Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
After First Oil Change----WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

As I expected, it runs and sounds exactly as before. Dealer normally washes the car before customer picks up so, I dropped mine car off freshly washed so they didn't have to wash it and to avoid having the feeling of "wow this feels faster!" that you get after you wash your car.

Anyway, the TSB 09207 came up for my car. It consists of HVAC re-program, Check/relocate Engine Harness/heater hose, and check/replace rear spoiler nut. Dealer completed it. So far, I have not noticed any issues with the car unlike others that experienced issues after the HVAC re-prog was done. The engine harness and the spoiler nuts were already checked by me beforehand so I didn't expect the dealer would have to do anything.

Dealer also fixed the rice-krispies sound from behind the glove box per TSB. Dealer said it was pretty easy. I don't hear the sound anymore.

$95 for the oil and filter change. 8+ quarts of Mobil 1 5w30 Syn.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post

$95 for the oil and filter change. 8+ quarts of Mobil 1 5w30 Syn.

OMFG! Seriously?....that's anal rape.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
No rape. That's how much I pay for an oil change as well.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Don O
Camaro and Vettehead

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM L99 69 427/400 Vette
Jeez, after my first free one, all oil changes will be done at Don O's garage.

Don O
Don O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicompression View Post
OMFG! Seriously?....that's anal rape.
you could say that but really, it is not that bad.

Dealer charged half an hour for labor so that is $47.50 for labor, and say it cost the dealer at least $25 for the 8 quartz of M1 synthetic and filter, and I had to pay 8.5% tax, disposal fee, etc. Sounds like a fair price to me.

Sure you can get a 5qt bottle deal of M1 synthetic and filter for $30 but you need 8 quarts so you'll have to buy two 5 qt bottles so that's $60! Then you calculate the time it takes you to change your oil and filter, the mess you gotta clean up, oil to dispose of, jacking up and down the car, etc. etc. etc. Not for me anymore. I used to change my own oil but I figured, it costs more to do it on my own than taking it to a pro.

Plus they check and top off your fluids, set your tire pressure, and generally look over the car for other signs of potential problems,

For me $95 is a GREAT deal. At the dealer, you go in, you make yourself a nice cup of coffee, you watch TV, read a car mag, look at the nice cars in the showroom, browse in the parts dept, relax, then 30 or so minutes later, you pay, they drive your freshly washed car up to you and you are on your merry way.

But i have 10 qts of M1 syn in my garage so I just might change the oil in the Camaro next time for just this 1 time. I have a car lift in my garage so it won't be too bad.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
I picked up enough Mobil1 and Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil1 filters for 10 oil changes at a cost of $41.25 for synthetic and Mobil1.

I will take $55 I saved, buy a 12 pack of Molson Golden, drop in a Zeppelin CD, spend 45 minutes relaxing in my driveway After allowing my oil to thoroughly (and properly) drain for 30 minutes. Then take used oil to Autozone for free recycle, and still have $45 left in my pocket.

Saved $550 over 10 changes, DIY. To me, that is worth 8 hours of my time.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
No rape. That's how much I pay for an oil change as well.
When you go to a dealer for servicing it's expected to pay high rates.

Maybe you are made of money but yes $95.00 for an oil and filter change is high. If I was to spend money on an oil change I would just go to a Quick Lube place that does specialized in oil changes and pay a lot less.

But I don't trust anyone else to change my oil and filter.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:56 AM   #8
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
When you go to a dealer for servicing it's expected to pay high rates.

Maybe you are made of money but yes $95.00 for an oil and filter change is high. If I was to spend money on an oil change I would just go to a Quick Lube place that does specialized in oil changes and pay a lot less.

But I don't trust anyone else to change my oil and filter.
Actually, lube places aren't that much less. I think what you don't realize is it takes 8 quartz of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. You might be thinking 5 qts of standard oil. And I highly doubt any lube place would know more about changing anything on a car than a dealer.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:36 AM   #9
fixxxer525
Account Suspended

Drives: 01S10,01CBR600,05Ducati, 10 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to fixxxer525
Oil change is one of the simple things you can do yourself, next to pissing. Has America really gone lazy, no wonder there's a lot of obese people in the US. On the other hand, I guess people make more money than me. If you have the cash, go for it. Or next time come by my place give me $95 and 20min later, you can be back on the road.
fixxxer525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:42 AM   #10
kismyss

Drives: CGM 2SS Roto-Fab CAI, Mach XL CAT
My dealer in houston offers Mobil 1 Synthetic oil changes for 39.95 for the life of the vehicle when you buy the vehicle from them. They have a 30 min quick lube at the dealer. You know it's also a ploy to get you in there to do every possible thing to your car once your in there or even buy another vehicle but noone holds a gun to your head all you have to do is say no and thanks for the oil change. Freakin awesome deal. For non synthetic it's only 9.95 for the life of the car if purchased from them.
kismyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Do it myself, in my driveway Enough oil/filters in the garage for 3 more. It's so easy to do, even taught my girlfriend how to do her own on her Tacoma!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer525 View Post
Oil change is one of the simple things you can do yourself, next to pissing. Has America really gone lazy, no wonder there's a lot of obese people in the US. On the other hand, I guess people make more money than me. If you have the cash, go for it. Or next time come by my place give me $95 and 20min later, you can be back on the road.
that would be be. I admit, I have gone lazy over the years. Believe me, I used to change the oil, coolant, etc. etc. on the previous 25+ cars and motorcycles I have owned and ENJOYED doing it. I even looked forward to going to the auto-parts store, buying oil, filter, etc. etc, jacking up the car, getting dirty, etc. etc. I loved doing it and the sense of accomplishment afterward.

Now, I have lift in my garage that I can drive the camaro on and do the oil change, etc. if I want to. The prob is, I just don't like getting my hands oily and greasy anymore I guess. And definitely don't want to deal with waste disposal. Going to the dealer for 30+ minutes for an oil change is a lot more convenient for me. $95 every 3 months or so is not a lot of money and does not hurt the wallet. It just all depends how one applies their time and money, that's all.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
What? You mean you didnt pick up an instant 150 hp? They musta done something wrong...BTW....Nobody...I mean Nobody does anything to my car unless its a recall item...But if its worth it to you..its all good.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #14
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
What? You mean you didnt pick up an instant 150 hp? They musta done something wrong...BTW....Nobody...I mean Nobody does anything to my car unless its a recall item...But if its worth it to you..its all good.

No sir. It didn't feel faster or more powerful after the oil change. Next time, I will ask the dealer to use the "special oil" for extra hp.