Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 11-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #43
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerJPowell View Post
Camaro owners tend to expect their bolt on cars to be substantial performers. 4th gens were nearly 11s and it looks like 5 th gens are high 11 s with bolt ons.

Mustangs are ?

Model for model the current Mustang lineup is faster for drag racing.

The current v6 mustangs have gone mid 12s with bolt ons which is way faster than the Camaro counterpart. Numerous 5.0s run deep 11s with bolt ons and I really don't feel like I need to say anything about the GT500, everyone should know by now it is beast in the 1/4 mile. Chevy is winning on the road course, Ford is winning in the 1320.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #44
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The Z28 and SS Camaros were cheaper than their Mustang counterparts but enough teenage girls bought the Mustang over the Camaro so Mustang lived on.
Totally makes sense. Girls have no reason to drive a car to mask their, um, shortcomings, so of course they'd select the classic 'Stang.

;-)

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #45
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Interestingly, I originally considered an LS, but the more hardcore nature and the lack of a rear set drove me to order a standard Boss. Shortly after getting it, I drove an LS and was happy with my choice. The base Boss was simply more fun as a DD. But the more track time I put in (something my car encouraged me to do) the more I wished I had the LS. The new Z/28 is definitely a great track car, but those wanting one to drive on a regular basis may well be better served by the ZL1, or 1LE.

On another note, 3 years in and 20 plus track days and I've still never seen a Camaro at the track. Makes me wonder if the ZED will simply be put away as an "investment."

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #46
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Interestingly, I originally considered an LS, but the more hardcore nature and the lack of a rear set drove me to order a standard Boss. Shortly after getting it, I drove an LS and was happy with my choice. The base Boss was simply more fun as a DD. But the more track time I put in (something my car encouraged me to do) the more I wished I had the LS. The new Z/28 is definitely a great track car, but those wanting one to drive on a regular basis may well be better served by the ZL1, or 1LE.

On another note, 3 years in and 20 plus track days and I've still never seen a Camaro at the track. Makes me wonder if the ZED will simply be put away as an "investment."
And funny enough, when I was buying my GT, my salesman talked me out of getting a Boss when I told him I was going to use my car as a DD. He told me I would be much better off with a Premium GT, so that's what I went for and ordered it the way I liked it. The first day I did a HPDE, I thought I made the choice. The next 3 I did, I realized I could have just got the Boss and put up with the spartan interior and enjoyed my 3 to 6 HPDEs a year I do quite a bit more. Oh well.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #47
affox83
System Test Engineer

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1011
On another note, 3 years in and 20 plus track days and I've still never seen a Camaro at the track. Makes me wonder if the ZED will simply be put away as an "investment."[/QUOTE]

I would love to take my ZL1 to the track we have here. Miller Motorsports Park is awesome. I plan on gbuyoing next year with a friend of mine. There is a guy at work with a 06 Z06 who wants me to show up badly. With the recent birth of my son, I don't exactly have several thousand dollars lying around to replace tires and rotors from repeated track usage. I am happy enough right now just driving it whenever and wherever I can. I think most likely I am not the only one in this situation ($$$). For everyone else on this forum...not going to a track (with turns) is a huge .

If you buy a Z/28 and throw it in a garage and never take it to a track...

affox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #48
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
Having drfiven an LS on track before I got my Boss, I can honestly say I don't think the Boss LS was worth the $5,000 it costs over a regular Boss. A majority of the added capability between the 2 comes down to the tires. Yes you lose a few pounds with the rear seat delete, but the suspension is only moderately different. The spring rates are slightly different, and a slightly smaller rear anti-roll bar. I added the brake ducts, and have changed my springs to the FRPP "T" spring which has lowered the car. I also ordered mine with the Torsen rear and Recaro seats, so I 'm not missing much.

If the cost had been less, and the color options in '12 had been better, I might have done it. With the added cooling ducts for brakes, and I can get the scoop for the trans for $40, I'm as close to a LS as you can get without taking out the seats.

And I also see very few Camaros at the track. A 1LE comes with NASA quite often, and I think he posts here, but he is the exception. I hope we do see Z/28s come. I really want to see one on track and see how it does. Hopefully it shows up with a competent driver.

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #49
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post
.... And I also see very few Camaros at the track. A 1LE comes with NASA quite often, and I think he posts here, but he is the exception. I hope we do see Z/28s come. I really want to see one on track and see how it does. Hopefully it shows up with a competent driver.
So true in regards to seeing very few Camaros on the track, whether road course, HPDE, or autocross events, at least in my neck of the woods. There's at least 1 or 2 HPDE every quarter at Homestead or PBIR, or a monthly autox event in So. FL and I continuously see more Mustangs participate than Camaros if even any at all! I bring my stock SS to these types of events every so often and I have yet to see consistently other Camaros on the track (excluding 1/4 drag strips). For all the mods people do to their cars, particularly suspension upgrades, a very small percentage actually put it into practice. Go figure... all for bragging rights, but hardly any actual use for its intended purpose at 7/10ths or greater of its potential. Basically, I wish I could see more Camaros on the road track or autox events.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote