Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
P0014

So this morning I went to the movies, I had about 40 miles left in the tank according to the fuel range meter. I went in 2 hrs later come out and start up the car, first I get a weird warning on the speedo saying "Engine power reduced" and also the low fuel warning came up.

So the start was really weird, and the engine revs were really weird sounding. So I went ahead and shut the car off for a few mins, while I checked, oil and the wires and hoses in the engine compartment. I then went ahead and start the car up and it's fine but the CEL is on, I move over to the gas station across the street, the car's a little jerky and fill up. I filled about 16.9 gallons.

Check the oil after letting it sit for a little and the level is fine, it's in the crosshatch. But the CEL is still on, drive home which is about 15 mins away. The drive was fine, in face just as good as it's always been, I did not notice any engine power issues. Get home and check the code and this is what I get....

P0014 "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

I have been using 93 gas for about 3 weeks, drove about 600 miles with this gas, but this was just weird.

I did a search for the code on the site and this is what I found....

http://camaro5.com/forums/search.php?searchid=13512805

I hope it's not closer to the second thread and this was just a weird once in a blue moon thing. I cleared the code and I will see if I get this again tomorrow.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
First guess is it's timing chain related and/or things were not put back together quite right, if the CEL keeps coming back... hopefully it was just just a one time odd thing...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
First guess is it's timing chain related and/or things were not put back together quite right, if the CEL keeps coming back... hopefully it was just just a one time odd thing...
Yea if its the timing chain another clue to piece the puzzle to figure out what happened the first time the engine blew.

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Mercury Sable
Old 02-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
SOB well if my memory serves me you had a rebuild, If need be you need a new engine if timing chain is causing problems. I really hope it is nothing for your sake, CEL's really don't go off random much for no reason, at least not that I have read.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Blade

So this morning was weird........tried to autostart the car, it started to turn over but stopped. So I put the key in and started the car, and woke right up no problems. Drove to work as well, 15 min drive, no problems power is there, CEL didn't come back on either. But it did ask me to open and close the windows repeatedly for what seemed like 5 mins, so I could finish indexing them. Come to think of it, the car has asked me to do that a bunch of times in the last couple weeks.

I also drove 15 mins last night to pick up pizza, so between the drive last night and this morning nothing weird, and no CEL.

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Mercury Sable
Old 02-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
That window thing has happened a couple of times. I just took it to the dealer and they cleared/reset something for me. If I'm not mistaken you do it through your wiper stalk trip computer controls
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
blade, if I was you I wouldn't have cleared the cel but instead I would of left it on and took it to the dealer. that cam position cel has to do with phasers I believe. maybe the cam timing is not set right.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
blade, if I was you I wouldn't have cleared the cel but instead I would of left it on and took it to the dealer. that cam position cel has to do with phasers I believe. maybe the cam timing is not set right.
but... you know most likely all the tech would have done is cleared it and said come back if it happens again.... LOL
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
FWIW, I found this on a Traverse forum.

Just a little information I found using the service manual about the P0014 code your dealer came up with. I would think it may be powertrain warranty because of what it controls, or it could also be emissions. I would check and see if the timing chain had been worked on in the past on your used Traverse, since that is one of the conditions which may set the P0014 if it wasn't done properly, as noted in the service manual.

The camshaft position (CMP) actuator system enables the engine control module (ECM) to change the timing of the camshafts while the engine is operating. The CMP actuator solenoid signal from the ECM is pulse width modulated (PWM). The ECM controls the CMP actuator solenoid duty cycle by controlling the amount of solenoid ON time. The CMP actuator solenoid controls the advance or the retard of each camshaft. The CMP actuator solenoid controls the oil flow that applies the pressure to advance or retard the camshafts.

• The engine oil condition has a major impact on the camshaft actuator system.
• A low oil level condition may set this DTC. The engine may require an oil change. Inquire with the customer when the last oil change was performed. You may also monitor the scan tool Engine Oil Life parameter. Advise the customer an oil change may be required.
• Inspect the engine for any recent engine mechanical repairs. An incorrectly installed camshaft, camshaft actuator, or timing chain can cause this DTC to set.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Blade

Good points, but I have driven the car for nearly 4000 miles since the rebuild. Wouldn't the car pick up the code sooner, if the timing chain or the cam shaft was improperly installed?

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Mercury Sable
Old 02-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Strange, could it be the tune causing the problems? Doesn't it play with cam phasing? Keep us posted and I hope this is the last of your problems.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
Blade

And the weirdness continued this morning. Actually started yesterday morning. I tried remote starting the ride yesterday morning, and the engine did like a qtr turn or something and stopped but the car started right up when I put the key in and turned the ignition. Throughout the day the car remote started just fine, did it about 3x.

This morning remote start didn't work again. I couldn't turn the car on thru the ignition either. The windows wouldn't work etc. etc. Symptoms of a dead battery, take a look at the voltage, reads 11.9v, thought it was pretty low. Checked the wires from the battery, they are tight. So I get the code scanner out, and I get a bunch of codes saying "System Voltage low", ECM wasn't getting enough power and other related codes.

So I was like well lets jump start and take her in, but before I went looking for my neighbor I turned the key one more time. The engine started up strong and the voltage started pick up too.

I still took the car to the dealer, who is replacing my battery and the negative cable. It was pretty corroded. I saw the corrosion 3 weeks ago, working on the gauges and laid some baking soda on it and then forgot to go back in to clean it all up. Dealer provided me with a Malibu as a loaner since the cable won't arrive till tomorrow.

So weird.

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Mercury Sable
Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Hope it's the end of your issues. Fingers crossed for you.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
Fingers crossed also, I was starting to think battery even before I got to the post about the voltage issues, if that gives you hope. When you said it wouldn't start and then wanted the windows reset, I was thinking maybe the battery is going. These cars these days are ver sensitive to the current and voltage from the battery with all the sensors.
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote