Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-15-2023, 02:44 PM   #1
wayche

Drives: 2010 V6 RS
OEM wipers discontinued?

I went by the parts desk at my local dealership to get another set of wiper blade inserts like I always do, they usually last about 6 months to a year down here with cleaning and lubrication (WD-40 Silicone) once a month. I'm used to paying about $14 for the pair and I have a spare set of OEM blades that I alternate out with the new inserts every time.

But this time parts desk told me that the blade inserts are already being discontinued, and the full blades themselves are likely to be discontinued sometime in the next year. I asked about the pricing for the OEM blades they had in stock and they quoted like $23 a piece, yikes. That's like $10 more per blade than I've ever paid for them before. (I saw some online that were priced at $80 per blade. )

I'm normally a Bosch Icon guy for our other vehicles, they're excellent wipers but there's no denying that they're a.) expensive and b.) plug ugly. For the Camaro I've really liked the standard OEM hybrid blades, they're so sleek and low-profile that that's all I've ever bought, and I'm really bummed at the idea that they'll be going away.

I know there's a bunch of other wiper threads on here going years back but for those of y'all who use aftermaket blades, which ones do you guys like? What seems to be the closest to OEM? Which ones fit the best?
wayche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 05:18 PM   #2
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
I've actually got my originals Put away with a new set of Blades, and went with a set of Bosch Icons
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 06:19 PM   #3
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
I use the cheapest blades from Walmart, works for me.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 06:44 PM   #4
DirtyDirt

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I always buy the rain-X wipers. pretty much same cost as all the others(expensive) but they work well. I dont drive the Camaro in the rain, or if it looks like it might rain.. so not a big deal...lol
I use them on my Denali Duramax and on my H3 Alpha trail riding rig
15% tint
Matte Black Rally Stripe
2016 Camaro SS Black Chrome PVD Wheels
Pedal Commander

2013 ZL1 BOUGHT 10-29-23 With 1950 miles
K&N Full CAI
15% tint
Few cosmetic additions when it comes out of winter hibernation
DirtyDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 04:56 AM   #5
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDirt View Post
I always buy the rain-X wipers. pretty much same cost as all the others(expensive) but they work well. I dont drive the Camaro in the rain, or if it looks like it might rain.. so not a big deal...lol
I use them on my Denali Duramax and on my H3 Alpha trail riding rig
+1
Didn’t bother to put the windshield washer bottle in when I installed the air scoop just because of that reason. If it was remotely legal, I’d probably remove the wipers, altogether.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:21 AM   #6
2010sgm

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
i bought a set of oem style on amazon and they work great!
Old 03-16-2023, 10:37 AM   #7
DirtyDirt

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
+1
Didn’t bother to put the windshield washer bottle in when I installed the air scoop just because of that reason. If it was remotely legal, I’d probably remove the wipers, altogether.
lol... rite on
15% tint
Matte Black Rally Stripe
2016 Camaro SS Black Chrome PVD Wheels
Pedal Commander

2013 ZL1 BOUGHT 10-29-23 With 1950 miles
K&N Full CAI
15% tint
Few cosmetic additions when it comes out of winter hibernation
DirtyDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 03:39 PM   #8
Rph74

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I’ve been a big fan of the Silicone wipers. Cost extra up front, but perform better and last longer. I’m at 2 years on my pickup, and they still work as good as new.
Rph74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 06:02 PM   #9
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayche View Post
I went by the parts desk at my local dealership to get another set of wiper blade inserts like I always do, they usually last about 6 months to a year down here with cleaning and lubrication (WD-40 Silicone) once a month. I'm used to paying about $14 for the pair and I have a spare set of OEM blades that I alternate out with the new inserts every time.

But this time parts desk told me that the blade inserts are already being discontinued, and the full blades themselves are likely to be discontinued sometime in the next year. I asked about the pricing for the OEM blades they had in stock and they quoted like $23 a piece, yikes. That's like $10 more per blade than I've ever paid for them before. (I saw some online that were priced at $80 per blade. )

I'm normally a Bosch Icon guy for our other vehicles, they're excellent wipers but there's no denying that they're a.) expensive and b.) plug ugly. For the Camaro I've really liked the standard OEM hybrid blades, they're so sleek and low-profile that that's all I've ever bought, and I'm really bummed at the idea that they'll be going away.

I know there's a bunch of other wiper threads on here going years back but for those of y'all who use aftermaket blades, which ones do you guys like? What seems to be the closest to OEM? Which ones fit the best?
Just Google AC Delco 8-4424 and AC Delco 8-4421.

Those are the 2 part numbers for GM OEM wipers. Around $12 each on Amazon. Wiper blades are very generic and are used across hundreds of different vehicles. They won't be discontinued by AC Delco anytime soon.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:46 PM   #10
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
As soon as I brag on mine, they will crap out, but I still have my factory originals on from 2009, as far as I know since I bought the car in 2013 and have never changed them. Of course, I don't drive in the rain hardly ever.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:58 PM   #11
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Same here. Mine are the originals too. I’ve been thinking about pulling them just to preserve them. Mine has never seen rain before.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:58 PM   #12
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
As soon as I brag on mine, they will crap out, but I still have my factory originals on from 2009, as far as I know since I bought the car in 2013 and have never changed them. Of course, I don't drive in the rain hardly ever.
Same here. Delivered 8/09, 70,000 miles. still fine.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:04 PM   #13
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I turned my wipers on once while washing the car to make sure they worked. The only time. Car has never been wet on the underside. So yes I still have the originals on. All the way up to 13,000 miles now. Still sad if we can't get original replacements though.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 06:08 AM   #14
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Not sure who makes them for GM, but I know the 4th gens I used to have had the original blades on them for 8+ years and they sat inside the garage and hardly ever got wet. They were made by Bosch and the rubber actually started to separate from the blade just sitting in the garage. I replaced them with the Bosch over the counter blades as they looked exactly the same as production blades (no refills available) with the exception of the center pivot "hole" was filled solid on the production blades while being hollow on the replacements.

Yeah, your dealer is charging you for the blades, not the refills. They list about 23 and change or so. You can find better prices elsewhere. Do a search with those part numbers previously given and you'll be satisifed.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote