Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #351
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rich dude View Post
I didn't see it?? Did you post in this thread?
Yeah, go back a couple of pages.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #352
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Ok I've had some inquiries as to how I mounted the Braille battery in the trunk so here are some pics to show more detail. I purchased some 1.5" thick Insulfoam 84Z2 from Home Depot (or Lowe's carries it too I think) and cut a piece to put under the battery to lift it up high enough so the stock retaining plate could be used. I cut another piece which I notched in the middle to fit the battery so it would hold it in place and put that on top of the battery, sandwiching it in so when I put the retaining plate on top, it would press down the foam and secure the battery. The battery is secure; it doesn't move.

This arrangement allows you to use all the stock mounting plates and holders for the trunk.

Here's a few pics to show how it looks.

This view is looking down from the top from the back of the car.
Name:  IMG_1046.JPG
Views: 2378
Size:  216.1 KB

This is from the passenger side at an angle.
Name:  IMG_1047.JPG
Views: 2296
Size:  207.7 KB

This is a side view from the passenger side and you can clearly see the cutout in the top piece of foam that holds the battery in position so it doesn't scoot forward or backward.
Name:  IMG_1048.JPG
Views: 1706
Size:  205.0 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 07-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #353
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
Doc the car looks awesome. i have the same SLP splitter and ZL1 skirts I need to get put on as well
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #354
Vette TPI

Drives: 1987 Corvette TPI
This car has such a beautiful race car look to it!
Old 07-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #355
immaculate chaos
Chasing the horizon

Drives: 2013 Freightliner
Doc you have a wicked ride there! I must admit your build is my biggest inspiration for my Camaro...one question, Iv'e read and re-read your entire build several times now and don't know if I might of overlooked it. What are your offsets? (19x9.5 +xx) If I had to guess I'd say mid to high 20's. Anyways, I can't wait to see what you upgrade/reduce next. If I could make a suggestion though, rear seat delete.
immaculate chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #356
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by immaculate chaos View Post
Doc you have a wicked ride there! I must admit your build is my biggest inspiration for my Camaro...one question, Iv'e read and re-read your entire build several times now and don't know if I might of overlooked it. What are your offsets? (19x9.5 +xx) If I had to guess I'd say mid to high 20's. Anyways, I can't wait to see what you upgrade/reduce next. If I could make a suggestion though, rear seat delete.
Thank you for the compliments! Good guess; the offset is 28.

I thought about the rear seats but it doesn't eliminate that much weight and it's in the back of the car which I really don't want to remove any more weight from. I'm thinking of possibly a driver's seat upgrade and a 5-point harness but haven't decided for sure yet.

Soon as I get any more upgrades you'll see it here.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #357
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Well since it seems no matter what you do you're never really quite done with upgrades and mods....ahem....today the UPS guy delivered this:
Name:  IMG_1060.JPG
Views: 1500
Size:  190.8 KB

It's a Fluidampr which is an SFI rated harmonic balancer/damper to protect and improve my engine's performance.

It weighs 15.838 lbs which is probably heavier than the stock balancer. I'll weigh the stock one once it's off to see what the difference is but the benefits will outweigh the few extra pounds the Fluidampr adds.

www.fluidampr.com

The UPS guy also dropped off this:
Name:  IMG_1061.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  246.6 KB

These will allow me to remove the two factory coil mounting plates which weigh 1.31 lbs each (the coils mount directly on these covers) and clean up the coil area on the engine. The new valve covers together weigh 6.188 lbs; I'll weigh the factory covers once they're off.
Name:  IMG_1062.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  178.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1063.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  193.2 KB

I also have Jannetty's air scoop and washer bottle relocation kit on the way. Once all this new stuff is installed and I get Ted to finesse the tune I'll probably get another dyno run. I had 468 rwhp before Ted tuned it (Ted's tune feels stronger) and with these new additions hopefully I'll be around 480 rwhp.

I'll get it weighed again at the truck stop but I'm guessing it'll be around 3,690 lbs so if that's the weight divided by 480 rwhp that would give me a power to weight ratio of 7.68 which is pretty good.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #358
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
It's a Fluidampr which is an SFI rated harmonic balancer/damper to protect and improve my engine's performance.

It weighs 15.838 lbs which is probably heavier than the stock balancer. I'll weigh the stock one once it's off to see what the difference is but the benefits will outweigh the few extra pounds the Fluidampr adds.

www.fluidampr.com
We have the same crank pulleys as GM trucks. I did a comparison when I swapped out pulleys on my Escalade.
http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...pare-o-437187/

Since the ASP pulley is crazy light that is what I went with on Ginger, just like The Beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
So i ordered a Powerbond pulley for my truck because no one had an ASP in stock. I then found an ASP for a good price so i ordered it. Took pics of all three pulleys and weighed them.

