Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Scrming's Airaid and Injen Dyno results...

First and foremost, thank you to David at Airaid for sending a unit to test! I really appreciate it and I applaud them for that.

My disclaimer. The following results are my best attempt to dyno these 2 CAI kits. These results are not laboratory quality, scientific results... simply my best effort to compare these units. I also have a limited budget, despite what my children think, I am not made of money. I did not log any data, my objective was to simply get some dyno numbers. Not try and understand anything more than that.

And speaking of dyno. I have used the same dyno since the care was like 2 weeks old! Lidio, the shop owner, is very familiar with my car and he is very consistent in how we dyno the car. I explained what I wanted to accomplish today and so he made his best effort to do these pulls as fairly as possible.

All that being said, I'm sure there will be those who argue with my methods and my results... I will say right now, I did things as fairly as possible given my budget and my experience dynoing my car. If you have an issue with the way things were conducted fine... as I said these are my observations, but I will not get pulled into one of the insane debates about my testing... you can either believe them or not... it's simple as that! And when the tracks open I will do some more comparisons! (BTW, it is SNOWING HERE!)

All my previous comparison dyno's have simply used my previous dynos as the starting point. I did this again today. Yes, it would have been best if I had put the stock box back in and did some pulls, but I did not. I felt I had a enough data to compare the 2 CAIs, even if I had a slightly inaccurate baseline.

So first up was the Injen with the HOOD CLOSED:

So a gain of a little HP across the board. However some really nice torque gains in the lower RPMs. So I would say this supports my 1/10th reduction in my 0-60 MPH time.

I then pulled out the Injen and put in the Airaid. Overall we gave the car about 30 minutes to cool down. Again, we tried to be as fair as possible. So here is the best Airaid pull with the HOOD CLOSED:

So it would appear that I actually did lose some HP/TQ. Yes, I know I'm comparing it to a previous dyno BUT for the last two sessions my car has consistently dyno'ed at 254 or 255... With the Airaid I dyno'ed at 251.. So not a 10 RWHP loss, but then again I'm running 100% gasoline, 93 Octane...

We then opened the hood and did a pull..

So by opening the hood we basically got back to where the stock intake was at. There was some gains but it really wasn't until the car hit about 5500 RPM.. This is basically IDENTICAL to what Devildoc seen. With the hood closed the Airaid does not perform as well as the stock intake and with the hood open it basically performs the same as the stock intake until the upper RPMs.. Again, I did not log anything. I am not going to try and unravel why the Airaid performs as it does... I simply dyno'ed the car and presenting these results...

Ok... so let's say we throw out my "baseline" from my previous dyno session. Let's just compare the Airaid and the Injen. Again, we tried to be as fair as possible... Either you believe me or you don't... Again, I will repeat these tests at the the track...

So here are the comparison sheets:

Airaid - Injen - Hood closed:

For those curious how big that difference is...

Once the tracks open I will update this thread with actual timeslips...

And finally...

GM says I have an open differential... And I understand that with equal traction both tires can spin... in theory anyways... LOL

Final thoughts... First and foremost... Again a HUGE thank you to David and Airaid for sending me a unit to test. They knew that I would post my findings regardless of what they were and they sent me one anyways... To me that means they truly believe in this product... Why else would you send one to a guy you knew was going to put it under a microscope so to speak... So I applaud them for that... However it's hard to over look the data. Not only this dyno data but the shift in A/F and also others dyno data.. I'm not sure what the issue is but on my car the Airaid simply doesn't perform...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Well I now feel I am not the only one out there with a loss. Thank you scrming for doing the test with your own money also. We both know it takes alot to get something soooo small done. "For you who are about to die I salute you!"
Old 03-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
You think I could have lost so much hp/tq with the airaid since I used 87oct...you loss less with 93 so I'm thinking that is a safe conculsion?
Old 03-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Outstanding sir! Great post and is a huge help to the community.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Interesting! Thanks for your effort on this.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
Thanks for doing this for us man!
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Tx scrm! Now u need to add a paypal icon to ur sig so we can ante-up!
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
dirtydogg

Drives: .
not to change the subject, but i have no engine mods and with the traction control off i can always spin both rear tires. also nice info on the CAI's will help in future decisions on what engine mobs to make.
dirtydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
Mankind
Whats a Millwright?

Drives: 2LT/RS SIM, 05 Wht Denali
This was awesome Scrming. Thx for your open approach to the subject and for posting the data we were all looking forward to seeing.
Mankind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Thanks for the work scrming.........the information helps make decisions a lot easier.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
nachocheese

Drives: 1LT RS, SIM
David. Any thoughts?
nachocheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
John,
Thanks for doing the dynos and sharing those results........

It makes sense to me and others, as I stated months ago I did NOT get a gain with my Airaid in my 0-60mph runs.
Not to repeat my findings but I did 43 0-60mph runs ( stock, w/MRT exhaust, & w/Airaid ) All my runs are logged with Temp.,Hum.,Bar.Pres.,Alt. and DA........

I will be waiting for your Track results next month...........
97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #13
nachocheese

Drives: 1LT RS, SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97one View Post
John,
Thanks for doing the dynos and sharing those results........

It makes sense to me and others, as I stated months ago I did NOT get a gain with my Airaid in my 0-60mph runs.
Not to repeat my findings but I did 43 0-60mph runs ( stock, w/MRT exhaust, & w/Airaid ) All my runs are logged with Temp.,Hum.,Bar.Pres.,Alt. and DA........

I will be waiting for your Track results next month...........
So if we operate under the assumption that Airaid causes a rwhp loss, shouldn't your times have shown it to be slower with the Airaid on?
nachocheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
jtragolia

Drives: pontiac grand am
So just to spell it out based off your previous dyno sessions, Injen resulted in a +or- off ...hp & ...torque? And airaid resulted in a +or- off ...hp & ...torque?
jtragolia is offline   Reply With Quote