Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #15
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
How about that storm this week on the cape you guys almost always get a lot less but really wet snow this time you guys got it almost as bad as us in terms of amount plus 65-75MPH winds you guys got an a$$ whopping.
We got just as wrecked as you guys did.

Not fun. 5ft drifts for the lose.
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:58 PM   #16
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
OP implies he gets significant snow and says his street can go six days before the roads are "bare" - I think that justifies snow tires. All-season tires are good enough if streets get cleared every day and accumulations aren't more than 4"-5". In OP's case, I think he needs snow tires.
My post was pretty generalized. He still might not, it's all about perspective. If he stepped back and counted days he realy needs them, he still may conclude winters are overkill.

Not all of Maine gets a ton of snow. The coastal cities can get a lot of rain in the winter due to the ocean's warming influence on the weather (just not true this time around).
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:11 PM   #17
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
P zeros are 220 wear rating, a good all season performance tire should be in the 500 wear rating area with about exactly the same traction: AA and high speed rating y-z-x etc , in other words Pirellis wear out way to quick and are sucky in the snow, and for my all seasons I got toyo proxes4 : feel much better in light snow and cold and rain to me and better last longer than 13000 miles until its almost at the wear bar on the rears....
Old 01-29-2015, 09:59 PM   #18
oslouie

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Redline
I bought gmax's and ride through the MN winter and snow just fine. You just have to know how to control your gas petal
oslouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #19
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
Not sure I understand or agree with the all season hate. They're a middle of the road solution for a reason...
Thats true, but the OP is in Maine, not what I'd call middle of the road winters.

All seasons are fine around here where its mostly just wet roads we're dealing with, and maybe 4 or 5 snowfalls a year with accumulation in inches not feet. And they're great for vehicles that you can run all seasons all year round on, typical family car or SUV type of thing... but on a performance car, you'd be giving up quite a bit of summer performance to run all seasons year round. If you've gotta drive it all year, it's much better to have a summer set and a winter set on dedicated wheels.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:40 AM   #20
stoopid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
Thats true, but the OP is in Maine, not what I'd call middle of the road winters.
As I explained in a subsequent reply, not all of Maine gets feet of snow each storm. The proximity of the ocean influences their weather tremendously, often cutting back dramatically snowfall totals compared to further inland. It's also worth pointing out all the largest cities in Maine (ie - where most of "Maine" lives) are along the immediate coast.

Here's a map that shows what I mean. These numbers might be a tad high, since they end in 1988 and snowfall has, on average, been less since then. I couldn't find a newer map. Clear to see the effect the ocean has on the totals.

That said, Newport Maine is a bit inland (though not in the mountains). It's also a small city (~3500 residents). I suspect the plowing problems are a result of the city's size, not tremendously harsh weather. We also live in a small town (east of Albany), and plows are a bit slower to clear the roads than they are in the larger, neighboring cities. One site estimates they get 76" of snow annually, which is a lot but certainly not the most of any place this far north (Albany by comparison gets 50" /year on average, and we're not considered a 'snow belt' either).

I guess if I lived there I might invest in winter tires, just because it's so podunk. I'm sure there's only two tow trucks, and they're probably owned by cousins who set the going rate at dinner.

Last edited by stoopid; 01-30-2015 at 04:12 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:40 AM   #21
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
thats true, but even the lower snowfall numbers there are higher than what I'd consider all seasons designed for.

Like I said, they're great in the south or southern midwest, but much farther north than here I'd have 2 sets of tires or a winter beater. This coming from someone that doesn't have the option of staying home or waiting until the state gets the roads cleared to go to work... for folks with that option, I could see all seasons being sufficient I guess.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:00 AM   #22
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockjohndro View Post
I have a 2011 2LT RS Yellow Camaro with stock 245/45/20 on the front and 275/45/20 summer tires (Pirelli) in which they're awful obviously in the snow. I am looking to buy 245/45/20 Good Year Eagle GT All Seasons and I was wondering if ill notice much difference in the snow/slush/ice. I don't have the money to buy new snow tires and I can't find any used snow tires to fit. HELP!
Don't have time to read all the posts, maybe been said already.

You will have a much better time in the snow with all seasons than with the Pirelli's. It really all comes down to the tire compound, and the all seasons are more pliable in cold weather, thus will give you better traction.

You can save your P tires for the summer. However, driving summer tires in freezing weather will cause them to wear very fast. So you'll be replacing them soon anyways. Also, unless you track your car, you'll find a good all season like Continental DWS will be just fine all year round.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:14 AM   #23
kidhauler

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Silver Ice Metallic
I live in MA and we see a fair bit of snow. Stock Pirelli's in the spring/summer and winter tires for late fall/winter. You won't regret it. Blizzak's are awesome but I went with Goodyear Ultra-Grip tires for my 2LT/RS and have nothing but good things to say. They are cheaper and just as good in the snow.

-Dennis-
Old 01-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #24
Blue13SS

Drives: 2013 Camaro Blue/Silver 2SS
Living in the Detroit area of Michigan, I faced the same problem.... pulled the Pirelli P-Zeros off the car before winter started and replaced them with a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS (Dry, Wet, Snow) all season tires. I am 100% pleased with switch - I can actually drive on the snow covered roads now ! ! ! Cold weather traction is the other night & day improvement. Bought them in the original P-Zeros sizes and they mounted right onto my existing factory wheels. Sold the Pirellis and plan to run the Continental year-round - much, much, quieter.

So if your looking for something in between the P-Zeros and snow tires on a different set of rims, the Continental are a good choice in your neck of the woods...
Blue13SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #25
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
I lived in BF MN for a while and drove a G8 and Charger all year round there. Only ever had all seasons but there were plenty of days that I didn't drive because of the snow. I am lucky because I can do that because I can work from home if I need to. If you absolutely have to be able to drive you should get snow tires. My cousin has a G8 and puts snow tires on it for the winter and has 0 problems.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #26
stoopid

Drove to work in a legit snow storm this morning. Fourth time this season I've driven on snowy roads. I'm still alive to tell the tale.

Seriously, it's about going slow and anticipating. I'm sure if I had to drive in this weather 365/24/7 I'd eventually end up in a ditch (or kill myself out of frustration/boredom), but even in an overly active winter things are more than manageable.

The boogeyman about this car and all season tires needs to be laid to rest. People need to learn how to drive in the snow is all.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #27
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
Drove to work in a legit snow storm this morning. Fourth time this season I've driven on snowy roads. I'm still alive to tell the tale.

Seriously, it's about going slow and anticipating. I'm sure if I had to drive in this weather 365/24/7 I'd eventually end up in a ditch (or kill myself out of frustration/boredom), but even in an overly active winter things are more than manageable.

The boogeyman about this car and all season tires needs to be laid to rest. People need to learn how to drive in the snow is all.
Proper snow tires are superior in snow compared to all season tires. It's not a "boogeyman" it is a fact. Proper snow tires are different than All Seasons. They can afford to be. They are specialized tires made for excelling in snow, rather than a compromise.

If you feel that you drove in some snow with your All Season tires so that makes you an authority on what tires are best in snow, you'll pardon me if I find that wildly arrogant. My experience in driving RWD cars- with torque greatly in excess of a Camaro SS- through many winters and many many snowfalls allows me, in my opinion, to have a valid viewpoint as well.

I drive my LS3 right through places in which FWD cars get stuck. Oh, I know how to drive in snow in this car, started this 'drive the performance RWD car all year long' ride in '89. But I don't kid myself and feel my tires are not what made the difference.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #28
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I actually loved the all seasons that came stock on my 1LT. They did great in the snow & were actually pretty darn good at the track too. They really stuck. I have more performance type tires now that it is no longer a daily driver & sometimes & wish I still had the all seasons. Of course living in Tennessee, I didn't have to drive in the snow very often or I would have gotten snow tires.

Tags
ice, snow, snowtires, tires