Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Kooks Headers Unboxed- With and Without Coating and mid pipes!

Two of the most common questions we hear are "Why should I buy a premium header", and "What does coated headers look like". With these pictures, we hope to answer both questions!

In this photoset, we have Kooks PT# 6511, which is a 1 7/8" header. The first header is coated Airborn 1700 Silver Jet Coating. The other is not coated at all. We also include pictures of the mid pipes, and high flow cats.

Unboxing...lots of packing material-

Finally some headers....

These headers are coated by Airborn Coatings in their 1700 Degree Silver Jet Coat coating. This coating is done inside and out with the outside polished to a high finish. The coating comes with a 3 year warranty. After 3 years, they recoat them for half price.

They coat all the way inside. Note the (Kooks patented) merge spike and ball and socket collector!

General picture-

These are likely the smoothest exhaust ports in the industry! Many manufacturers do not grind their ports to this level, or use oversize ports to get around doing it.

More pictures of the merge collector and ball and socket connection. Apart from the OEM catback connection, Kooks is a clampless system!-

Some more general pictures. Note each primary is one peice of tube. Kooks uses advanced CNC benders to avoid having to weld primaries togethor out of multiple pipes.

Now here is the plain stainless, uncoated version of these headers. Uncoated Stainless will not rust, but it will turn bronze. All Kooks stainless products come "mill finish"-

Side by Side pics with catted and off road connection pipes-

Kooks High flow Catted mid pipes. They are VERY high flow...enough so you can see light through them!

Catted and Off Road Mid Pipes Side by side. Unlike some brands, Kooks mid pipes do have rear O2 sensor bungs so you can retain ALL of your factory O2 sensors. They are on the off road mid pipes also, the pipe is just turned in a way that hides them.

Lastly, the hardware kit with bolts, gaskets, and O2 extensions. Everything needed to complete the install!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
DEANGE2001

Drives: 2010 2ss LSR CAI, Borla S axle back
Cant wait to get mine! Hopefully they are shipping soon...im getting all antsy in my pantsy.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Damn those look nice! LOVE me some KOOKS!

I'll add to the thread though as a proponent of coating. A lot of people question it being a performance thing. There are plenty of heated discussions about it. I say, don't worry about performance, worry about the looks.

I've had my KOOKS coated by a company that probably didn't do as good a job as the one Maryland uses. Still, 2.5 years and 12k miles later my headers look exactly the same as they did when I put them on. So imagine your headers always looking like the coated one.

On the flip side, here is what uncoated ones will look like in a few thousand miles. Some people don't care about the looks but if you even remotely care, get them coated.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 04-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Nice pics! Kooks look beautiful right out of the box, and they are shipped very well.

Maryland Speed has great pricing on Kooks headers as well. Definitely the place to get them from!
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 04-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
those look great!
Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
I prefer the uncoated.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
POS Dakota

Drives: GMs and Chryslers
This is how I like 'em.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
Maryland Speed uses an excellent Coater for their coatings!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
I have a set and I love it. The coating looks amazing and they sound great! Maryland Speed hooked me up!
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

Old 04-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
TECADON

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS
Well I have to say I love the look of coated headers, I use ThermalTechCoatings here in VA and they do great work. I started using them on turbo manifolds, turbos and down-pipes keep things looking nice, mainly cause some cast log manifolds and turbo housings rust.

Now with the header like Kooks I like the look both ways now that I look lol, to bad they don't do the rainbowish effect all over lol. Now performance debate its not like I can touch it to see how much cooler its running under hood, and yes keeping heat in creates a better velocity or what not but what are we talking not much difference not with quality products like Kooks.

But I did coat my 2" TSP headers just as piece of mind but my big issue is I need to put them on lol

Yes its quick...quicker then you think!!!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
ROD_SS

Drives: 2013 1SS Camaro and a truck
I'm content with my coated kooks headers.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #12
kmm1412
The Bolt-On Beast

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM w/CGM Stripes
Maryland Speed supplied my coated Kooks custom stepped headers and they are top notch.

Great service and communication with their customers.
MODS - 1LE Track Pack Suspension Upgrade|Kooks Custom Stepped Headers & HFCs|Cold Air Inductions Black CAI|ADM Performance Scoop|Vmax IBM CNC Ported Throttle Body|Rx Extreme IBM Catch Can & Breather|Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust w/Solo J-pipes|IBM Heritage Grill|LG ZL1 10 Spoke Replica Wheels w/Goodyear Supercar G2 Tires|Z/TA Rear Spoiler|463RWHP/459RWTQ Tune by Dale Cherry

Old 04-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
I also got my kooks headers from them just yesterday and they do look great out of the box. I got them uncoated. I kinda wish i would have gotten them coated instead but either way they look amazing. I can already tell that i will be shaving some pounds of my car by installing these along with the HFC and taking off my heavy stock exhaust manifolds along with the factory restrictive cats!! Thanks Brandon at Maryland Speed!!!
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWLZ SS View Post
I also got my kooks headers from them just yesterday and they do look great out of the box. I got them uncoated. I kinda wish i would have gotten them coated instead but either way they look amazing. I can already tell that i will be shaving some pounds of my car by installing these along with the HFC and taking off my heavy stock exhaust manifolds along with the factory restrictive cats!! Thanks Brandon at Maryland Speed!!!
You can still get them coated. I would recommend that you do that before putting them on. Once they are on you'll never take them off to get them coated.

You would've saved a little money get them coated already but the increased cost will still be easier to deal with than taking them off to coat or to kick yourself for a long time for not doing it before you installed them.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal

Closed Thread