to let them cool before you come to a full stop.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #41
JusticePete

Quote:
It may be a Brembo thing, but I don't think it's a performance car thing. My buddy has an 09 Dodge Viper ACR and he has had no brake squeal issues, and that's comming from a $100,000 car.
With that V10 and agressive exhaust maybe he can't hear it
Old 08-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #42
04Ram2500Hemi

Quote:
Typo.

40 to 20 and stand on the brakes hard
50 to 20 and stand on the brakes hard
60 to 20 and stand on the brakes hard

Drive a couple of miles with no brake use to let them cool before you come to a full stop.
Again, I'll give it a go. I'm going to try to find a spot tonight or tomorrow and try it. I'm hoping this fixes it. If not, I'll go to the next step. Thanks for the help though- I appreciate it.