Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-27-2010, 12:57 AM   #15
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Yeah. I just turned 4K miles this week. Now a lot by any measure... the bottoms of the rocker panels seem all roughed up. My 2000 SS had 60K miles when I traded it and the rocker panels s didn't feel that beat up.
I'll definitely look into the podcasts. Thanks.

I wonder if the paint issue affects certain colors more than others. What color is your car? It looks like Imperial Blue, but it's hard to tell on my computer screen.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #16
GrinderSS
Account Suspended

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Listen to his podcasts!!! They are free on his website. What a great guy to offer them for no charge because he wants to fix things and doesn't care about making a profit like some other hosts. That really impressed me.

Locally, they run his show at 10:00PM and cut out hour 3, so the podcast is my solution. It downloads at night and I listen to him first thing in the morning while I run and get ready for work. You can get previous episodes too and listen to them. He truly is (as he jokingly says when he mocks other shows for copying him) "Tomorrow's First Morning Show".

Try the podcast or the free streaming audio on his website!
Mark Levin is simply awesome!
GrinderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #17
zerox

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Bumblebee
The paint is just bad, no matter the color it's horrible. I don't use my camaro as my dd, to many fu**ing idiots in my town. I have 3450 kilometers on it and the side gills have about 6 chips each in them. No gravel driving either.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #18
USIRON

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS & 2014 Mustang GT 5.0
Bird Dookey

Quote:
I thought clay bar was more of a cleaner and didn't do anything for scratches or blemishes.
After trying the clay bar, I would go to a body shop who does classic cars and customs and see if they can buff it out without going through the clear coat. After you get this resolved, try a product called Liquid Glass Polish. They are in NJ. and on the Net just do a search. This is not a wax! It is a coating/polish/sealer that is like adding a layer of clear coat with each application. We have 6 coats so far on our Camaro, each coat just makes the shine look deeper and protects the paint more. We have had bird dung with no ill effects and we get LOVE BUGS down here that if not removed quickly can eat through the paint. Also no ill effects from them. I have used Liquid Glass since 1963 and have not found a product that gives a better shine or better paint protection. Another plus, if you drive your car in the winter, snow slides off so easy you won't believe it. (I'm from Cleve) Good luck, hope this helps you and others.
USIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:22 AM   #19
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by USIRON View Post
After trying the clay bar, I would go to a body shop who does classic cars and customs and see if they can buff it out without going through the clear coat. After you get this resolved, try a product called Liquid Glass Polish. They are in NJ. and on the Net just do a search. This is not a wax! It is a coating/polish/sealer that is like adding a layer of clear coat with each application. We have 6 coats so far on our Camaro, each coat just makes the shine look deeper and protects the paint more. We have had bird dung with no ill effects and we get LOVE BUGS down here that if not removed quickly can eat through the paint. Also no ill effects from them. I have used Liquid Glass since 1963 and have not found a product that gives a better shine or better paint protection. Another plus, if you drive your car in the winter, snow slides off so easy you won't believe it. (I'm from Cleve) Good luck, hope this helps you and others.
Thanks for the tips. We get our share of big bugs too. I don't drive the SS in winter, but I could use something like that on my winter car!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:25 AM   #20
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
keep your car waxed so that type of stuff will fall right off.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:30 AM   #21
USIRON

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS & 2014 Mustang GT 5.0
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. We get our share of big bugs too. I don't drive the SS in winter, but I could use something like that on my winter car!
Your welcome, you won't be dissapointed.
USIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #22
GLBL WMR
Booya

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
keep your car waxed so that type of stuff will fall right off.
Wrong. Bird sh*t will eat right through even the most durable wax. I have a coat of Adam's Machine Super Wax on mine, and it does little to protect from acidic bird droppings.

I've said it from day 1 - the paint on these cars is garbage. I've never seen paint etch and chip so easily. A repaint is going to be a requirement by 50,000 miles at this point.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #23
Pumpkin1LT

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Same thi g happened to my husbands black Scion. Ate right through the clear cloat. So although I do agree that the paint on the Camaros is less than desirable as far as durability, it happens to most cars when it comes to bird crap. And people think I'm nuts for keeping Meguires detail spray and a sham in my trunk...and doing a quick detail everyday!? Doenst sound so "nutty" now....

Hope you can get that fixed!

A happy wife is one in the garage getting dirty under her 2010 Camaro!
Pumpkin1LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #24
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin1LT View Post
Same thi g happened to my husbands black Scion. Ate right through the clear cloat. So although I do agree that the paint on the Camaros is less than desirable as far as durability, it happens to most cars when it comes to bird crap. And people think I'm nuts for keeping Meguires detail spray and a sham in my trunk...and doing a quick detail everyday!? Doenst sound so "nutty" now....

Hope you can get that fixed!
Thanks.

I was able to smooth it out using some Meguires swirl remover but I'm not 100% happy with it because some haze was left behind. I think the haze is just from the swirl remover and I need something a bit finer to get rid of the haze. I was hoping someone could clue me in on what to do to get rid of the leftover haze.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #25
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Captain Awesome:
I use Adam's Swirl and Haze remover for the first pass and then I follow it with Adam's Revive Polish (using their blue pad) before waxing. That will take out any remaining haze in your clear coat. I am an avid believer in the Adam's products and you won't find a company with better customer service. adamspolishes.com if you're interested.

Swirl and haze remover only takes out the fine scratches and haze. It does not put the polish back in your clear coat. You need the finer polishing power of a polish like the revive followed by a coat of wax.

If you go to this link: http://www.adamspolishes.com/c-17-ca...nd-polish.aspx
The Revive is about 1/3 of the way down the page followed by their "flip pad." You use the blue side with the revive. Or you can use the blue hex grip pad further down the page. That's what I'd do.

I learned it all from the Junkman!
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #26
SynerJersey110

Drives: 2011 2SS BLK, 2010 Synergy Camaro
I use either Griots or IBIZ products and have had success with both.
griotsgarage.com
bing search for IBIZ website.

good luck...
SynerJersey110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #27
Pumpkin1LT

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Junkman has some GREAT DIY tips..search some of his threads!

A happy wife is one in the garage getting dirty under her 2010 Camaro!
Pumpkin1LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #28
Bistem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
. I was hoping someone could clue me in on what to do to get rid of the leftover haze.
I have always had extremel good results with 3M 5990 (Imperial Hand Glaze). This is a tan liquid in a 1 quart bottle and can be had at most shops that sell to paint and body shops. I used to show cars and always had black cars. Anyone with a black car knows how easily tiny scratches shows up on them. This stuff is inexpensive and that large of a bottle will last you a very long time. You apply it just like wax, put on with quite a bit of "elbow grease", let dry to a haze, and wipe the haze off. By all means....do NOT apply this in the sun or on a hot surface. Be warned also that this product contains no wax so you will have to wax the spot (or car) after doing this. My son and I just did his '94 Mustang which is black and had set in a barn for 13 years with this stuff. It was a LOT of rubbing and we had to do the car twice but it now looks as good paint wise as my 2week old camaro. Try 3M 5990....you wont be disappointed.
Bistem is offline   Reply With Quote