Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Cyberfan

Drives: 08 Z06 Vette; 02 T/A Firehawk
Camaro to survive GM plan

Looks like the Camaro, along with the Corvette and the other Chevy brands will survive per the GM plan submitted to the government. Hummer, Saturn, Saab and maybe even Pontiac are toast. But if you think there will be a mega-horsepower Z-28 any time soon you are dreaming! This is a matter of GM surviving, man! If the General thought the Camaro (or any other car) was a money loser, it would get the axe in a New York second!

Everybody I talk to (NOT people on this forum) that has seen a picture of this car thinks GM has hit a home run on this one. May not put the Mustang out of business, but I think this inexpensive car will help the General recover!

Cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Yeah but the high performance vehicles division is toast. So guess how many exciting vehicles GM will have in the future. Zip. None. Nothing. The Camaro could very well be my last GM car.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Yeah but the high performance vehicles division is toast. So guess how many exciting vehicles GM will have in the future. Zip. None. Nothing. The Camaro could very well be my last GM car.

SVT disbanded years ago. Look at what FORD has without SVT. This is probably more just to look good for Uncle Sam.
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
Cyberfan

Quote:
Of course, these days GM doesn't care about how high performance it is- it just wants to survive. The high performance stuff has never been the major money maker for any car maker west of Italy. Not music to the ears of people on this forum I know.

We may be in for a repeat of the 70's, when everything started being detuned after 1971- the good muscle cars were 71's and older! So get your 71 Hemicuda or 71 LS6 Corvette while you can! (SS Camaro!)

But eventually it came back!
Old 02-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
Rob53

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS VR Camaro convertible
Last GM muscle car?

........All the more reason to buy the Camaro and hold on to it! If the auto industry is going in the direction that it is headed, "green" and cookie cutter models with no style, than our Camaros will probably be the last of the Mohicans! How cool will it be to own the last, and best generation of Camaro? I see a future where buying a V8 will incur a very, very costly tax, like the current gas guzzler tax, but much more severe. It will virtually kill the average Joe buying a V8 automobile. V8 engines will probably one day only be available to the very rich, and to those using them for business purposes, in trucks, like farmers/ranchers etc. Life in these here United States is over as we once knew and loved it folks. The "green" people are in charge now. Just look at California that wants to raise our taxes to unheard of levels, double vehicle registration fees just to balance the budget. When all California has to do is drill for oil off shore and it has access to billions of dollars of crude oil!!!!!! The government won't even consider it, they would rather tax the people than drill for oil! Revolution is coming, sooner or later we have to get rid of these clowns!
Rob53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Not toast! Put on hold. When and if the economy turns around, every thing changes!
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #7
Cyberfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob53 View Post
........All the more reason to buy the Camaro and hold on to it! If the auto industry is going in the direction that it is headed, "green" and cookie cutter models with no style, than our Camaros will probably be the last of the Mohicans! How cool will it be to own the last, and best generation of Camaro? I see a future where buying a V8 will incur a very, very costly tax, like the current gas guzzler tax, but much more severe. It will virtually kill the average Joe buying a V8 automobile. V8 engines will probably one day only be available to the very rich, and to those using them for business purposes, in trucks, like farmers/ranchers etc. Life in these here United States is over as we once knew and loved it folks. The "green" people are in charge now. Just look at California that wants to raise our taxes to unheard of levels, double vehicle registration fees just to balance the budget. When all California has to do is drill for oil off shore and it has access to billions of dollars of crude oil!!!!!! The government won't even consider it, they would rather tax the people than drill for oil! Revolution is coming, sooner or later we have to get rid of these clowns!
That's kind of how I think cars of the 1980's were. Even the Corvettes were slow and kind of stupid!

In a perfect world..... there are electric cars and efficient hybrids that get a zillion miles to the gallon and the Persian Gulf countries have to go back to fishing and pearl diving. BUT there are still performance cars and the auto makers balance the gas guzzlers and the electrics to get a happy medium and pass the CAFE standards. America can supply its own oil needs without imports (look at Brazil!).

Wishful thinking? Yeah, probably.

Maybe my 02 Firebird will be a collector car.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
Everybody acts like there will never be another high performance GM. These hard times will eventually pass and GM will be in the black again with the G paid off. It may take 5 years or more but there will be future performance, not right away but down the road. It's not the end of the world by any means. The current SS can survive for 5 years with minor tweaks before it needs a major boost.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:47 PM   #9
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
This is only the time during the GM turmoil. Once GM gets back on its feet and becomes more successful than it ever did (hopefully) they'll bring the big V8 guns and special racing development stuff back on the table. Just be thankful the Camaro nameplate is coming back.
fad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #10
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberfan View Post
We may be in for a repeat of the 70's, when everything started being detuned after 1971- the good muscle cars were 71's and older! So get your 71 Hemicuda or 71 LS6 Corvette while you can! (SS Camaro!)

But eventually it came back!
Yup. My friend owned a '74 Malibu, and when I got my '70 Cutlass he went on about how the 70s era models were dogs, how his was slow, and so on. Apparently he didn't know the detuning affected '72 and later models. I consider 1970 the pinnacle of the GM A body, but the '69 was good too.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:35 AM   #11
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Ya some green guys will pass a law where you cannot sell your used V8. Hand it down to family or crush it.
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:44 AM   #12
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Right but we need to find some way to
Warm this planet back up. This cooling is starting to scare me.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:23 AM   #13
albino

Drives: Crossfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberfan View Post
Looks like the Camaro, along with the Corvette and the other Chevy brands will survive per the GM plan submitted to the government. Hummer, Saturn, Saab and maybe even Pontiac are toast. But if you think there will be a mega-horsepower Z-28 any time soon you are dreaming! This is a matter of GM surviving, man! If the General thought the Camaro (or any other car) was a money loser, it would get the axe in a New York second!
Hi there, nice material.
Where do you have those Infos from?

In Germany we just get Infos about Opel

Cheers
albino from Germany
Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #14
jmcbeth
THR 2SS/RS Supercharged

Drives: 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
GM is doing what it needs to do to survive. I applaud them. In my view, the more "green" vehicles sold, the more gasoline for us, who represent a very, very small part of the market.
jmcbeth is offline   Reply With Quote