Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #99
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
she was in a ls/lt, Onstar cannot slow it down, Vehicle slowdown is only on SS camaros, just thought i would clear that up.
unless it has changed since they made the training videos.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:08 PM   #100
missionbrent
Bringing the Sexy Back

Drives: 73GMC/05Jeep/07Cobalt/Ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
Why would you risk your own life trying to shoot a carjacker who's armed as well? Unless he dies instantly he's going to shoot you back. If he sees you reach for a gun he's going to shoot you. I swear people live in this fantasy land where shooting bad guys is like an action movie...they always miss and you never do. The car can be tracked...you'll get your car back. IT"S JUST A CAR.

If you shoot him (by the way, you all have concealed weapon licenses?) you risk getting killed yourself....the jacker is going to have his gun ON YOU when he jacks your car, so unless you can whip out your gun from where ever you have it hidden, shoot him lethally so he doesn't shoot you back, and then win your court case for killing someone, go for it!

This is in response to people thinking that carrying a gun while driving is a great idea. If you imagine the situation of how a carjacking takes place (instantly) there's no scenario where you're going to be able to get your gun out on an armed carjacker without being at least shot yourself.
Kind of defeated personality aren't you. Let the guy go so he may prey again. Plenty of situations to shoot the guy. You have to get out while he gets in or slide over while he gets in. A perfect time to shoot because he is changing levels. If you have tinted windows you can get the gun out without being seen and shoot through the window. Also there wouldn't be a court case. At least not in Michigan. They are called Castle Laws. A person has the right to defend their home and property (not just themselves) with lethal force. If you shot a man that was trying to car jack you with a gun the prosecuter would not press charges.

Also the average CCW or CPL (whichever you prefer) holder is far better with firearms that the criminal element.

There will never be a situation where I just let someone take something from me that they did not earn, so I would make them earn it.

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men." -Boondock Saints

Last edited by missionbrent; 09-02-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Clarified
missionbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #101
rays
V6 - It just isn't normal

Drives: 2010 2LT M6, F250 7.3L Diesel
It can be done. It should be done.

http://www.examiner.com/x-18149-Self...fense-Examiner

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/07/passenger_wrests_gun_from_carj.html

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/lo...ccGcyQP_w.cspx

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/14224999/detail.html

2LT RS M6 RJT Black leather
4/29/2009 Ordered
6/24 6000 Delivered
rays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #102
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Kind of defeated personality aren't you. Let the guy go so he may prey again.
So he may prey again? He's getting into a car with a homing beacon on it! Why would I risk my life or risk killing someone over something I'm going to get back?

There's a difference between defending myself and defending an inanimate object, especially one I'm going to get back anyway. You guys all talk big on the forums but when some doped up guy is screaming at you with a gun in your face you're going to do what he says or he's going to f***** shoot you.

I'm done trying to convince anyone here to be intelligent and see the big picture; it's not worth risking your life for a car...a car you're not going to lose in the first place. If your wife or kids are in the car then I'd understand. But just the car? Hell no.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #103
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Quote:
So he may prey again? He's getting into a car with a homing beacon on it! Why would I risk my life or risk killing someone over something I'm going to get back?

There's a difference between defending myself and defending an inanimate object, especially one I'm going to get back anyway. You guys all talk big on the forums but when some doped up guy is screaming at you with a gun in your face you're going to do what he says or he's going to f***** shoot you.

I'm done trying to convince anyone here to be intelligent and see the big picture; it's not worth risking your life for a car...a car you're not going to lose in the first place. If your wife or kids are in the car then I'd understand. But just the car? Hell no.
even if i wasnt going to get the car back, i value my life over a car, no matter how great it is. why? a)the car will have insurance b) cars can be replaced, i cannot be
Old 09-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #104
One Mean Chevy
Future Vette Owner (201?)

