Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #29
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Just keep in mind that your "agent" isn't the one who will make the decision on if the claim is paid or not.

I am not saying your aren't covered though, just a heads up to make sure you have read your policy and understand exactly what it lists.

This isn't any different than some dealers telling you that your warranty is still good after major modifications to your engine and/or drive train.
The dealer isn't the one who makes that decision (unless of course he will be the one paying for the claim).

While I will agree with you to a point, I have had the same agent for 25+ years and Gary has gone to bat for me on more than one occasion with State Farm over coverages, claims, and other things..

He takes his job as an agent beyond just selling me stuff.

I know what my policy says and what it covers, long story but at one point I did have a fight over custom paint coverage, State Farm didn't want to repaint my entire vehicle even though several shops including their own recommended shops stated there was no way to blend it to match the whole car needed a repaint, and I was paying for a custom paint rider.

I talked to an attorney, and Gary and State Farms Claims agent and I went over every line word for word to be sure all parties were on the same page.

and yes by the end of it, State Farm repainted the entire car at the shop of my choice...
Old 10-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #30
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
I have Liberty Mutual and it cost me $68 a year for an extra $5000 coverage with $250 deductible for my mods.
Great info rolling in here. I guess this is something worth discussing when shopping for insurance. Varies state by state and company by company, but the good news is it looks like the coverage is available at most for free up to limits or for additional fees that are not too crazy high.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #31
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Progressive told me my policy covers "custom parts and equipment" but only up to $1000. I can add an additional $5K of coverage for about $120 extra per year. They also said they can go beyond $5K, for even higher rates, of course.

As it stands now, I just have the standard auto policy that includes $1K of mod coverage. If the car ever gets totaled, I'm probably hosed, as far as my mods go. Decisions, decisions.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #32
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Ameriprise (formerly amex) insures mods up to 5k with no added premium. They do charge extra for above 5k and or performance mods but, are reasonable. All my mod categories are listed on the policy.

Last i knew. They do not accept anyone under 25 or with poor records. Hands down they have always been the cheapest for me and their claim service is excellent. I have had them now for 11 years with 1 major claim that was handled within 72hrs at my choice of shop.

I have my car with 7k in mods insured along with my Traverse. Very low deductibles ranging from $0-$250 extra medical insurance and $300k coverage (really needed with the abundance of exotics on the road here) with rental and towing and a stacked policy as well for about $2,200 yr.

This is in an area with the highest rate of insurance fraud in the country and heavily populated.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #33
william2813

Drives: camaro
insurance is typical issue. You can take support with the help of these types of forums but it is better to contact any consultant or insurance company directly.
william2813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #34
93B4C

Drives: 2013 1SS Panther 1993 B4C
As already mentioned, lots of variables. A sure fire way to make sure EVERYTHING is properly covered no matter the company or state is to have an appraiser (either through the insurance company or a reputable appraisal company) come out and physically inspect the vehicle and whatever modifications were made. It may be a few bucks out of your pocket, but money well spent if something happens down the road.
93B4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #35
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
If your Camaro isnt a daily, you can get Hagerty. I have Hagerty with a declared value of $40k @ $1194/yr. All they asked me for was pics.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #36
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
My regular ins. on Camaro was $720 a year.I have a 92 SS 454 pick-up have 60,000 in it appraised at $48,000. Sent list to the same company w/pics. & receipts of all mods done on my 2011 1SS/RS. Paid $35,350 for car put $17,200 in mods no blower. They put a value appraisel of $47,000 on it. Allowed 7,500 miles a year not driven in winter. Has to be put in garage every night on home premises garage door locked. If you put it on drag strip or race track as soon as you do & something happens to it Ins. will not pay anything on vehicle. I can't tell you what amount of coverages I have but pay $493.50 a year for Camaro. Ins thru American Collector's Ins. Inc.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #37
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Wait wait wait. Some insurance company refused to insure a street-legal, DOT approved automobile?
Old 10-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #38
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
spike III build

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Wait wait wait. Some insurance company refused to insure a street-legal, DOT approved automobile?
Where did you get that idea from. I hope not my post.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #39
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
Where did you get that idea from. I hope not my post.

No not you, but on the first page:

"I called GEICO and they wouldn't cover my camaros at all because they were modded to add HP. Im not sure if they would for just cosmetics. I just talked to them about a month ago. If I did have their insurance and was in an accident, they made it sound as if they found out it was modded they wouldn't cover any of the accident.
They did have great rates for the Daily drivers though.

I have farmers and they'll cover with receipts."
Old 10-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #40
Who Dat 2SS

Drives: Bitches Crazy
Quote:
No not you, but on the first page:

"I called GEICO and they wouldn't cover my camaros at all because they were modded to add HP. Im not sure if they would for just cosmetics. I just talked to them about a month ago. If I did have their insurance and was in an accident, they made it sound as if they found out it was modded they wouldn't cover any of the accident.
They did have great rates for the Daily drivers though.

I have farmers and they'll cover with receipts."
Cover power adders?

2011 2SS Convertible Black on Black on Black, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger, LS3 Conversion, LS9 Cam, Kooks Ceramic Coated Headers, LS3 Exhaust, Roto-Fab CAI, BMR Sway Bars and Bushings, JDP Color Changing Halos with Synced Grill Lighting, Custom Magnetic Removable Front Plate
*** RECORD HOLDER - FASTEST 3 WHEELED, 7 CYLINDER CAMARO LAP TIME AT MSR ***
Who Dat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #41
Aqua_Blue_SS

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:

That what they said. Then called back and asked another person and got the same answer. I asked if they didn't know about it and and i was in an accident would they cover just the price of the car and said no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat 2SS View Post
Cover power adders?
That's what she said, but I didn't go into detail. So I'm not positive. I'm going to call other places because of this thread. Just gotta get some time.
Aqua_Blue_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #42
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I have amica and $8000 in coverage cost me $85 a year - they must have asked three times if I race my car though
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote