Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Has anyone put in just 1LE axles and not the 1LE hubs?

I'm putting in 1LE gears and axles. Need to know for sure that I don't need the hubs.

Has anyone actually done the 1LE axles without the hubs?
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
SumWhite1LE
King of All

Drives: 2014 Summit White Z28 #275
You cant do it. The 1LE axle shafts are longer. You have to have the hubs too.
SumWhite1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumWhite1LE View Post
You cant do it. The 1LE axle shafts are longer. You have to have the hubs too.
And you know this how? The hubs look identical. The 1LE axle fit in my SS hubs. Even with the zl1 hubs on the 1LE axles, the threaded part of axle sticks out further than the SS setup. It would be one thing if the hubs were different sizes, so I don't see why they wouldn't work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
SumWhite1LE
King of All

Drives: 2014 Summit White Z28 #275
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
And you know this how? The hubs look identical. The 1LE axle fit in my SS hubs. Even with the zl1 hubs on the 1LE axles, the threaded part of axle sticks out further than the SS setup. It would be one thing if the hubs were different sizes, so I don't see why they wouldn't work.

Cause I own one. And why is there a different GM part number?
After 2 weeks of owning my car my drivers rear axle broke. The dealership quick fixed it and the shaft they had put in was not the same length and was causing the diff to leak. The axle shaft was almost pulled out of the diff. Needless to say they replaced it with the right part. Now while I dont know for sure, I gave my apparent opinion.
SumWhite1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumWhite1LE View Post
Cause I own one. And why is there a different GM part number?
After 2 weeks of owning my car my drivers rear axle broke. The dealership quick fixed it and the shaft they had put in was not the same length and was causing the diff to leak. The axle shaft was almost pulled out of the diff. Needless to say they replaced it with the right part. Now while I dont know for sure, I gave my apparent opinion.
You own one? Wow, I own a set of 1LE axles and hubs, and a set ofSS hubs and axles. And I did the install. Still doesn't make me an expert.

OP, you might be the first to actually try it. The problem with this forum is people pass off opinions as if they are fact. Few have any actual hands on experience.Your best best is to just use the heavier duty ZL1 hubs. I paid less than $240 for the set.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:21 AM   #6
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Ok while you guys are talking, I am looking a getting a complete 3.91 1LE pumpkin. I am planning on using it with my SS axles. Is that going to work?
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #7
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Ok while you guys are talking, I am looking a getting a complete 3.91 1LE pumpkin. I am planning on using it with my SS axles. Is that going to work?
Why not just get the gears? Alot cheaper and very easy to install.... you'll need someone with some gear experience and a press to take off the and re-install the pinion bearing and the rest is pretty much slide and slide in.
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
Scott@Bjorn3D

If I get the entire pumpkin from my dealer I will keep my drivetrain warranty intact. Dealerships seem to not have allot of experience put in gears. If I snap and axle or anything the cost savings would be gone right away and drive train warranty would not be there if some other shop did the gears.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Get the dealership to do the gear install. I got a quote for $800 installed for the 3:91's and warranty intact from a dealership.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #10
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
$800 is a very good price. Honestly I am shooting for the full pumpkin and dealer install with Livernois tune.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
stikSS
9691 & 97586

The warranty is all fine and dandy but if it or something associated to it breaks... the dealership is gonna replace it with what is factory installed. You'll be right back to this point again... having to buy another pumpkin if it's damaged. Basically your warranty is covering the labor charges. I just went through this with my lifters. I had a custom cam which is not associated to the lifter failure and GM warrantied the problem.... but I had to buy a new 400.00 custom cam or go back to factory which they would've covered... but that requires alot more work. Just food for thought. Don't get sold on all this warranty stuff... yes its great and certainly helps but it only covers factory installed equipment.

Sent from my Apple sued Galaxy Note 2
Old 03-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
Scott@Bjorn3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikSS View Post
The warranty is all fine and dandy but if it or something associated to it breaks... the dealership is gonna replace it with what is factory installed. You'll be right back to this point again... having to buy another pumpkin if it's damaged. Basically your warranty is covering the labor charges. I just went through this with my lifters. I had a custom cam which is not associated to the lifter failure and GM warrantied the problem.... but I had to buy a new 400.00 custom cam or go back to factory which they would've covered... but that requires alot more work. Just food for thought. Don't get sold on all this warranty stuff... yes its great and certainly helps but it only covers factory installed equipment.

That is why I would buy the GM 1LE pumpkin. Entire car still covered and they will fix the speedo. GM even states you can buy the parts to make a SS a 1LE from them and have them dealer installed and be covered. There are to many things with the 1LE I did not like, the wrapped hood, the suede wrapped wheel and shifter. I am thinking of just slowly adding the 1LE parts I want, have already installed the strut tower brace when I bought the car.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #13
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikSS View Post

Actually your wrong. If he buys and installs it at the dealer its covered, the labor is covered by his factory warranty, the parts are covered on a GM parts warranty unless the part has a limited or no warranty which would be stated in the GM Performance Parts catalog where it is listed.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Quote:
Originally Posted by urr2slo View Post
Actually your wrong. If he buys and installs it at the dealer its covered, the labor is covered by his factory warranty, the parts are covered on a GM parts warranty unless the part has a limited or no warranty which would be stated in the GM Performance Parts catalog where it is listed.
You don't understand what I'm saying... the car comes with 323 or 345 gears. He buys 391 or the pumpkin... even though its a GM part... if it fails... they are gonna replace the part that came in the car under warranty. Each dealer is diff and they may offer to offset some cost if he wanted to replace it with a new 391 but legally they only have to cover what came on the car from the factory.