Drives: A Mobile Road Block
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog View Post
I wonder why she did not use the trunk release. It should have been glowing. I would have hit it on the first stop and called police to let them know I have onstar.
Since the carjacker had a gun, she may have been afriad the carjacker would shoot her in the back as she was running away. Or, the Car may have never stopped long enough to try to get out.

I hope she does NOT have any lasting effects from this.

GM, WILL SURVIVE AND WILL BE BETTER THAN EVER.

2011 Camaro SS (6-Speed) w/RS Package. Its Great to be back in Black and a Chevy Again.

----------------------------
One Mean Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #105
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
WOW it is uncommon for the abducted person to be left alive, that person is very lucky to be alive
Old 09-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #106
missionbrent
Bringing the Sexy Back

Drives: 73GMC/05Jeep/07Cobalt/Ninja
Quote:

JUST A CAR? She WAS abducted.

Spent 5 years in the military 3 of them in Iraq. There are worse things out there than guns. Also what about when you are NOT LET GO like tha lady in this very story wasn't. So there is a beacon on it, but it doesnt do much good when you are still in the car. More often than not people do not walk away from being kidknapped. The point is you DON'T KNOW what is going to happen, people are car jacked/kidnapped and dumped in a ditch every day. If you play the role of a victim you will be one everytime.

I see a lot more people with CPLs doing the shooting than getting shot in these situations and in all situations with possible abductions it is better to fight back. There is a reason they tell women to fight back when they are being abducted (FAR BETTER CHANCE of comming out alive). If you can guess how I know all of this then you might know why I know more about this topic than the average joe.

Last edited by missionbrent; 09-02-2009 at 08:50 PM.
missionbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #107
GRAHL
workaholic

Drives: 69 SS Lemans Blue
Quote:

This is in response to people thinking that carrying a gun while driving is a great idea. If you imagine the situation of how a carjacking takes place (instantly) there's no scenario where you're going to be able to get your gun out on an armed carjacker without being at least shot yourself.
She was kidnapped too BTW. Do you know what typically happens to kidnapped women? This one ended as good as could be, but how many others don't, shouldn't everyone have a chance at defending themselves. Look, there are guys in this forum, and across the country for that matter, who know how to use a gun, and most importantly when to use one. You calling people stupid and unintelligent....you're no better than the "tough guys" you're criticizing. Now go watch "The View".

But back on topic, thank God she was ok. The Camaro is a hot car, but this could happen to anyone in any car.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #108
navyflyer72

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6spd, BLK/CYB GRY
Quote:
If anyone has seen Reservoir Dogs, they would know IT"S STUPID to carry a gun in your car and try to fend off a carjacker. It's just a movie but that's how most self-defense situations go.

It's just a car...especially a car that can be remotely located. Give the thief your car and don't do something stupid like carry a gun and get in a firefight.
You're assuming that the person will be satisfied with just the car, remember you can identify them now and while they are willing to do something like carjack you which could end them up back in jail, they may not want to go back to jail, so for a lot of hardened, career criminals they don't mind killing you to hopefully not get identified later... stupid logic, but enough for me to take EVERY precaution when it comes to protecting my family, myself and my Camaro/property. I will not go down without a solid fight, ever, anywhere, period.
Oh, and I ALWAYS have superior firepower and the knowledge and training to more than adequately employ it, so yes, if there are any wanna be car jackers looking for a 2ss around here... well, you get the idea. Let's just say I won't be the one riding in the trunk.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #109
navyflyer72

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6spd, BLK/CYB GRY
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
I'm glad to hear she was ok! One word comes to mind for stolen cars and with the ease of disabling On Star...... LoJack!

I agree with Stoutfiles..... point well said! To add to that.... IF you get the opportunity to actually kill the carjacker, then you'll also have the opportunity to explain to a jury why you didn't just let them take the car! We have the right to carry a gun but not the right to kill (outside the time of war), so even if you are defending yourself...... you'll still have to prove that in court! That said...... I wish all thieves caught in the act could disappear from the face of the earth for good!

