Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-17-2014, 02:04 AM   #1
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
Post Two quick maint Qs on the 1LE

Can't sleep - maybe too much anticipation of picking up the new ride tomorrow morning..

After a few searches, and talking to a few sales guys, I haven't found the definitive answer about oil change intervals on the SS/1LE.

1) Do they have lifespan monitors as with many newer cars these days(Chevy site says "most of their vehicles" but doesn't specify), or is it at a recommended set interval? If so, what is the interval? If it's a lifespan monitor, what are you guys averaging between changes?

2) How many miles are people realistically getting out of the stock G2 tires? I'm guessing safely less than 15,000 miles?

Thanks in advance.
DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:04 AM   #2
1LE-pilot

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
I have 14,400 miles on my tires, they should have been changed 2k ago. I have done a few autocrosses and drive in a "spirited" manner. As for the oil changes, the computer monitors driving habits, idol times, temps,...
1LE-pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #3
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Change oil every 5K for a happy LS3
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I am using the 5K interval for oil changes, and I have almost 10K on the GoodYears and I should get about 20 out of them but at that point they will be shot. I live in coastal GA and everything is flat, and except for un-ramps and off-ramps, there are not may areas to play. If I still lived in the north GA mountains, they would be gone or close to gone at this point.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
you'll be lucky to get 12k out of the tires people who claim more must never slide around corners... congratz on the new ride.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
I ignore the monitors. I check it for both level and visual cleanliness up to a max of 3500 between changes. It is also changed before it goes in to storage regardless of miles.

Tires: I got about 6800 miles out of the first set....but the centers were not worn all the way, it was the edges from tracking the car. That was 5 track day and the drag strip (countless aggressive stop light accelerations).

Matt
Old 02-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
1Slow6.2

Drives: 2013 1LE camaro
I have 13k on the G2's right now, no tracking on them, but very spirited driving, occasional runs on the street with wheel hop to accompany and ass end kicking out due to the go pedal being pushed, I'm OCD so I change oil usually around 3-3.5k. 4k at the most

Sent from the side view mirror.. While watching a ruststang fall back.. Ultimately just giving up
1Slow6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Mine are gone at less than 9K miles probably should have replaced them at 8K... PSS's getting thrown on at the end of the week.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
JambaJuiced

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE AGM
8000 miles on mine and hoping to get another 2k-3k miles out of them...I would be shocked if I were able to reach 12k on these...No Track Days just spirited street driving...

Oil change every 5000ish...so have done one so far...
JambaJuiced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #10
1LE-pilot

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
14,400 miles. Close to 15 autocross tracks, 4 days on Tail of the Dragon, highly motivated driving.
Attached Images

1LE-pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Damn! You got your money out of those... lol
Old 02-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!
Thumbs up

I just changed my rears at 12,700 miles. I kept the left rear as an emergency tire because it wasn't quite to the wear indicators. The right rear was worn to the indicators and disposed. Two autocross weekends and two winters as a daily driver. My fronts are still in decent shape. I'll probably change em late spring/early summer.

I only let my oil monitor get to 35-40%, but it hasn't ever "looked" dirty. I have a catch-can, of course. I've had two oil changes so far and will probably change it before summer.

Be safe!

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonGPF View Post
Can't sleep - maybe too much anticipation of picking up the new ride tomorrow morning..

After a few searches, and talking to a few sales guys, I haven't found the definitive answer about oil change intervals on the SS/1LE.

1) Do they have lifespan monitors as with many newer cars these days(Chevy site says "most of their vehicles" but doesn't specify), or is it at a recommended set interval? If so, what is the interval? If it's a lifespan monitor, what are you guys averaging between changes?

2) How many miles are people realistically getting out of the stock G2 tires? I'm guessing safely less than 15,000 miles?

Thanks in advance.
Oil change monitor looks at engine rpms, temps, number of startups, etc to determine oil life. GM's system is the most sophisticated in the industry, bar none. You can follow it's suggestion reliably. Therefore - your oil life will vary.

Two additional points:

1) 2014s come with a complimentary maintenance plan which means tire rotations (Not Applicable), and 4 oil changes over a 24 month period.

So....get your oil changed twice a year for the first two years - then obey the oil monitor. GM stands by it with 100,000 mile warranty...and their testing is upwards of 300,000 miles. That's good enough for me! At $90+ oil changes, I'm not ready to pour my money into the pan (if you'll take the metaphor), unless I have to.

2) If you race or "drive spiritedly" regularly. You will want to shorten the oil change interval. As well as change your differential fluid every 6 hours of performance driving.

Regarding tires - I got 13,000 miles out of mine with a hard road course session, two autocrosses and "spirited driving". At this point - I felt the tires couldn't handle a light rain safely anymore - and I changed them.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #14
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
Thanks for all the feedback. The lifespan on the tires seems to be consistent with what I figured.

As for the oil lifespan, I have a comparable system in my wife's Jeep Overland Hemi. We don't race or autocross the Jeep however, so that was a really good point several of you brought up.
DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote