Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #71
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
quoted from your first link, which I had already read before.

So the 1LE option became more than just a brake upgrade. And in order to keep these specially-equipped race Camaros as light as possible and out of the hands of just any buyer, Chevrolet decided to delete air conditioning and all power amenities from the 1LE-equipped Camaros. This, they thought, was surely enough to turn away all but the most devoted racers.
"Delete" is incorrect...should be RESTRICT...which was what they did through the Production run, even into Gen-4. 1LE was only offered on Base, non-powered non-a/c'd cars through at least '95. CC1 (T-Tops) and AG1 (6-way Power Seat) were NOT available as free-flow options, either.

Sorry my reference was not completely accurate.

With regard to a "bare-bones" version these days, the Team is "adamant" that "strippers" (without poles, as opposed to polls!) just won't sell in "sufficient" volume, so for us to realistically expect "something" seriously missing "basic creature comforts" (read: no a/c-pw-pdl-rke) seems remote (NO pun). And, as the Gen-4 component weight figures (above) show, there's limited weight to be truly saved...and it just might be saved in another manner...

Cheers, bmr!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #72
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
"Delete" is incorrect...should be RESTRICT...which was what they did through the Production run, even into Gen-4. 1LE was only offered on Base, non-powered non-a/c'd cars through at least '95. CC1 (T-Tops) and AG1 (6-way Power Seat) were NOT available as free-flow options, either.

Sorry my reference was not completely accurate.

With regard to a "bare-bones" version these days, the Team is "adamant" that "strippers" (without poles, as opposed to polls!) just won't sell in "sufficient" volume, so for us to realistically expect "something" seriously missing "basic creature comforts" (read: no a/c-pw-pdl-rke) seems remote (NO pun). And, as the Gen-4 component weight figures (above) show, there's limited weight to be truly saved...and it just might be saved in another manner...

Cheers, bmr!

The mentality of the 1LE is different then today. Today they want to sale as many as possible. back then they only wanted to sale them to racers. and that's why I don't expect them to delete the AC and power steering. and with todays accessories power isn't robbed as much as it use to be. So the point for them to even remove them is not there. If I end up with another camaro out of all the ones available it will be a 1LE. but I doubt I will be getting a 2SS since it would be more of a race car then a DD. every bit of weight savings helps.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #73
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

...and something akin to SEMA '10's SSX, as attractive as it may have been to the "hardcore", is "missing" from the Camaro lexicon, these days...
Old 04-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #74
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
I was just reading the new issue of gmhtp, in that's issue they test a 12 gs corvette manual. With the handbuilt ls3, it layed down 415rwhp. I wonder if there's any chance of this being the ls3 they will use, in wet sump form
Damn. 415 rwhp stock. That would be sweet. Link where a stock one is making 415 rwhp?

I am surprised the 1LE doesn't have oiling system change like the gs.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #75
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Dry-sump offers "packaging problems" for the Gen-5 Camaro...
Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #76
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Lowdown was there and did the 1LE thing guys....so listen to him. Handbuilt LS3's will not happen...cost prohibitive...now lets move away from handbuilt engines some and think about another one that could be assembly line built that is currently done by hand....does a certain designation come to mind....?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #77
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Lowdown was there and did the 1LE thing guys....so listen to him. Handbuilt LS3's will not happen...cost prohibitive...now lets move away from handbuilt engines some and think about another one that could be assembly line built that is currently done by hand....does a certain designation come to mind....?
How about the engine that's debuting sometime shortly. . .that's already getting testing in a new body of a certain bigger brother of our car. . .
Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #78
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
How about the engine that's debuting sometime shortly. . .that's already getting testing in a new body of a certain bigger brother of our car. . .
...and that will work as well I am confident of that outcome. However, since it's debut will be in the Big Brother before it's cousin<our ride>, what star shall we hook our wagon's to until that time? We probably won't see that until 2015 at the earliest...like Hylton said...the LS's are going to dissapear....might as well use up some LS7's on the way it!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #79
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Dry-sump offers "packaging problems" for the Gen-5 Camaro...
I wasn't asking for dry-sump. I was thinking at least a different oil pan. Doesn't the ls3 have some oiling problems or did I mishear about that?
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #80
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...and that will work as well I am confident of that outcome. However, since it's debut will be in the Big Brother before it's cousin<our ride>, what star shall we hook our wagon's to until that time? We probably won't see that until 2015 at the earliest...like Hylton said...the LS's are going to dissapear....might as well use up some LS7's on the way it!
not so sure about always things debuting there. look at the MR generations. the camaro got the most current before the vette. so it's still possible. just not likely.

some grasp at straws, I grasp at 1 straw.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #81
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
not so sure about always things debuting there. look at the MR generations. the camaro got the most current before the vette. so it's still possible. just not likely.

some grasp at straws, I grasp at 1 straw.
...good insight....I like your line of thought....it's all rumors and scuttlebutt so far, I guess we won't know what the cards are going to be until they are layed down on the table!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #82
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
I wasn't asking for dry-sump. I was thinking at least a different oil pan. Doesn't the ls3 have some oiling problems or did I mishear about that?
The GS 6-speed LS3 is hand-built @ Wixom (taking the same labor/steps as an LS7...) and is dry-sumped (as are the other Wixom builds).

As to potential oiling problems caused by "excessive cornering G's", if that were true then the ZL1 wouldn't have a wet-sump LSA...
Old 04-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #83
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
I am all for an LS7 believe me. However, I see them using wixom LS3s before line production LS7s.
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #84
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Uhhh..."line production LS7s"? LS7s are also hand-assembled @ Wixom...side-by-each with the "dry" LS3s and LS9s...roughly 3-to-4 per man per 10-hour shift.