1. I find it interesting that you point out that a person who is being carjacked at gunpoint does not have the right to kill. In fact that person has every right to defend themselves in any manner if they fear for their life, until such time as they no longer fear for their life, which most people in this country (maybe) would agree you would fear for your life when being carjacked at gunpoint.

2. Then you say that you wish that all thieves could magically disappear from the face of the earth if caught in the act... Hmmm, putting them 6 feet under is definitely making them disappear from the face of the earth. I am a little tired of our tax dollars paying to keep criminals in prison, getting 3 squares a warm bed and cable tv... so rest assured I won't lose a minute of sleep if I have to drop the hammer on some slacker that wants to threaten my life, or those around me so they can "go on a joy ride"

And for anyone out there who thinks a law-abiding, armed citizen = paranoid, I think you ought to ask that woman how paranoid it is or any of the other thousands of carjacking, kidnapping, etc victims out there today who are lucky to count themselves as those who lived through an ordeal such as that. Yes, pulling a weapon of any sort in a confrontation is a calculated risk that definitely needs careful consideration (and training) before escalating to that level, but to be prepared and trained to do so, oftentimes eliminates the possibility of ever getting into that situation in the first place. These situations can often be avoided simply by being extra aware of your surroundings and realizing that if things feel weird, it's because they are.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #110
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
Eerr, uummm, I have witnesses. I was, ummmm, home, by myself...ya...thats it. Home sleeping by myself.

SS, A8, Procharger, M&T's and stuff...
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #111
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Old 09-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #112
ARMORINE
im the challenger!

Drives: 2007 shelby gt
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyflyer72 View Post
1. I find it interesting that you point out that a person who is being carjacked at gunpoint does not have the right to kill. In fact that person has every right to defend themselves in any manner if they fear for their life, until such time as they no longer fear for their life, which most people in this country (maybe) would agree you would fear for your life when being carjacked at gunpoint.

2. Then you say that you wish that all thieves could magically disappear from the face of the earth if caught in the act... Hmmm, putting them 6 feet under is definitely making them disappear from the face of the earth. I am a little tired of our tax dollars paying to keep criminals in prison, getting 3 squares a warm bed and cable tv... so rest assured I won't lose a minute of sleep if I have to drop the hammer on some slacker that wants to threaten my life, or those around me so they can "go on a joy ride"

And for anyone out there who thinks a law-abiding, armed citizen = paranoid, I think you ought to ask that woman how paranoid it is or any of the other thousands of carjacking, kidnapping, etc victims out there today who are lucky to count themselves as those who lived through an ordeal such as that. Yes, pulling a weapon of any sort in a confrontation is a calculated risk that definitely needs careful consideration (and training) before escalating to that level, but to be prepared and trained to do so, oftentimes eliminates the possibility of ever getting into that situation in the first place. These situations can often be avoided simply by being extra aware of your surroundings and realizing that if things feel weird, it's because they are.
alright folks im a mustang owner hope to be a future camaro owner(not getting rid of my stang! i like both cars!) i can tell you right now that if some yahoo decides to try and take my car their going to get a bullet either in their face or the back of their head as they try and drive off. i live in Oklahoma, here we have a law called castle doctrine. originally it was intended to only extend to ones own land. however its right to defense portion extends where ever you are in oklahoma. if you feel reasonably threatened(ie some one has a knife or has threatened your life). YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO RESPOND WITH LETHAL FORCE. there is always an investigation by the cops after ward and almost always the defender gets off the hook. its simple folks if you or your property is threatened you can kill. if some one tryed to car jack me at the gas station, parking garage wherever. i DO NOT HAVE TO TRY AND FLEE. i can put 7 in their head legally.

the right to defend yourself is a basic right.

on to a more important mater was the driver ok? i haven't seen anything other then she got away.

EDIT: sorry if i seem alittle over the top with that. most Oklahomans feel rather strong about firearms and the right to defend one self.