Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
nitto85
Caffeine Injected

Drives: 13 Ram - 05 Widebody 1050rwhp Vette
Reverse - Then Engine Shuts Off

In the past couple months (2 times last week alone) my camaro has died on me after going in reverse.

Reverse, brake to stop, engine dies. Anyone have any ideas why?

A few suggestions I've received from my dad and a fellow mechanic he works with.

Engine might idle too low - About 450rpm - 550rpm is too low?
Throttle Body May Be Dirty
Car needs a tune up - I only have 10k miles on the car

I should say those suggestions were made without them actually looking at the car.

Anyone else have some suggestions? The occasional lifter tapping is bad enough, it doesn't look any better for me the engine to die, both are a little embarrassing.

I took it to the dealership last week for the lifters, but they didn't tap whiled they had the car overnight so they gave it back without doing anything. The mechanic that looked at the car did suggest that I get it dyno tuned though.
nitto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
cdn2usa

Drives: 2010 2SS
Watch it, dyno tune will affect your warranty.
The L99 has known lifter noise, normal, sorry.
It's not normal that the engine quits in reverse, take it back.
Hurst Shifter,CAI,Vmax throttle body, Kooks LT Headers, High Flow Cats,Borla Touring Axle Back, ADM Scoop, Washwater relocation,Diablo Predator(c/w Ted's Magic), Custom start defeat switch, painted engine cover, shark fin & bow ties, ABL lighting, Rear Camera.
cdn2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
nitto85
Caffeine Injected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn2usa View Post
Watch it, dyno tune will affect your warranty.
The L99 has known lifter noise, normal, sorry.
It's not normal that the engine quits in reverse, take it back.
Warranty long gone, I'm HPE supercharged.

The lifter noise is not normal, there is a TSB about this, and several threads. The dealership would have, and will replace them if they tap while they have the car. They just so happened to not tap when they kept the car overnight.

They don't tap every day, the dealership suggested that I wait for colder weather since that will make they more likely to tap. I have been in contact with Jeff Morris our Chevrolet Customer Service Rep here on the boards, and Chevrolet Customer Service on the phone, its just a waiting game at this point.

And it doesnt shut off every time I reverse, just a few times in the past few months, so I'm trying to figure out why.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
Alw724

Drives: 2011 black 1lt
I don't know how true this is but the same thing happened to me. I just got my camaro on Tuesday and it happened 3 times, I was freaking out. I called the dealer and he asked if I had any other keys on the key ring, which I did, and he told me to take them off because it could interfer with the comp. Like I said I don't know if it's the real problem but it hasn't happened since I took the other keys off.
Alw724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
nitto85
Caffeine Injected

I only have one key, so I know that is not my problem lol.

Long story short, I went out of town and traded 1 5th gen for 1 that was HPE Supercharged, the dealer said they would mail me the other key in about a week, that was over 3 months ago.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alw724 View Post
I don't know how true this is but the same thing happened to me. I just got my camaro on Tuesday and it happened 3 times, I was freaking out. I called the dealer and he asked if I had any other keys on the key ring, which I did, and he told me to take them off because it could interfer with the comp. Like I said I don't know if it's the real problem but it hasn't happened since I took the other keys off.
the dealer BS'd u good there.

OP, bet your idle is just way too low. 450 is low and if probably even dips lower at times.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
PCOLASHAN

Drives: 2SS
This happened to me today, twice!!! Mine is a auto with stock tune. Any new info on why this is happening??
PCOLASHAN is offline   Reply With Quote