Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #15
weedwacker13

Drives: 1990 isuzu trooper
Slightly off topic, but how do you like the navi that you bought for the G8, Garmin nuvi 265T. I just bought the same one, though I got the wide screen. Still waiting for it to arrive, thanks to the wonderful post office. And if you could, tell me how the traffic situation works, it seems like a really great feature.
weedwacker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #16
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
zebra might be right, the A-pillar may be your best choice. I would prefer it mounted there over the dash, yet, I know, that's not "built in".

I don't understand the no nav option either. Otherwise, they went balls to the wall, like AFM, remote start, tapshift, launch control, not just HIDs but also halo rings, ambient lighting, C&C package, On-Star, XM....makes no sense. Did I mention short stripes? Sorry....kidding!
Old 01-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #17
Attorneyguy

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedwacker13 View Post
Slightly off topic, but how do you like the navi that you bought for the G8, Garmin nuvi 265T. I just bought the same one, though I got the wide screen. Still waiting for it to arrive, thanks to the wonderful post office. And if you could, tell me how the traffic situation works, it seems like a really great feature.
The nuvi 265T is the first nav unit I've ever purchased, so it is my only reference point. However, I have been very pleased with the unit so far. It has a great display, and all the relevant information is easy to read. It has gotten me to my destinations without any problems.

The traffic alerts, however, have failed to impress. So far, I have had two traffic alerts on my unit. But each time, the information that was given was wrong. The first time I got an alert, the nuvi said there was a traffic jam on a particular exit when in fact the traffic jam was 3 miles up the road. The second time I got an alert, there was no traffic at all. In fact, it was Christmas day when the alert went off, so I was really surprised there would be a traffic jam on that day. And sure enough, NONE to be found. I expect up-to-date traffic information given that the nuvi's traffic alerts are supported by advertising that randomly appears on your screen (from places like BP, Walgreens, and Ramada)...

Overall, though, I give the nuvi a thumbs up. I think there is a reason why the nuvis are so insanely popular. Good product.
Attorneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #18
Attorneyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1147 View Post
Struggling with the same issue....even my wife's new Traverse doesn't have NAV....I've got an excellent A/V guy here in St. Louis....JML Audio.....he'll figure out a way for me to get it integrated, make it look factory, and still continue utilizing all of the factory capabilities.

When I sat in NUMBER3's 1LT a couple days ago, this was one of the things I was thinking about and GM did NOT make this dash aftermarket "friendly" as all of the controls and faceplate are one integrated unit.

Good luck! Suction cup on the dash is the best I can offer you right now...
The Traverse doesn't even have Nav? Does it at least have OnStar navigation?

GM put all its money into OnStar navigation (since it invested so heavily in it), but the fact is that OnStar is NOT the solution. People want a nav unit in their main console display (with nice colorful graphics...you know, like all the other car manufacturers). OnStar nav does not offer any real graphics, and I don't want to deal with a dang operator every time I want to go somewhere. Plus, it's none of GM's business where I go anyway! People also want to use their OWN cell phones, not a separate phone number provided by OnStar.

You gradually begin to realize that GM has been behind the times when it took the company until the 2009 model year to offer Bluetooth in all its cars. Even my 2008 G8 does not have Bluetooth (unlike every other car in its class). I mean, come on now!
Old 01-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #19
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
come to think of it... OnStar is probably exactly why they don't have nav build in. it makes no sense for somebody to pay for that subscription if they have a navigation system right in front of them. GM & OnStar are both businesses, therefore they're goal is to stay well into the green. that's my guess
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #20
Attorneyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
come to think of it... OnStar is probably exactly why they don't have nav build in. it makes no sense for somebody to pay for that subscription if they have a navigation system right in front of them. GM & OnStar are both businesses, therefore they're goal is to stay well into the green. that's my guess
That is EXACTLY why we don't get nav. GM put good money into its OnStar nav system. Putting a nav unit in the center console of your Camaro would undercut OnStar nav subscriptions.

Forget the fact that most GM customers would opt for a regular nav system as opposed to OnStar's nav system. Once again, poor choices and poor investment by GM. Hence their struggles...

(It doesn't help that GM didn't even make the Camaro friendly for aftermarket solutions).
Old 01-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #21
Joe in T.O.

Drives: 1970 GTO Ragtop
Attorneyguy, that install looks great on your G8. I am also spoiled with in-dash Nav on our 07 Tahoe and 07 Avalanche. I also wondered that when the unit is an option, do they need a different dashboard due to the Camaro design?
Joe in T.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #22
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
OnStar is NOT why Nav is not available...

