Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #43
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I'm late to this party but you took tons of photos...right?
Old 04-12-2015, 03:05 PM   #44
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
I just pulled my motor while replacing a lifter. Getting it out is not hard once the heads are off. I used the following $35 part from Summit (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1021/). It made angling it perfectly to mate back up a piece of cake. I used 4 valley plate bolts to hold it with washers underneath and one top (if you do this - make sure the washers do not fall in once you undo them). Not sure how much those valley plate bolts can hold, so I pulled it out and put it back without the heads on. Putting it back in without the motor mounts on is how I did it in order to make mating it up easy and then I just bolted the motor mounts back on before letting the weight sit back down. I painted my oil pan red/orange (and some stickers) before putting back on and a few other items - it was fun (one pic below). I never unhooked the a/c in a way to compromise it - I just pushed it to the side enough - there is no need to completely unhook and evacuate it if you dont mind working around a few lines.
Attached Images

Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #45
blue-bayou

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS/Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
the rods would have to be resized wouldnt they?
With regard to replacing rod bolts? If so then no, but it doesn't matter. Stock rods cannot be resized. The split crack cap style prevents stock LS3 (et.al) rods from being successfully resized; unless some new technology has recently become available I'm unaware of. Look at the picture. They should be able to be replaced without doing anything other than removing the stock bolts and replacing with new. These rods came out of a stock motor, all evidence indicates that a rod bolt initiated the event. But I also believe my problem was an isolated event and not indicative of ls rods in general. If replacing them is easy and you've got the motor out; it's basically cheap insurance; otherwise don't worry about it.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #46
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I've never really thought about just replacing the rod bolts on an assembled motor like that before reading this thread. I figured there was resizing needed too. I knew about the issue resizing the cracked rods we have.

What's a set of ARP rod bolts run? $100? If the motor is out that's cheap insurance IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2015, 10:39 PM   #47
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
a $100 here a $100 there. I think im up to 2k just replacing a going bad cam.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:48 PM   #48
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
so are you sure you can reuse the rods if they cant be resized? I have found that disassembling a perfectly good rotating assembly leads to a short life. I havent worked on a LS motor befor.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #49
blue-bayou

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS/Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
a $100 here a $100 there. I think im up to 2k just replacing a going bad cam.

That's the problem with working on cars, the costs add up quickly. You know what, there is entirely too much noise and I apologize for contributing. Stick to the basics and get what you need; try to ignore the rest. Always best to change one thing at a time anyway to know what made a difference.

Also, just because a rod is used doesn't mean it has to be resized; only if it's out of spec. If an LS rod is out of spec it can only be replaced. Replacing rod bolts without engine disassembly, I think, would be ideal. Less chance of mistake putting it back together.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:33 AM   #50
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Oh I know I've fallen into that same trap. A $500 project turns into $5000.

I'm really just asking because I have similar plans I'm preparing for. That is a good upgrade if you are in there already. I plan to do the improved racing baffle and scraper too, even before I read this thread.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk