Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-22-2016, 01:22 AM   #29
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boother View Post
Is that the 3/8" port on the passenger top corner? Can it be opened without removing the bumper? Does the factory fill procedure use that bleed screw or are there more instructions in the service manual?
Yes, that's it. And there is a drain just like it on the driver side lower corner.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:37 AM   #30
E. Bryant
Gearhead

Drives: 2012 ZL1
The easiest way to bleed the system is with a vacuum bleeder like the Airlift:

http://www.uview.com/index.cfm?dsp=p...productid=5120

Amazon sells it for around $125, and it's money well-spent - especially if you have other vehicles with tricky-to-bleed cooling systems.

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6 - JRE 650 RWHP kit, AFCO heat exchanger, JPSS V4 aero, Z28 wheels for the twisties and Weld big-n-littles for the dragstrip.
11.193@128.13 in 515' DA
E. Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:47 AM   #31
Boother

Drives: 14 ZL1
How is a vacuum bleeder going to remove the air from the top of the heat exchanger that is above the outlet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Bryant View Post

Amazon sells it for around $125, and it's money well-spent - especially if you have other vehicles with tricky-to-bleed cooling systems.
Boother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #32
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Quote:
How is a vacuum bleeder going to remove the air from the top of the heat exchanger that is above the outlet?
Well, if it's anything like it's name, it will "vacuum" out the air, hence removing it. But that would require that the connection port to the air is liquid free, unless said vacuum system can handle both liquid and gas, which I doubt it can. So, you'd need to partially drain the system so that where you connect this to is above any fluid. Then do a vacuum load, which is technically the best way to do it.

So, just went and looked at that system. Very nice, even has a load port. So, this would be extremely easy to use for any cooling system. I guess the question for our S/C application would be the pump. I'm not sure if it "locks" when it's off. If it will free spool, no problems.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:07 PM   #33
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSecaZL1 View Post
The problem occurred for me because I swapped out my heat exchanger on my ZL1 and didn't verify the coolant flowing. I did fill up over the course of 5 days, and now I don't believe the system was purged of air pockets.

On my Z06, I knew about the potential for cavitation and air pockets. I created the problem when I added an aftermarket reservoir. I was careful during installation and lost a very small amount of coolant.

Verifying intercooler coolant circulation is very important because you will not get a code or DIC message, and the ECM will pull timing if there is an issue. If you can monitor IAT2, which is not the easiest thing to do, then you will see the spike in temperature.

Do you have water/water wetter in your intercooler system or is the coolant pink in the vette?
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #34
Boother

Does anyone have the actual service manual procedure?
Old 08-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #35
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
See post #4

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402468
Old 08-22-2016, 05:09 PM   #36
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayno20 View Post
I'm about to refill the intercooler system with distilled water and water wetter anyway so I figured I'd give this a shot while I'm at it. Did you notice any cooling differences yet?
Haven't driven the car since purging. Busy work week. But I plan on seeing what the differences are soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Bryant View Post

I may just go this route.....seems a lot of time is wasted waiting to purge the system of bubbles....

Quote:

I have the service books but they dont really tell you much. Basically vacuum bleed the system. lol
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:41 PM   #37
Boother

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
I have the service books but they dont really tell you much. Basically vacuum bleed the system. lol
Except according to the service manual pages in the link from Hawk02, there is no vacuum used in the factory procedure. Pulling a vacuum on the top of the system will not remove the air from the top of the heat exchanger as it is a high point. The air will not travel out of the system through the upper house, it will just be stuck in top of the hx. The bleed screw must be used while filling to get the air out and coolant in the dead space in the hx.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:44 PM   #38
E. Bryant
Gearhead

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Pulling a vacuum on the top of the system will not remove the air from the top of the heat exchanger as it is a high point. The air will not travel out of the system through the upper house, it will just be stuck in top of the hx.
No, it won't get stuck. The air will be pulled out and displaced by fluid. Trust me - when the bleeder pulls enough vacuum that the hoses start to collapse, there ain't any air left in the system

Vacuum bleeding is not an uncommon service procedure for other makes, and it's typically how the cooling system is filled at the assembly plant.

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6 - JRE 650 RWHP kit, AFCO heat exchanger, JPSS V4 aero, Z28 wheels for the twisties and Weld big-n-littles for the dragstrip.
11.193@128.13 in 515' DA
E. Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:25 PM   #39
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Quote:
So I did this last night. Did about 6 times. Bleed a lot of air bubbles from the system. Still some small air pockets but nothing like the first few times....

I read the responses and you guys are right. The RD does have a bleeder on the upper left. So do I redo all this and crack the bleeder scew on RD ?

I bought a 1" inner diameter hose and it fits over the top fitting fine. The problem is when I turn on my intercooler pump it almost instantly fills the tube (24"/2 feet) and it will start running over... How did you do this and not have that issue?

I just switched to water/water wetter in my intercooler system with my rotofab reservoir and wanted to do this as a final step just to be sure it was all bled. I let the pump run for about 10 minutes with the cap off the reservoir to make sure any air bubbles were pushed out, but still wanted to do this method here.

Any ideas why mine is going to run over?
Old 08-23-2016, 07:34 AM   #40
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
I bought a 1" inner diameter hose and it fits over the top fitting fine. The problem is when I turn on my intercooler pump it almost instantly fills the tube (24"/2 feet) and it will start running over... How did you do this and not have that issue?

I just switched to water/water wetter in my intercooler system with my rotofab reservoir and wanted to do this as a final step just to be sure it was all bled. I let the pump run for about 10 minutes with the cap off the reservoir to make sure any air bubbles were pushed out, but still wanted to do this method here.

Any ideas why mine is going to run over?
I used at least 12" of tubing with an funnel.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #41
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Quote:
I used at least 12" of tubing with an funnel.
Mine is 24" with no funnel... I tried putting a funnel at the end as well and it was still filling it up.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #42
GODZL1A

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Mine is 24" with no funnel... I tried putting a funnel at the end as well and it was still filling it up.
I'm thinking it might be the water wetter from what I understand it foams up really bad maybe try the Lucas super coolant

David
GODZL1A is offline   Reply With Quote