Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-25-2010, 01:05 AM   #29
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
I totally agree with you and have recently built my ls3 and found the same issues. Not sure what Ted is saying above. Stock Ls3 pistons are in fact cast pistons. I got 8 of em sitting in a box in the shed. Yes they are Hypoeuritic which means silicone added...but then they are cast and then finish milled. Definately not forged as the aftermarket pistons are. I know many are doing bolt on mods that are putting them at the max financially.....But it is not wise to not do related component upgrades at the same time and to do it right. It will be more costly in the long run IMO. Way to go Ed for stating the obvious. Sounds like you have been down the band aid road before and experienced the ramifications.
Yup installed one or two superchargers in my time...

xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #30
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
All I am saying is Hypereutectic pistons should not be rolled in the same catagory as Cast aluminum pistons of the past.

They are much stronger than they get credit for, I read recently that they can be up to 120% stronger than Forged pistons when it comes to flex, ring stability, ring seal, and skirt flexing.

Forged pistons will bend before they break, that is why they are desirable in less than Ideal State of tune conditions.

It is all in the Tune guys.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #31
trunto
Low Rider

Drives: Black Mamba (2011 2SS/RS)
Any advice as for vendors for the MSD boost a pump....?
trunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #32
OnkelMatze

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 AirForce
http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...ber=2351/424.0
OnkelMatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #33
trunto
Low Rider

Drives: Black Mamba (2011 2SS/RS)
any other ? for like not almost 500 bucks :(
trunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #34
GotMeSOM

Drives: Blown 02 SOM SS (630 hp old ride)
I used a BAP with my stock fuel pump on old 02 SS, it had a built motor, Vortech supercharger, cam, etc. It worked ok, the fuel pressure would rise with rpm's. I had a return line, fuel rails, injectors, etc. When I would whack it the fuel press would initially go down then gradually build up. I really didn't like that as it makes it harder to tune.

When I had the inline T Rex fuel pump with my stock fuel pump the fuel pressure was ROCK STEADY, no fluctuation whatsoever. I should have never changed it out.

my car made at the time 526 thru the automatic with a loose 3800 stall.

For power levels under 650 rwhp, a Boost A Pump should work fine.

Keep in mind when you go to a dual pump, you have to drop the IRS, drop the tank, etc, it's a major job to do, so if you're paying somebody to do it, it's gonna cost you even more money on top of parts price for install.
GotMeSOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:14 AM   #35
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMeSOM View Post
I used a BAP with my stock fuel pump on old 02 SS, it had a built motor, Vortech supercharger, cam, etc. It worked ok, the fuel pressure would rise with rpm's. I had a return line, fuel rails, injectors, etc. When I would whack it the fuel press would initially go down then gradually build up. I really didn't like that as it makes it harder to tune.

When I had the inline T Rex fuel pump with my stock fuel pump the fuel pressure was ROCK STEADY, no fluctuation whatsoever. I should have never changed it out.

my car made at the time 526 thru the automatic with a loose 3800 stall.

For power levels under 650 rwhp, a Boost A Pump should work fine.

Keep in mind when you go to a dual pump, you have to drop the IRS, drop the tank, etc, it's a major job to do, so if you're paying somebody to do it, it's gonna cost you even more money on top of parts price for install.
Totally agree with you on BAP for anything but a 10 or 11 Camaro. When we tested it thru the stock Fuel controller and was using the obdII readings all was fine. but when we took actual readings after the Fuel controller we saw a drop in voltage. When we checked manually the pressure although better it was not near the 58 lbs we desired. It was in the mid 40's under wot with and mid 30s without....Yet obdII showed better pressure....Problem is with the controller not the BAP....IMO.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:16 AM   #36
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
All I am saying is Hypereutectic pistons should not be rolled in the same catagory as Cast aluminum pistons of the past.

They are much stronger than they get credit for, I read recently that they can be up to 120% stronger than Forged pistons when it comes to flex, ring stability, ring seal, and skirt flexing.

Forged pistons will bend before they break, that is why they are desirable in less than Ideal State of tune conditions.

It is all in the Tune guys.

Ted.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote