Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-29-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
STAY TRUE TO THE MODEL

With all the "bailout" talk going on it sometimes clouds our brains of the TRUE joy we'll ALL experience in about 3 months, as our LONG AWAITED PASSIONS start lolling off the line

We know that this project has already been financially supported, or they wouldn't allow us to order the cars. So let's enjoy the moment by keeping the anticipation & excitement going!

At the same time we must also keep close tabs on the state of the company, which will play a major role in the production years ahead, for every vehicle.

Having said this, here is a link to the real issues that hamper "THE GENERAL" as we know it. Pay (no pun intended) close attention to the top 5 salary earners and the numbers.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=GM
Old 11-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
Having said this, here is a link to the real issues that hamper "THE GENERAL" as we know it. Pay (no pun intended) close attention to the top 5 salary earners and the numbers.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=GM
Pay close attention to what those in similar positions at any other company worldwide earn. If you were doing your job for $10 an hour and you knew you could get $20 an hour no problem elsewhere doing the same thing, would you?

I'm not defending these salaries at a time when GM needs every last cent, and we have yet to see if these guys take a pay cut which who knows they may be willing to do (notice none except 1 exercised any stock options), but also GM hired them knowing what they were paying for, thats the going rate, and if GM didnt, someone else would, and if GM dropped them someone else would pay them.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I'm pretty sure the CEO doesn't set his own salary. that's up to the board. as has been explained to me. at the same time who here would deny someone giving them millions of dollars? no one. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
With these guys making millions I would go back to congress and say I will not work for 1 dollar a year during the restructure but would take the same pay a normal line worker makes for the next 2-3 years to help turn around cost.

The 1 dollar thing was kind of silly but this would make sense.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
These guys are getting paid for their jobs. I want that pay to go down since it is preposterous, but the truth is that they've earned every dime if they can get GM through this disaster.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
bobscogin

Drives: 2016 Challenger R/T, 1965 Impala SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
These guys are getting paid for their jobs. I want that pay to go down since it is preposterous, but the truth is that they've earned every dime if they can get GM through this disaster.
I'm reminded of a quote from Albert Einstein that can be applied to the management at GM for the last 10 years:

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Keyword being IF.

They need to voluntarily take pay cuts. Take one for the team boys. Once we're back making money, then we can go back to giving you a nice fat paycheck for your efforts.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
The Great KJ
The Great KJ

Drives: 09 Challenger R/T & 05 Caravan
Send a message via Yahoo to The Great KJ
Congress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
With these guys making millions I would go back to congress and say I will not work for 1 dollar a year during the restructure but would take the same pay a normal line worker makes for the next 2-3 years to help turn around cost.

The 1 dollar thing was kind of silly but this would make sense.
Sad thing is most Congress members make tons of money too and it isn't their salary either. How much money is enough? I know people who don't play the lottery until it gets way high, whats that tell you? 1 million isn't enough.
I hope GM survives, they make the best looking cars on the planet.

KJ
Old 11-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
the truth is that they've earned every dime if they can get GM through this disaster.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
tally114

Drives: 08 C6 NPP, MZ6 436hp, M2W
Richard Wagoner is number 407 on the list of the highest paid CEOs, and GM is one of the biggest companies there is.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/12/...n_Rank_17.html

He's not an overpaid CEO AT ALL. One could argue though, that all the men on this list are overpaid.

Last edited by tally114; 11-29-2008 at 12:17 PM.
tally114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Regardless of how much Wagoner makes, he was running the ship when it ran aground so afaiac, he's lucky he still has his job. If I were the board, I would be all over him about holding off on his salary until they get back on the rails.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
tally114

Drives: 08 C6 NPP, MZ6 436hp, M2W
#79 Alan R Mulally, Ford Motor : $20,830,000...... No, Richard Wagoner isnt overpaid.
tally114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #13
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
I don't agree with exorbitant salaries, but the going rate for a top CEO is what it is. If GM does'nt want to pay it, they get whoever is willing to do the job for less, and that is somebody with no experience. I think there is too much turnover at many big corporations nowadays, which leads to extreme shortsightedness when it comes to long term decisions. I mean, if Wagoner is building the right products, and has the company headed in the right direction for the long term, should they fire him due to short term struggles? I hope they don't, because if you look at the quality of GM vehicles lately, they continue to up the bar and they offer things that no other automaker does, when you look at the CTS-V, Camaro (soon), G8, cobalt ss, and Corvette. These are unbelievable performance values in their category, and they are all well built quality cars.

If GM was to only build Corolla and Camry copies like congress thinks they should, the performance division and all these awesome cars will be killed.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
And all five combined earn less than Mullaly at Ford. The issue?