Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 03-15-2008, 07:58 PM   #141
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
On another note. I was just think about the aftermarket stuff. I was looking and one of yals avatars and I was think that some ones gonna come up with that Knightrider effect to insert in the Z06 scoop that is have on the front. Then I remember that they made that new Knightrider show and they used a Mustang? Is nothing sacred? Ewww.

Oh and don't think that there aren't some guys that like the pre-pro head lights and some one with eventually come up with an aftermarket set for those guys that like em.

My problem... I'm very impatient. I want to buy this car like yesterday. I want this car so bad, I've got nightmares of getting to the dealership and Boss Hog was at the counter and he started laughing and he said....he said....they were all sold out.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:15 PM   #142
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
No the PCM will not be able to compensate for the boost levels you could hurt the economy of the engine because you are still adding air to the cylinder in the compression stroke but not adding any down force in the power stroke so this would be a definate downside. I see a Tune to deactivate the AFM if a Supercharger or other FI is added.
You sure about that? I'm not quite following you on the "adding air to the cylinder in the compression stroke but not adding any down force in the power stroke" part. Would you mind elabroating?

I think you're referring to the deactivated cyllinders during V4 mode, right? If so...the valves are closed, so no air gets pulled in or pushed out after AFM kicks in. So those cyllinders wouldn't feel the boost(what little there would be*). The air in trapped in the cyllinder acts as a sort of spring - compensating for the power loss when the piston compresses it.

*AFM will only activate at lower rpms, where the power of all 8 cyllinders isn't needed. At those engine speeds - very little, if any boost is being produced by any FI system. So I can't imagine any problems there....

I don't mean for any of this to come off condesending...I'm just assuming I know what you said in your post (the italicised).
Old 03-16-2008, 12:04 AM   #143
nikecar

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdimess84 View Post
Maybe this a good sign that they will start production late 2008! I hope atleast!

The engineer said this time next year, about April 09 it would be out as a '10 model.
nikecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #144
Sir Charles
MilitaryTuners

Drives: Lexus SC400
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalzOnYer4Head View Post
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to share some photos a buddy of mine was able to snap on his way home. The pictures were taken on I-75 just north of Tampa. This was our second encounter with a new Camaro this week.

The first was at a gas station in Thonotosassa. It was black. We got to chit chat with them for a bit and they said that they were testing the effect that high humidity levels had on the engine performance.

Enjoy!

Short video:

Attachment 4068

Attachment 4069

Attachment 4070

Kick A$$. Awesome find.
Sir Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #145
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
You sure about that? I'm not quite following you on the "adding air to the cylinder in the compression stroke but not adding any down force in the power stroke" part. Would you mind elabroating?

I think you're referring to the deactivated cyllinders during V4 mode, right? If so...the valves are closed, so no air gets pulled in or pushed out after AFM kicks in. So those cyllinders wouldn't feel the boost(what little there would be*). The air in trapped in the cyllinder acts as a sort of spring - compensating for the power loss when the piston compresses it.

*AFM will only activate at lower rpms, where the power of all 8 cyllinders isn't needed. At those engine speeds - very little, if any boost is being produced by any FI system. So I can't imagine any problems there....

I don't mean for any of this to come off condesending...I'm just assuming I know what you said in your post (the italicised).
Let me say up front that I am applying my limited knowledge here:

I think the valves would still have to open and close since the piston is moving in the cyliner. If the valves were to stay closed the piston would be bound in the cylinder and couldn't push air our or draw it in as needed.

So, I can see some concern that air will still be forced into the cylinder but will not be burned and that may cause over presureisation of the dead cylinders.

Ahh wait a minute. As I think about this GM would have had to already figure this out. In V4 mode if the valves are closed in the compression stroke that air in the dead cylinder has to go somewhere. GM must have a way to push what would other wise be trapped air out when the cyliner is inactive. So I think we're discussing a moot point.

However I still think the pass through valve on the supercharger would allow AFM to operate normally on a blown engine. These valves are proven systems that have been in use for years to reduce the fuel consumption that superchargers cause. So I'm thinking whether you're in v8 or v4 mode the blower will vent whatever air isn't being used. and when a load is placed on the entire system everything should come to life in the correct way...

Just my thoughts, Any one else?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #146
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I think the valves would still have to open and close since the piston is moving in the cyliner. If the valves were to stay closed the piston would be bound in the cylinder and couldn't push air our or draw it in as needed.

So, I can see some concern that air will still be forced into the cylinder but will not be burned and that may cause over presureisation of the dead cylinders.

Ahh wait a minute. As I think about this GM would have had to already figure this out. In V4 mode if the valves are closed in the compression stroke that air in the dead cylinder has to go somewhere. GM must have a way to push what would other wise be trapped air out when the cyliner is inactive. So I think we're discussing a moot point.

However I still think the pass through valve on the supercharger would allow AFM to operate normally on a blown engine. These valves are proven systems that have been in use for years to reduce the fuel consumption that superchargers cause. So I'm thinking whether you're in v8 or v4 mode the blower will vent whatever air isn't being used. and when a load is placed on the entire system everything should come to life in the correct way...

Just my thoughts, Any one else?
Good point...I hadn't thought about the bypass valve.

I encourage you (and everybody else who wants to learn) to read this: it's everything GM's put out in regards to the L76 for the media, should they use it....which they don't.(unless you consider us an extension of the media.

It explains in detail exactly how AFM works. LOMA, valvelifters, etc. Personally, I think it's very interesting...but I'm a grease-monky like that.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1978
Old 03-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #147
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS Z-281LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Good point...I hadn't thought about the bypass valve.

I encourage you (and everybody else who wants to learn) to read this: it's everything GM's put out in regards to the L76 for the media, should they use it....which they don't.(unless you consider us an extension of the media.

It explains in detail exactly how AFM works. LOMA, valvelifters, etc. Personally, I think it's very interesting...but I'm a grease-monky like that.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1978
Cool link, Dragoneye. i've always wondered just how they did that exactly, very informative.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #148
Dark Eric

Drives: 1998 Pontiac Firebird
Thanks for the video! The Camaro will be awesome!
Old 03-20-2008, 05:44 AM   #149
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
white w/blue stripes !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthman View Post
I like the white. I'm actually starting to like it more than the black.
our families '69 camaro was white. looked great. imagine white with blue interior. colored interiors- blue or red, etc would truely be cool and retro.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #150
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
Quote:
...I think the valves would still have to open and close since the piston is moving in the cylinder. If the valves were to stay closed the piston would be bound in the cylinder and couldn't push air our or draw it in as needed....

Actually all the valves are closed on the deactivated cylinders. You might think that it would stop the engine but it actually forces the air trapped in the cylinder to act as a spring for the piston which helps it go up and down with very little loss of energy. It would drag the engine down a lot more if the valves were left opened!

"When loads are light, the E38 automatically closes both intake and exhaust valves for half of the cylinders and cuts fuel delivery to those four. The valves re-open to activate all cylinders when the driver demands brisk acceleration or full torque to move a load. The engine’s electronic throttle control (ETC) is used to balance torque following cylinder deactivation or reactivation. The transition takes less than 20 milliseconds, and can’t be detected by the driver." http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1978
camero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:51 PM   #151
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by camero View Post
Actually all the valves are closed on the deactivated cylinders. You might think that it would stop the engine but it actually forces the air trapped in the cylinder to act as a spring for the piston which helps it go up and down with very little loss of energy. It would drag the engine down a lot more if the valves were left opened!

"When loads are light, the E38 automatically closes both intake and exhaust valves for half of the cylinders and cuts fuel delivery to those four. The valves re-open to activate all cylinders when the driver demands brisk acceleration or full torque to move a load. The engine’s electronic throttle control (ETC) is used to balance torque following cylinder deactivation or reactivation. The transition takes less than 20 milliseconds, and can’t be detected by the driver." http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1978

Cool! Thanks for the explanation.

So the bigger question is, will it work with a supercharger????
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:25 PM   #152
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I cant really tell from the photos but are the door/windows like the ones on the 4thgen camaro where there is no frame around the window? Does this cause any problems down the road like leaking ...?

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #153
Georgianne

Drives: chevys
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindingillusion View Post
Some one else did it, so I am next.

I would like to take this opportunity to invite GM to test drive here in WV. We could complete incredible research on:
Driving on curvy mountainous roads.
Dealing with punk from NJ who can't drive, but bring their cars here to school anyway,
Weaving in and out of traffic caused by PA people commuting to work who don't realize the speed limit goes up by 5mph when they enter WV.
D.C maybe good, but Morgantown is the best place to be creative where you park (because there is no parking). I once parked my Shadow in a bike rack because the Motorcycle parking was full.
You forgot to add to take Dramaine before entering state! (For motion sickness from all the turns.)
Georgianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #154
Georgianne

Drives: chevys
Quote:
Cool! Thanks for the explanation.

So the bigger question is, will it work with a supercharger????
Still waiting for the answer. Does anyone think they know how that will work?
Georgianne is offline   Reply With Quote