Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #1
Gavros 4 Life

Drives: 2SS/RS Summit White Black Stripes
Took calipers off to get powder coated...do I need to bleed my brakes?

Just like title says took the calipers off my car to get powder coated but taped off the lines so brake fluid won't leak do I still need to bleed the entire system or can I just add a little bit when I put the calipers back on?
Gavros 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
ratfinkharley

Drives: 15 JKU, 00 S10, 73 Vette, 12 JK
You need to bleed the system. Not only could air have gotten into the lines, but the calipers themselves will have been drained.

RotoFab CAI - VMaxx Ported TB - Apex Catch Can - CFD Shifter - Choppers Inc Loaded Dice Shift Knob
ratfinkharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
Gavros 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfinkharley View Post
You need to bleed the system. Not only could air have gotten into the lines, but the calipers themselves will have been drained.
Car is on jack stands as we speak....is there anyway I can do it one at a time ? Because all the ends are open so when I press the brake won't the fluid just come out from all 4 lines?

All I have to do is press the brake until there is no more fluid right?
Old 04-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
this scares me, you need to bleed them in order to get the air out once the calipers are back on, you should get new crush washers too. you have 2 bleeders per caliper and they need to be done in order for safety. Get help if you at all not sure...
Old 04-27-2014, 11:10 PM   #5
Bowtie-Bri

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Convt.
I did the same thing this past fall, after I installed my freshly powder coated calipers, I took empty water bottles and some clear vinyl hose and used 2 per caliper. I drilled a hole in the bottle caps and inserted the hose and attached the other end to each bleeder. Filled the brake reservoir and had my brother pump the brake peddle while I open one bleeder at a time until all the air bubbles were gone. It worked like a charm! Here's a link from the DYI section of this forum that might help you out. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...leeding+brakes
2013 Nickey Stage II Camaro SS Convertible #10.Black w/ Red leather interior. No Weeds Elec. Diverters, CNC ported heads, custom grind cam, upgraded fuel injectors, ZL-1 fuel pump, V-Max ported TB, Red Magnuson Super Charger with rear cog drive, upgraded rear axles good for 1400Hp, 3:45 gears, Tremec 6 spd., Pedders adj. coil overs, Phadt ZL-spec swaybars, 800Hp at the crank, 670RWHP, 613ft.lbs. torq. @ 11lbs. boost. SOLD!!!
Bowtie-Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:42 AM   #6
J-vette

Drives: '14 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
this scares me, you need to bleed them in order to get the air out once the calipers are back on, you should get new crush washers too. you have 2 bleeders per caliper and they need to be done in order for safety. Get help if you at all not sure...
Yes, this is not anything that can be done wrong.
J-vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #7
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-vette View Post
Yes, this is not anything that can be done wrong.
Need to word it more strongly.

BRAKE BLEEDING IS SOMETHING THAT CANNOT EVER BE ALLOWED TO BE DONE INCORRECTLY.

I also live in NJ, so I might have a little extra personal interest in OP getting this done right and done right the first time. I'm sure that the calipers would have dribbled enough fluid out of them during the powdercoating process for good sized air bubbles to be in each of them now.

Good call on replacing the crush washers.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
The caliper bolts are torque to yield (TTY) and should be replaced.
Technically the caliper to knuckle bolts are also required replacement as per GM
Old 04-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #9
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
All 3 of you guys are right. And he should listen to this info very closely. The copper washers need to be replaced. The caliper bolts also per GM. Up grade your brake fluid to Synthetic. You have to start the bleeding from the farthest point. Which is RR first LR next RF then LF in that order.

For V-8 Torque specs.
Brake Caliper Bleeder Valve 89 lb. in.
brake Caliper Bolt-Front [L99,LS3] 44lb.ft+90 degrees
Brake Caliper Bolt-Rear [L99,LS3] 30 lb. ft.+90
Brake Hose Fitting Bolt 30 lb. ft.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by BLU DUCE; 04-28-2014 at 08:03 AM.
BLU DUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #10
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Man these answers would intimidate the heck out of me. If I was the OP haha. Brake bleeding isn't really that complicated. Just do all your research, and if still not confident get someone who has some experience at it to help you. I'm sure there is someone in New Jersey from this forum who could probably help you out as well.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
Gavros 4 Life

thanks for all the tips it is slightly intimidating lol.....can i buy all the new bolts from my dealership? Furthermore what new brake fluid should i use?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #12
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
At a bare minimum, DOT3 brake fluid.

But I strongly urge you to look past minimum-spec brake fluid, into whatever DOT4 fluid you can find that has a high wet boiling point (dry and wet B.P. should be listed on the container). I say wet boiling point because unless you periodically bleed or flush your brake system you'll eventually end up with fluid that's considered "wet".

Do NOT get DOT5 fluid even if you see it on the parts counter shelf. The higher number does not mean that it's better. Only that it's different and should never be mixed with the DOT3 that you have in there now.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #13
Gavros 4 Life

does anyone have a ling to where i can get some good Dot 4 Fluid? Should I go with the Castrol SRF Dot 4? If so can someone give me a direct link to that specific one not too sure where to get it from. Also is that good fluid where I wont have to bleed the brakes? Because since I got my car in 2010 haven't flushed my brake fluid or bled them and don't want to have to bleed them often either.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #14
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavros 4 Life View Post
does anyone have a ling to where i can get some good Dot 4 Fluid? Should I go with the Castrol SRF Dot 4? If so can someone give me a direct link to that specific one not too sure where to get it from. Also is that good fluid where I wont have to bleed the brakes? Because since I got my car in 2010 haven't flushed my brake fluid or bled them and don't want to have to bleed them often either.
Hoerr racing is a good source of Castrol SRF.

http://www.hrpworld.com/store/defaul...f-1-liter.html

You'll need at least two bottles.

You should flush the entire system when you change brake fluid.