Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
scottc
Central PA Camaro5 Club

Drives: Hot Wheels
Scat Pack Challenger

Looking at one of these in B5 blue and just looking for anyone who owns one or knows someone who owns one and wants there thoughts on the car.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:48 PM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
It's what I would get. If I wanted a fat pig.

Honestly though, you get the 6.2L? 6.4L engine, and that's what you want in the Challenger.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #3
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Looking at one of these in B5 blue and just looking for anyone who owns one or knows someone who owns one and wants there thoughts on the car.
I owned a couple of Challenger R/T models in both A5 & 6M for 5 years. I was about to leap into a Scat Pack, but when I test drove it, I realized that more straight-line power wasn't what I sought. I don't go to the track & would never use the additional horsepower that it offers.

I then test drove the Camaro SS & immediately noticed that it felt more nimble & offered a more complete driving experience. Therefore, I've been quite pleased with my decision.
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:03 AM   #4
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
I sat in a Scat Pack Challenger at a local dealer (in the showroom), then test drove an SRT8 Challenger (for sh*ts and giggles). IMHO, the SP is the biggest bang for your buck. I'm not a Mopar guy, but if I'd be in the market for one, the SP would be the car to buy. The MSRP was ~$36k (white, 6 speed, etc.). The SRT8 I test drove was ~$46k (orange, 6 speed, etc.). You're getting the 6.4L HEMI for $10k less (minus a few extras that also come with the SRT8 that you don't get with the SP). To me, Dodge made one Hell of a machine at a very handsome price! FYI: The 6.4L pulled hard and for a big car, I was surprised at how nimble it actually was.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #5
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
...FYI: The 6.4L pulled hard and for a big car, I was surprised at how nimble it actually was.
For a car that size & weight it's nimble, but not as nimble as the 5th generation Camaro & even less so than the 6th generation.
It's simply too big & heavy. I'm looking forward to the next generation model, which will be on the Giorgio‎ platform.
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #6
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
For a car that size & weight it's nimble, but not as nimble as the 5th generation Camaro & even less so than the 6th generation.
It's simply too big & heavy. I'm looking forward to the next generation model, which will be on the Giorgio‎ platform.
Correct. As nimble as others? No. Nimble for what it is? Yes.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:17 AM   #7
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
If I were to buy Mopar it would be the Scat Pack with Shaker hood. My cousin drove my Camaro, that is cammed amd feel in love with the horsepower. So he went out and bought him self a Black Challenger Scat Pack with the Shaker hood. Test drive that bad boy and I was impressed by how it handled and pulled for being a pig. I'll be honest, if I ever wreck my Camaro I would end up buying a challenger scat Pack hands down. Personally I love opening the hood up and seening that HEMI orange painted onto the heads of the engine as a factory standard.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:22 AM   #8
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
A friend of mine got a six speed scat pack a couple weeks ago, and it's a nice car. It's about identical speed-wise to a Camaro SS with 3.91 gears, and even though it's a nearly 4200 lb car, the body control is pretty good, and initial turn-in is good too. Dodge has gone back through the suspension a couple times since they brought the Challenger back, and it shows. It is about 350 lbs heavier than our cars, but it has better sight lines and 60 more hp, so it's really not as bad of an alternative as people make it out to be.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote