Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 02-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #183
Mohamed Sharaf
passionate

Drives: 2012 IOM 2LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Mohamed Sharaf
How can I install one on my 2012 2lt?
Old 02-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #184
phess11

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohamed Sharaf View Post
How can I install one on my 2012 2lt?
Oh My, Please do a search. There is a billion threads on catch cans.
phess11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:26 AM   #185
Mohamed Sharaf
passionate

Drives: 2012 IOM 2LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Mohamed Sharaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by phess11 View Post
Oh My, Please do a search. There is a billion threads on catch cans.
Sorry, I just wanted to know if it is easy to implement or I have to take it to an expert to do it for me
Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #186
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Mohamed, no worries. It takes maybe ten minutes to install. Just about anyone can do it.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #187
sloSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
Hey Tracy, been thinking about getting a Rx can for my '12 civic. (little ways from purchasing it) But have you installed a CC on a new civic? Thanks
I don't have a Civic but last December I stopped by Tracy's shop and had an RX Catch Can installed on my Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel!

I bet he can do it
sloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #188
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Almost all the searches I do state V6 in the description page, so Im going with there is almost no need for this on a V8 non charged correct?

There were a couple threads that implied it, but nothing concrete....
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #189
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloSS View Post
I don't have a Civic but last December I stopped by Tracy's shop and had an RX Catch Can installed on my Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel!

I bet he can do it
Thats cool!...I know he can too, been too his shop as well and its really neat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
Almost all the searches I do state V6 in the description page, so Im going with there is almost no need for this on a V8 non charged correct?

There were a couple threads that implied it, but nothing concrete....
Are you asking if theres a need for it on V8's? Of course, the V6 i've read is one of the worst at ingesting oil.... the V8 still ingests oil but i guess not as badly.

I installed a Rx can on my dad's V8 Zo6 and i always catch a good amount of oil.

Another example is that my '01 Acura Mdx needed some work done because i needed a brand new throttle position sensor (because it was dirty and etc.) and a good fuel injector cleaning because it wouldnt start. After some BG cleaner it feels new again

Anyways i would definitely recommend one
Old 02-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #190
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
I'll add my 2 cents for catch cans. I installed my Moroso air/oil separator (catch can) 7 days ago. I checked the can for the first time today and found about 1 tablespoon of oil inside. My car is a daily driver and I drove about 75 miles in the past 7 days. I only gave the car 1 good WOT run too.
I could be imagining this but it seems like the engine runs smoother now too.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #191
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
I'll add my 2 cents for catch cans. I installed my Moroso air/oil separator (catch can) 7 days ago. I checked the can for the first time today and found about 1 tablespoon of oil inside. My car is a daily driver and I drove about 75 miles in the past 7 days. I only gave the car 1 good WOT run too.
I could be imagining this but it seems like the engine runs smoother now too.

Oil ingestion causes detonation so yes, reducing it will cause smoother runing.

But you have a can that only catches a portion of the oil....there are pictures posted here with the test results and why....but do your self a favor, at any autoparts store pick up (app $10) a clear glass inline fuel filter and install it between the moroso can and the intake manifold and in a 100-200 miles it will be full and saturated with the oil getting past that can due to the design. There is no designated inlet or outlet, and unscrew it and remove the perforated disc holding in the media......if you take a wet wash cloth and hold it to you mouth and suck on it, you suck water out of it....same thing is happening with that can....thats how it allows so much to pull right through. It is better than no can, but any of the better cans in the tests that catch nearly all are less cost and function so much better.

But dont take my word for it, please try this simple test for yourself. Remember, we tested a beer can w/2 fittings in it as a loke and it caught as much oil as most on the market.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #192
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post

But you have a can that only catches a portion of the oil....there are pictures posted here with the test results and why....but do your self a favor, at any autoparts store pick up (app $10) a clear glass inline fuel filter and install it between the moroso can and the intake manifold and in a 100-200 miles it will be full and saturated with the oil getting past that can due to the design. There is no designated inlet or outlet, and unscrew it and remove the perforated disc holding in the media......if you take a wet wash cloth and hold it to you mouth and suck on it, you suck water out of it....same thing is happening with that can....thats how it allows so much to pull right through. It is better than no can, but any of the better cans in the tests that catch nearly all are less cost and function so much better.

But dont take my word for it, please try this simple test for yourself. Remember, we tested a beer can w/2 fittings in it as a loke and it caught as much oil as most on the market.

I don't have the resources to test multiple ones, but you are saying the cheap ones do basically as good as the expensive ones? I realize there may be a measurable difference, but is it enough to matter? If I decide to do it, and I haven't decided yet, a $30 can will do pretty much as good as a $200 can correct?
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #193
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Depends on which can. Go to page 3-4 in this thread and look at all the pictures of the different cans cut apart. I was refering to the one Limacharlie installed......it's covered in detail here. Lets a ton of oil through.

The only ones realing trapping all, or almost all are in this order:

RX
Saiku Micchi
Elite & AMW tied

are the best by far, then a few others come in allowing only 20-25% of the oil through.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #194
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
All I know is I've had mine awhile. Glad I do
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  111.8 KB
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #195
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post

I did some research on the web, camaro5, etc. and ultimately decided on the Moroso can. I know this is a lame reason but I chose the Moroso mainly because I thought it looked the best and had the best mounting hardware. It just looks the most professional. I've seen your posts/threads regarding catch can comparisons and the RX seems to be the best functioning can (based on your info). However, there seems to be a bias towards the RX on this site. Other sites and forums seem to favor other cans (Moroso is among them).
It is very possible the Moroso is not catching ALL the oil before it goes back into the intake. Some oil can't be bad though. If no oil is supposed to go into the intake, why would GM (and other companies) install a simple 5" tube/fixed orifice going from the crankcase to the intake from the factory? The LS7, LSA, and LS9 have a similar setup too.
You obviously know more info about catch cans/PCV stuff and I'm not doubting the RX can performance. I don't think my perspective is too far off though....

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #196
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
It is very possible the Moroso is not catching ALL the oil before it goes back into the intake. Some oil can't be bad though.
Oh wow. Just...wow.

No. And no again.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote