Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
Supercharger tuning: Why shop tune instead of tune with the S/C?

Does anyone use the tunes that come with the Superchargers? Why not?

I have spoken to (2) area GM dealers regarding superchargers and warranties on the TVS 2300 Maggie and both told me that they would still honor my original powertrain warranty from GM if I added this particular supercharger to my car BUT ONLY if I used the tune that comes with the supercharger.

They explained that they would handle these warranty items in house if they ever came up but would not necessarily need to report the exact casue to GM if asked.

So I am wondereing how many of you that have had these S/C's installed have used the tune from Magnuson, or do you always use the tune provided by the installing shops?

And installers would you use the Magnasun tune when doing this installation, if not why? If you use the Maggie tune would this affect the pricing of the installation package?

Please give me your feedback on why it is a good or bad idea to use the tune provided with the TVS2300.

And tuners, what is the basic difference from their tune and the tune you would do at your shop?

Thanks
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Excellent question and I hope we will get some true answers and not some fabricated ones. Hey Brian, how about some comment from Maggie side?
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
Mark-HD

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange SS
When I had my Maggie installed by JIC Performance, he let me help. We used the stock magnuson tune. I also removed my CAI.
The stock tune still has the skip shift (m6) and torque controls so you don't get the benefit of screaming torque below 3200 rpm. However it's tough enough to hook up . I do have another tune but for now I am pleased with the stock tune. Now that said, Once I have enough miles that I'm comfortable with the trans output not snapping, I'm putting the CAI, headers and tune in it.....
2010 Camaro SS, M6, MTI shifter and sway bars, GM quarter flares, Corsa catback, Roto-Fab CAI, 30% tinted windows, Lloyd's custom mats, Hawk ceramic pads, Pedders lower coils, Magnuson supercharger with 3.6 pulley, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Kook's LT's1 7/8 w/cats, Lingenfelter/SLP billet pedals, KW V'3 Coilovers, RevExtreme catch can, ---Ordered--- IconZ LS7 9 & 11" polished wheels!. Dyno'd 563.05 HP, 543.86 Torq.
Mark-HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Frans96ss

Drives: 96SS
The tunes they give you are SUPER conservative and get terrible gas milage ect. A custom tume is well worth it. The GM dealer will NEVER know what tune is in there.
Frans96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans96ss View Post
The tunes they give you are SUPER conservative and get terrible gas milage ect. A custom tume is well worth it. The GM dealer will NEVER know what tune is in there.
I still haven't been able to come see you with the snow and Xmas in the area but will come to see you eventually when I have my money together.

Thanks for the feedback, and I don't think these dealers really want to know. They just want you to get maintence work done there regularily and keep you coming back for return business so they are willing to work with you.
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
JICPerformance
Here to make you faster

Drives: 2005 GTO supercharged 2009 GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-HD View Post
When I had my Maggie installed by JIC Performance, he let me help. We used the stock magnuson tune. I also removed my CAI.
The stock tune still has the skip shift (m6) and torque controls so you don't get the benefit of screaming torque below 3200 rpm. However it's tough enough to hook up . I do have another tune but for now I am pleased with the stock tune. Now that said, Once I have enough miles that I'm comfortable with the trans output not snapping, I'm putting the CAI, headers and tune in it.....
With that being said, there's nothing wrong with the stock tune. The tune provided is setup to work well on virtually every car out there that is "stock". If you have non-stock modifictions other than the supercharger, the tune will usually require some adjusting. This is for both safety and to gain the maximum power potential from your individual setup.

As an example, Mark's car was having to add a lot of fuel and was showing a good bit of knock with his CAI installed. Mark swapped the factory air box back in and this seems to have curbed some of the trouble's noticed when logging.
JICPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:33 AM   #7
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Great question!

I too have the Maggie stock tune on mine (though I've yet to drive it). I am going to run around and see if any dealer in my area will provide warranty work with it installed.

I do want to add LTs and a CAI though...sao based on what JICP said...I may need a tune whether I want one or not!

We'll see how it goes!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:41 AM   #8
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Great question!

I too have the Maggie stock tune on mine (though I've yet to drive it). I am going to run around and see if any dealer in my area will provide warranty work with it installed.

I do want to add LTs and a CAI though...sao based on what JICP said...I may need a tune whether I want one or not!

We'll see how it goes!
That's a nice looking car. How much did you lower it?
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:04 AM   #9
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
That's a nice looking car. How much did you lower it?
She's on a custom drop from Eibach...about 2 or 2 1/2 inches from my understanding.
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
Tuning is a must if you have more done than just the maggie!!! Exhaust and CAI's with the maggie requier more fuel and timing! Magna-Chargers tune is for there blower only so if that is all you have done no need for a tune! The more aftermarket addons you have the more a dyno tune is needed!
Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
Frans96ss

Drives: 96SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProberts View Post
I still haven't been able to come see you with the snow and Xmas in the area but will come to see you eventually when I have my money together.

Thanks for the feedback, and I don't think these dealers really want to know. They just want you to get maintence work done there regularily and keep you coming back for return business so they are willing to work with you.

I understand. Take your time. Let me know when your ready.
Frans96ss is offline   Reply With Quote