Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #71
BOOSTT

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS "Hot Wheels"
I just replaced it all for a decent price if you do it yourself. The labor is costly. About 3 half-days for me, being as careful as I can be as the plastic is easily gashed by anything. I added the Pioneer 8200 NEX with apple car play and Android Auto $900. Infinity components in front $200. Decent polks in back 6X9's $120, I had amps, but use 3. That is pricey, but worth the sound. About $800, but the 6X9's can run on deck power. 2 12's in a custom box. Infinity reference are best for the buck IMHO $300. Dash kit. Metra ONLY!!! $250. Wire kits= $300......Well, that does add up, but it sounds fantastic. No factory wire cut. No special wires except antenna adapter and camera harness, USB cables.. I think of it as something that I'll always keep for my next car. All the factory garbage will go back when I sell this, so It's not a total loss if I sell the car. You don't need the high-end Deck as Pioneer has a 7" screen deck 4000 series? Android auto or Apple car play has the GPS running from your phone to the deck screen and all voice controlled. Save about $400 if you go that way on the deck and no need for GPS built in on the deck.
BOOSTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #72
alrock

Drives: 2015 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS
I also agree that I can't really blame the OP for the way he feels about the situation, but I can't agree to what he expects to happen next. Many of you have covered good points that the payments are not warranty, etc.

I don't have the same expectation of quality from American cars that I do from Japanese cars. But I can't get a Japanese Camaro, can I? If I'm lucky enough to have a great quality Chevy, that's a bonus for me. I was fine trading off for what could be perceived as lower build quality from Chevy vs. what I might get from Infiniti that I traded in, but the Infiniti did not have the soul that the Chevy has.

We make these choices all of the time of quality vs. features, unless we're someone that can afford both like with a $250,000 Bentley or other fantasy machine of your choice. Heck, we do it with ketchup (Heinz vs. store brand), clothing, TVs, etc. Why would anyone expect a $35,000 Chevy to have the same build quality as a $70,000 luxury vehicle?

And have you looked for root causes of the failure, like a possible bad ground or short in the vehicle or other wiring issues?

Yeah, two of the same issues sucks and go ahead and move on from Chevy, if that's your thing.
alrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #73
Ccl412

Drives: Black 2015 LT
Being realistic with all the electronics on these cars I bought the 72 month. Warranty so my warranty will out last my last payment

It was 1,300 dollars well spent for the confidence it gives me
Ccl412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:51 PM   #74
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
I can't say as I really blame the O.P. for the way he feels. Two cars, both with the same issues, I probably wouldn't want to risk it on a third either. However, realistically, the consumer demand for "connectivity" in their cars, means that regardless of the brand, it's highly likely he'll run across issues again.

The electronics in todays cars is absolutely ridiculous. Everyone wants their car to rolling offices and entertainment centers, that automatically recognize you, your phone, and knows what you want to listen to, who you want to call, all the while telling you where you're going, and what's ahead, behind, and beside you at all times. Then throw in the probability that the software running all these programs will be obsolete in about a year and half, it's going to get to point that by the time the warranty is up, they won't be able to fix it, regardless of who's paying, because the interfaces aren't compatible anymore.

Man, just give me a nice engine, three pedals, and nice manual transmission, a tach, and speedometer so I can accurately answer the officer when he asks, "Do you know how fast you were going?"
I would trade the tach for a fuel gauge.

I wish they still offered crank windows and would put lock cylinders in the trunk and passenger door.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #75
Taigas

Drives: 2014 Camaro LT RS
What have I done with my car are what people are asking. I turn it on, turn it off, drive it to work, and leave it completely stock both times. So go ahead and tell me where in those actions I caused the radio to brake.

I will say this, the original posts were flawed I made them out of emotion and it reflected as such. And i do apologize for that. Though I am still shocked at how many people seem okay with the fact that a radio on a car less than 2 years old, has broken down as if it is perfectly acceptable .

Honestly I love the reactions that insinuate I somehow caused this with some modification when all i have done is drive it, and leave it stock. I am, honestly surprised at how many think it is "entitlement" for me to expect for something I purchased to be fully functional in under 2 years of use. After my emotions calmed all I really wanted was just something hell even an apology from Chevrolet would have sufficed.

Personally, I don't believe it is entitlement. It is an expectation for the company to stand behind their product, and not hide behind that warranty.