Weight of pulleys advantage ASP.
ASP 7.8 lbs
Stock 10.6 lbs
Powerbond 12.2 lbs

Quality of pullies advantage Powerbond.
Stock is a cast two piece that is pretty good quality. the power bond seriously looks like it should cost twice as much as the ASP. It just looks far better from a quality stand point. Also the Powerbond has very high lips so the belt will not get thrown like some have experienced on an ASP pulley. It also has a notch for a key and some cool timing marks on it like old school pulleys BUT you have to have an aftermarket crank or have your stock crank keyed for this to be of any use. The ASP also has a light weight aluminum center section which makes it lighter but if you remove and install your pulley A LOT of times, the aluminum could wear out over time and not be as tight on the crank as when it was new.

Ease of install avantage ASP.
To install an asp pulley you just put it on and tighten the crank bolt. The Powerbond, like the stock pulley, needs a longer bolt to first get the pulley on the crank or i use the head of an old crank bolt and an air hammer to get it on about a 1/2" or so before threading the crank bolt.

Conclusion, it's a toss up on these pulleys. so whichever one you find for cheaper is the one i would go with.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #359
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
We have the same crank pulleys as GM trucks. I did a comparison when I swapped out pulleys on my Escalade.
http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...pare-o-437187/

Since the ASP pulley is crazy light that is what I went with on Ginger, just like The Beast.
I hear ya; if anyone's all for lighter weight it's me but in this particular case lighter isn't necessarily better. This is from Fluidampr's website:

"In addition, because a harmonic balancer often incorporates the drive pulley, it is often overlooked as having no essential function to the life of the engine. If the drive pulley is incorporated with the harmonic balancer, removing or changing it to a lightweight design, or using a low quality product MAY BE THE SINGLE BIGGEST COSTLY MISTAKE YOU CAN DO TO YOUR ENGINE."

I suggest you read their website and all the info there on what their product does and the benefits.

http://www.fluidampr.com/what/

You might change your mind like I did. Since we've modified our engines and power output, getting a better harmonic balancer will not only improve engine life but should (in the case of their unique product) give better performance by eliminating power-robbing vibrations. It's essentially the same reason why a 1-piece driveshaft gained 8 hp compared to the less-efficient 2-piece factory shaft.

Most other balancers I looked at were more rpm-range specific so when I ran across theirs in my research I liked two things: 1; theirs works across the entire rpm band, and 2; it has a 100% life-time guarantee. They've been doing this since 1946 so their guarantee means something.

I'll let you know what my driving impressions are and what the dyno says after I get it installed.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #360
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I hear ya; if anyone's all for lighter weight it's me but in this particular case lighter isn't necessarily better. This is from Fluidampr's website:

"In addition, because a harmonic balancer often incorporates the drive pulley, it is often overlooked as having no essential function to the life of the engine. If the drive pulley is incorporated with the harmonic balancer, removing or changing it to a lightweight design, or using a low quality product MAY BE THE SINGLE BIGGEST COSTLY MISTAKE YOU CAN DO TO YOUR ENGINE."

I suggest you read their website and all the info there on what their product does and the benefits.

http://www.fluidampr.com/what/

You might change your mind like I did. Since we've modified our engines and power output, getting a better harmonic balancer will not only improve engine life but should (in the case of their unique product) give better performance by eliminating power-robbing vibrations. It's essentially the same reason why a 1-piece driveshaft gained 8 hp compared to the less-efficient 2-piece factory shaft.

Most other balancers I looked at were more rpm-range specific so when I ran across theirs in my research I liked two things: 1; theirs works across the entire rpm band, and 2; it has a 100% life-time guarantee. They've been doing this since 1946 so their guarantee means something.

I'll let you know what my driving impressions are and what the dyno says after I get it installed.
I understand how harmonic balancers work, but I always considered them for high HP/high RPM motors. I would love to see a dyno comparison between the Fluidampr and my ASP under drive pulley, it would be pretty interesting.

Want to do a comparo? I could send you mine so you could do a couple runs, swap then a couple more runs.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #361
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Where do you usually go to get your car weighed?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #362
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
I understand how harmonic balancers work, but I always considered them for high HP/high RPM motors. I would love to see a dyno comparison between the Fluidampr and my ASP under drive pulley, it would be pretty interesting.

Want to do a comparo? I could send you mine so you could do a couple runs, swap then a couple more runs.
These really aren't harmonic balancers, they're harmonic dampeners. They aren't intended to balance the crankshaft but to dampen torsional vibrations to take the shock and load off the crankshaft, bearings, rod bearings, etc.

You'd have to run a comparison between an under drive Fluidampr and the ASP under drive to get an accurate rating of the difference, if any. I didn't get the under drive, I got the one with the standard size pulley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
Where do you usually go to get your car weighed?
I take my car to a local truck scale where they weigh big rigs.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #363
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Got the Holley valve cover installed on the driver's side. Definitely cleans up the area with a much neater placement of the coils.

The Holley:
Name:  IMG_1065.JPG
Views: 1535
Size:  290.2 KB

The stock valve cover and coil mounting plate:
Name:  IMG_1031.JPG
Views: 1498
Size:  247.9 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #364