Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 04-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
phillip72699
Cams 4 life!

Drives: 2002 Z-28 Camaro
2002 Z28 "security light" will not go off

Ok guys help me with this one..... On the instrument panel after I turn the ignition over you know how it shows all your instrument lights and such....well just yesterday I turned mine over and noticed that the "security light" stays on even after the car starts and will not go away....I tried checking the ignition itself by taking a can of air and blowing it into the ignition switch and blowing out the debris in there which it had but did not fix the issue. In the "manual" which I read for the first time in my life it said it could be the key or fuse but I couldn't find a fuse that needed to be replaced. The car turns over just fine with no issues so I am wondering if maybe it just got stuck or something.....Anyone have a clue as to what it could be or have had this issue before...should I be concerned? Thoughts gents........
phillip72699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
chevygirl2002

Drives: Silver 2002 SS Camaro
Send a message via MSN to chevygirl2002
Mine is having the same issue. A friend of mine, who owns a performance shop, sugested that it might be the 'vats system', but I don't know what that is lol.

I was also told that it may be the ignition key.....

chevygirl2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Does it run? When you start it, will the fuel gauge go up then back down to E? Power locks with a key fob? Have you recently replaced the battery or it was dead for a while?

Couple of things. The battery in your key fob may be weak. Or, the resistor in your key or contact point in the lock tumbler may be getting worn. If that's the case, it's not sending the correct ohm reading to VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System). When VATS kicks in it will kill power to the fuel pump and leave you stranded.

Starting from the ignition "On" position, turn the key as if you were going to start the car and then release the key prior to it turning over. This should leave you with the ignition in the "On" position and the engine not running.

Observe the security light on the dash. After approximately 10 minutes, the light will turn off. At this time, turn off the ignition and wait five seconds.

Repeat the above steps from the beginning a second time. Repeat a third time. Completing this entire procedure three times will allow your car to relearn the passlock sensor data code. Your vehicle will automatically recognize this code the next time you start the car. Before starting your car now that the data code has been reset, make sure you do so beginning with the ignition key in the "Off" position. In other words, after the third time, don't just crank the car from the "On" position. Turn it back to "Off", then try to start it.

Hope this helps
Old 04-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
Another easy explanation of VATS -- it's the little chip in your ignition key.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
OffseT
Maroboy2001 AKA Offset

Drives: Boosted Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Does it run? When you start it, will the fuel gauge go up then back down to E? Power locks with a key fob? Have you recently replaced the battery or it was dead for a while?

Couple of things. The battery in your key fob may be weak. Or, the resistor in your key or contact point in the lock tumbler may be getting worn. If that's the case, it's not sending the correct ohm reading to VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System). When VATS kicks in it will kill power to the fuel pump and leave you stranded.

Starting from the ignition "On" position, turn the key as if you were going to start the car and then release the key prior to it turning over. This should leave you with the ignition in the "On" position and the engine not running.

Observe the security light on the dash. After approximately 10 minutes, the light will turn off. At this time, turn off the ignition and wait five seconds.

Repeat the above steps from the beginning a second time. Repeat a third time. Completing this entire procedure three times will allow your car to relearn the passlock sensor data code. Your vehicle will automatically recognize this code the next time you start the car. Before starting your car now that the data code has been reset, make sure you do so beginning with the ignition key in the "Off" position. In other words, after the third time, don't just crank the car from the "On" position. Turn it back to "Off", then try to start it.

Hope this helps
I've been having the same issue, hopefully this proccess helps, I've been told that the chip in our key is either damaged or worn, therefore we need to purchase a new key..
Old 04-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroboy2001 View Post
I've been having the same issue, hopefully this proccess helps, I've been told that the chip in our key is either damaged or worn, therefore we need to purchase a new key..
That's quite possible. There's a resistor in the key that makes contact in the tumbler (ignition). If there isn't good contact or weak contact it confuses the VATS.