I will explain why I have to responded till now due those with less character and have attacked me. I work. I don't have free time to check this forum daily.
Taigas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #76
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Can you explain how your car is a 2014 but only 1-1/2 years old? Or is the 2014 your first one? If the car is 1-1/2 years old, it is still under bumper to bumper warranty. Tell them to fix it or you sue them in small claims court.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #77
Cenafan85

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taigas View Post
What have I done with my car are what people are asking. I turn it on, turn it off, drive it to work, and leave it completely stock both times. So go ahead and tell me where in those actions I caused the radio to brake.

I will say this, the original posts were flawed I made them out of emotion and it reflected as such. And i do apologize for that. Though I am still shocked at how many people seem okay with the fact that a radio on a car less than 2 years old, has broken down as if it is perfectly acceptable .

Honestly I love the reactions that insinuate I somehow caused this with some modification when all i have done is drive it, and leave it stock. I am, honestly surprised at how many think it is "entitlement" for me to expect for something I purchased to be fully functional in under 2 years of use. After my emotions calmed all I really wanted was just something hell even an apology from Chevrolet would have sufficed.

Personally, I don't believe it is entitlement. It is an expectation for the company to stand behind their product, and not hide behind that warranty.

I will explain why I have to responded till now due those with less character and have attacked me. I work. I don't have free time to check this forum daily.
Pretty sure every company does this, with an exception of a few. They have a warranty for a reason.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #78
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
In your original post, or one of them, you mentioned that they offered to cover part of the cost. I would take them up on that and go from there.

One of the biggest issues with electronic infotainment systems is that they are made by outside suppliers. These suppliers often make the same/similar parts for multiple auto manufacturers, so this isn't just a GM problem.

I will say, that given what these modern components are connected to in the car. The fact that if the face unit on the MyLink goes out, you can't use the radio, connect to the phone, or have access to many of the other basic things involved with driving the car, that auto manufacturer's should reassess how they write their warranties on these components, rather than just lump them into the bumper to bumper. Especially considering the sensitive nature of electronic components vs. the harsh environment in which they live, hot, cold, jarring from rough roads etc.

As far as the comparison between the Japanese cars and American cars, realize that many of these components in the American cars are designed and built by Japanese companies. Furthermore, that old generalization comes from the late 70's and 80's. The game has changed a lot since then and reliability and quality differences have greatly diminished in some areas and even swung the other way in others.

To the OP, you can say goodbye to Chevrolet, and GM as a whole, and I get that, you're upset. However, bear in mind that regardless of the brand you go to, many of the systems in that car will be made by the same supplier that GM uses. Choosing your next vehicle really comes down to aesthetic appeal and personal functionality. Although, when it comes to powertrain and drivetrain, the things that actually get you from point a to point b, GM is very near, if not at the top.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #79
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
Can you explain how your car is a 2014 but only 1-1/2 years old? Or is the 2014 your first one? If the car is 1-1/2 years old, it is still under bumper to bumper warranty. Tell them to fix it or you sue them in small claims court.
Not when it has 45K miles on it. B2B warranty is only good to 36K miles, it's 3 years or 36K miles which ever comes first.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #80
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Not when it has 45K miles on it. B2B warranty is only good to 36K miles, it's 3 years or 36K miles which ever comes first.
Ah, didn't see that posted - thanks - yes, it that case, out of luck. Not good for the Chevy brand but that's life sometimes.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:48 PM   #81
siniSSter

Drives: 2014 2ss
It's happening in a lot of chevy models. Just happened to my wife's 16 tahoe 3 days ago. After some research it seems to be a glitchy product. On another note ford is having the same for less from their infotainment interface as well.
siniSSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:45 PM   #82
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
After reading all the pages, the op states were blaming him. Find that funny because all were stating is the car is out of warranty and need to get the radio replaced on your own dime. And your payment is paying a lender back for the loan, it has no entitlement on the car itself and the parts in it. And still this story has a lot of gaps, meaning when was it bought, how many miles upon purchase, etc. Let the blame war continue.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:37 AM   #83
IkoIko
IkoIko

Drives: '12 2SS 6MT Victory Red
Send a message via AIM to IkoIko
Anger and frustration aside you have to ask yourself what is more expensive "a new mylink system which you said the dealer would pay part of or another car"? Any time a dealership is willing to pick up part of the cost, take them up on it because they don't have to do it on a non-warranty component. No need to be upset, at least you have options. Choose wisely
IkoIko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #84
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
God just hates you that's all..... buy a Schoschle or something, about bad luck...you think you have it with the head unit ok... so what consider every Ford owner dealing with the POS that is their system....100000000000000 % worse than your singular problem.... SO consider yourself lucky

Mylink still better than... five pages of problems......with FORD SYNC STINK...

https://www.bing.com/search?q=ford+e...A7aiE9vh7OsruG