NAV is an available option on Many (but not all) GM cars even with OnStar. That said, there is probably some other reason why there is no Nav option (They liked the dash design as is and didnt want to clutter it with a screen there? who knows....). I don't know what it is, but i probably wouldn't have gotten it anyway.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #23
BryGo
Moving up in the world...

Drives: 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2010 Camaro
C'mon guys!

The majority on this site are MEN. We don't need no stinkin' directions. We don't need no stinkin' NAV. All you need to know is which way your heading. Our servicemen, back in the day, had a map and a compass. All you need, is a compass, which the Camaro has.

Problem solved.

Man up!

3300 - 6/5/09
3400 - 6/19/09
3800 - 6/19/09
4000 - 6/24/09
4104 - 6/28/09
4B00 - 7/1/09
4200 - 7/20/09
5000 - 7/30/09
6000 - 7/31/09

IT'S HOME!!!!
BryGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #24
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
^^ +1

i'm still diggin the a-pillar idea. that's where they put the little screen in the cobalt ss, so why not? it won't screw up the dash & is still out of the way, yet easily seen!
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #25
Attorneyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryGo View Post
C'mon guys!

The majority on this site are MEN. We don't need no stinkin' directions. We don't need no stinkin' NAV. All you need to know is which way your heading. Our servicemen, back in the day, had a map and a compass. All you need, is a compass, which the Camaro has.

Problem solved.

Man up!

By that logic, we also don't need a USB port to play our MP3s. Real men play their 8 tracks.

We also don't need active fuel management. Real men don't worry about fuel efficiency.

We also don't need airbags and other safety devices. Real men don't wear seat belts (they're not cool, man).

Look, a good number of consumers want their 2010 model vehicle to have certain features--features that the main competitors have. The Challenger has navigation. So does the Mustang. In fact, the Mustang's navigation unit is voice-activated. If you don't want navigation, then so be it. Don't order it. But GM should have offered the option.

We don't even know where to put our aftermarket nav units because of how the Camaro interior is designed!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #26
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attorneyguy View Post
The Traverse doesn't even have Nav? Does it at least have OnStar navigation?

GM put all its money into OnStar navigation (since it invested so heavily in it), but the fact is that OnStar is NOT the solution. People want a nav unit in their main console display (with nice colorful graphics...you know, like all the other car manufacturers). OnStar nav does not offer any real graphics, and I don't want to deal with a dang operator every time I want to go somewhere. Plus, it's none of GM's business where I go anyway! People also want to use their OWN cell phones, not a separate phone number provided by OnStar.

You gradually begin to realize that GM has been behind the times when it took the company until the 2009 model year to offer Bluetooth in all its cars. Even my 2008 G8 does not have Bluetooth (unlike every other car in its class). I mean, come on now!
Traverses have navigation. It just depends on which model you get. In fact, all four Lambdas have navigation.

By the way, it's actually kinda funny that everyone is mad because GM's new interiors are now integrated. A few years back, everyone was complaining about how outdated our interiors were because we still had "slide-in" switchgear.

There's just no way to satisfy people.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #27
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Traverses have navigation. It just depends on which model you get. In fact, all four Lambdas have navigation.

By the way, it's actually kinda funny that everyone is mad because GM's new interiors are now integrated. A few years back, everyone was complaining about how outdated our interiors were because we still had "slide-in" switchgear.

There's just no way to satisfy people.
No - people didn't like past GM interiors because they looked cheap, used cheap materials, were mono-chromatic and boring.

The problem with Camaro's interior is that GM spent too much time trying to make a center stack more unique than it is functional. They took feedback from a well-received concept car and it just didn't translate well into plastic.

The Camaro's center stack just looks odd and doesn't lend itself to adding modern conveniences like Navigation. Looking at it, it kind've reminds me of the robot from Lost in Space. It has a face (display), two arms (knobs) and two legs (playstation-like HVAC controls).

Last edited by Eich; 01-04-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #28
NUCAR

Drives: 68 big block
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
OnStar is NOT why Nav is not available...

there is probably some other reason why there is no Nav option (They liked the dash design as is and didnt want to clutter it with a screen there? who knows....). I don't know what it is,

but i probably wouldn't have gotten it anyway.
This MIGHT be the reason....how many would pony up 2k for a screen?
NUCAR is offline   Reply With Quote