Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 11-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Z71456

Drives: Camaro
Burnouts at the Drag Strip in a M6?

Hey Guys,

I've never taken my car to the drag strip and I'm thinking about doing it really soon. Just wondering how you guys heat the tires after going through the water line? Do you just rev up and dump the clutch to spin the tires a bit or do you use the brakes as well? I tried doing a brake stand before and I ended up burning the clutch more than the tires. I don't have problems lighting the tires up by any means, but just wondering what etiquette and common practice in a manual is at the drags. I've done some searches on here and couldn't find anything particularly pertaining to the burnouts on a M6 so excuse me if I'm beating a dead horse or if the questions seem stupid. Just never been to the drags before and would like to and not look like a total fool my first few runs. hahahahaha.

thanks,
Chris
Magnacharger TVS2300 / Roto-Fab CAI / ACT Twin-disc clutch + flywheel / Livernois Motorsports Duel Fuel Pump / Modified stock engine cover / ARH 1-7/8 Long Tube Headers + High Flow cats / Magnaflow 3" Cat-back / Eibach Springs / Pfadt Sway Bars / Stillen slotted/drilled rotors, hard lines and Hawk pads / Barton Short-Shifter / CBD Spoiler / GM Heritage Grill / Forgestar F14 20x11/20x9 Matte Black / Nitto NT05 Tires 565WHP/570TQ
Z71456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
You should look at getting a line-lock added. I think they are only about $150 and that should make your burn outs a breeze. That will also be good insurnace to help keep you from burning up a clutch.

Search on the forums and you'll find info about a line lock. One guy I saw that had a line-lock in a Camaro put the button under the trim ring around the shifter. When he was at the track he would pop up the trim and pull out the button. When he was done he would tuck it back under the trim. That keeps you from have to drill a whole somewhere.

I'm no expert but I believe I remember reading on Ranger's site that you should start off in 2nd for the burn out.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Steps to doing a burnout on street tires at the track

Step 1: wait in the staging lanes

Step 2: continue waiting in the staging lanes

Step 3: If you are racing at Pittsburgh Raceway Park, continue steps 1-2 for at least an hour

Step 4: Get waived into burnout box from track official

Step 5: If possible drive AROUND the water... not through it.

Step 6: Get into your lane and into the burnout box

Step 7: Put car in 2nd gear

Step 8: Rev motor to, i dont know, lets say 4,000 rpm

Step 9: let go of clutch

Step 10: quickly step on the brake pedal with your left foot. This will take practice on how hard you should stay on the brakes, too hard and you will burn up your brakes/clutch... too soft and you will move forward.

Step 11: only do a short burnout with street tires. You don't need to warm them up, just a quick sweep to get all the rocks and gunk off them

Step 12: Let go of brakes and continue to do burn out until you go a few feet... to make sure you leave the burnout box while doing a burn out... this is to make sure nothing thats laying in the burnout box (i.e. rocks, other people's burnt rubber, water, etc) gets back on your tires

Step 13: Push clutch back in and let go of gas after you have "burned out" of the burnout box

Step 14: Stage your car

Step 15: wait for green light

Step 16: smoke the mustang in the adjacent lane

Rather, rinse, and repeat, as necessary.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote