Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-10-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
MODIFIED EXHAUST SYSTEM BAN IN THE WORKS

Is anyone on here from Massachusetts?
How long till this applys to stock loud exhust? like the Camaro and them SRT-8 Dodges brought up in another thread.

SEMA eNews, Vol. 10, No.32 - Aug 09, 2007

MODIFIED EXHAUST SYSTEM BAN TO BE CONSIDERED IN MASSACHUSETTS
After being stalled by SEMA for the last several years, a bill to ban the sale or installation of "an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust" was reintroduced and has been scheduled for an October hearing in the Massachusetts Legislature.

The measure does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation.

For additional information, see www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62241

Another article from Jalopnik.com below regarding this.

http://jalopnik.com/cars/i-got-your-...ust-287920.php

Old 08-10-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Well that sucks! If the police don't have any guide to go by, then it's just another loop-hole to let them ticket sports cars...or spud-shooter ricers...
Old 08-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
The noise must've been waking up Ted Kennedy after one of his binges
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Welcome to Virginia! It's been like that here for as long as I've lived here...it's a true pain in the ass. Mostly they bother the imports though, the domestics rarely have to worry about it.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
I live in Virginia and I've never heard of that here. I've had friends who were ticketed for "Disturbing the Peace" because of their sound systems, but never exhaust. If it really is a law here I'm going to have to tip off a few officers about the annoying ass motorcycles that go past my house at all hours of the day and night. They're so loud you can't hear the TV in the basement when they go by.
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
...Mostly they bother the imports though, the domestics rarely have to worry about it.
Why does that make me tickle on the inside?
Old 08-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #7
MerF
Go Rays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthman View Post
I live in Virginia and I've never heard of that here. I've had friends who were ticketed for "Disturbing the Peace" because of their sound systems, but never exhaust. If it really is a law here I'm going to have to tip off a few officers about the annoying ass motorcycles that go past my house at all hours of the day and night. They're so loud you can't hear the TV in the basement when they go by.
Where in VA do you live? It is extremely bad in the Hampton Roads area (757). I lived there with a modified Accord and Supra, both vehicles received countless fix-it tickets while I lived there.

They're so bad that when I first started doing stuff to the Accord in 2001, it was just lowered with an intake tube on it, I got pulled over for improper exhaust. I told him the exhaust was 100% stock from the factory. He said there's no way because he heard me accelerating. I told him he probably heard the intake. He said the exhaust has a chrome tip on it. I literally laughed at him and explained that all Hondas have a chrome little cover over the exhaust, just that they usually rust off in a couple years and mine gets washed regularly so it's still shiny.

He argued with me for 15 minutes about it and finally gave up. But there are plenty of stories around of being given tickets for improper equipment. The Virginia Statute (I can look it up if you don't believe me, I don't feel like it at the moment) states that ANY MODIFICATION TO THE VEHICLE NOT FROM THE FACTORY is illegal and may be fined. And I was fined, pretty extensively.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
Dark Knight
Does it come in BLACK?

Drives: 2001 FIREBIRD (for now!!)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dark Knight
besides the weather being colder than shit in the winter time....this is just yet another reason why i will never.....ever.....move north!!

Good things come to those who wait
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham

Talk about Fun-suckers...
Old 08-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #10
juzlookzfazt

Drives: 2000 Mitsu Eclipse..for now..
Eh, no problem with me. I love the subtle sounds of stock exhausts, especially on V8's. I live in Florida, so I doubt something serious like will happen.
juzlookzfazt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #11
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthman View Post

I agree with the motorcycle thing....the worst part is the guy across the street from me and his buddies will sit there and rev up their "legal" motorcycles at midnight or later. I wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't have 3 little kids that were trying to sleep.

Even if you call the cops, and IF they respond to the call, they won't/can't really do anything about it. The cops around here only bother the people they want to bother. Everyone else gets ignored. Even if you do something illegal right in front of a cop (not stopping on a red before making the right turn, running left turn arrows, running red lights (really bad around here lately), etc, they just turn an uninterested eye to it. Unless of course you're one of the people they want to bother. Then they nail you for everything.

In my old Camaro (3rd Gen RS with t-tops), I was driving around with my girlfriend and the cop literally passed us going the other way and made a u-turn in the middle of the street to follow us. I wasn't doing anything illegal, so I just kept going. He finally flipped on his lights, so I pulled over. I took off my seatbelt to get my wallet out, and he comes up and says he pulled me over for not having my seatbelt on. I said I had it on until you pulled me over. He says he couldn't see it so I pointed out to him that my car has these little "brackets" attached to the side of the upper part of the seat. The seatbelt attached to the B-pillar came down through those brackets so that they would line up properly for coming across your shoulder. Because of that, it may have looked like I didn't have my seatbelt on, but I did (too make it worse, the seatbelt thing at the time was a secondary offense...meaning they had to pull you over for something else to write you a ticket for it). He took my info and went back to his car....sat for like 15 minutes, came back, gave me my info back and told me to keep the speed down and buckle up, and then he walked away before I could say anything. That was back when cops around here were known to hassle Camaro/Firebird/Mustang drivers just because they could.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure that's changed....remind me again why I want to get a new Camaro.....

http://www.bobmcdormanchevrolet.com/09camconv.html

Nevermind, no more reminder necessary.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #12
MerF
Go Rays!

LOL @ last line.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:43 PM   #13
marczsport
GM Forever!

Drives: 06' Envoy ; 05' Impala
Send a message via AIM to marczsport
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
The noise must've been waking up Ted Kennedy after one of his binges
Speaking of Ted, I wonder if he'll use his influence to make the law non-binding in underwater applications?
marczsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #14
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by marczsport View Post
Speaking of Ted, I wonder if he'll use his influence to make the law non-binding in underwater applications?
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote